* ubuntu 12.4 and git gnus
@ 2012-05-12 18:11 George McNinch
From: George McNinch @ 2012-05-12 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi all,

I (perhaps foolishly) just upgrade my Ubuntu to the pangolin
version. And now my git gnus is broken.

I'm using the "emacs-snapshot" from

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/cassou/emacs/ubuntu precise main

and emacs24 otherwise seems to work fine.

running make in the gnus directory, I get

,----
| URLDIR="/usr/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/url/" W3DIR="no" lispdir="/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/gnus" srcdir=. emacs -batch -q -no-site-file -l ./dgnushack.el -f dgnushack-compile
| No w3: Cannot open load file
| No MH variant found on the system
| Wrote assistant.elc
| Wrote auth-source.elc
| Wrote binhex.elc
| Wrote canlock.elc
| Wrote color.elc
| Wrote compface.elc
`----

and then the compilation freezes (while byte-compling "deuglify.el",
which requires 'gnus-art).

If I start emacs, visit (say) the gnus-art.el file, and M-x eval-buffer,
emacs freezes. (C-g doesn't even work -- I have to kill the emacs job).

Here is another data point. Apparently there are some issues related to
pycurl and gnutls (I didn't really understand what I read). [e.g.
the ubuntu utility

  add-apt-repository

wasn't working. I followed a suggestion to fix this by compiling pycurl
against openssl rather than gnutls).

Since I know that in various ways gnus uses gnutls, it made me wonder if
this is related.

Anyone know anything about this/these issues? any suggestions?

Thanks!

best,
george

--
  ,-------
  | George McNinch <gmcninch@gmail.com>
  | http://gmcninch.math.tufts.edu
  `-------

* Re: ubuntu 12.4 and git gnus
@ 2012-05-12 18:53 ` George McNinch
From: George McNinch @ 2012-05-12 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi again,

In fact, the problem that I reported earlier seems to be just a problem
with Ubuntu 12.4 -- in fact, the "old" gnus bundled with emacs23 fails
to run, probably for the same reason that git-gnus fails.

But I don't know how to confirm/test whether or not this is related
somehow to gnutls -- does that even make sense? I'm really just grabbing
at straws.

But boy am I bummed that I upgraded , since now my laptop is
more-or-less worthless (=gnus-less) until I get this worked out. Sigh...

best,
gm

--
  ,-------

@ 2012-05-13 11:57   ` George McNinch
From: George McNinch @ 2012-05-13 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Huh.

Sorry for all the noise. Whatever the problem was, it is gone this
morning. (Well, I was forced to reboot because suspend wasn't
working... so maybe the reboot fixed the issue).