* Starting Gnus from sctach and no zombies
@ 2008-11-07 16:34 Desmond Rivet
From: Desmond Rivet @ 2008-11-07 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi all,

As the title says, I'm starting Gnus from nothing. That means no News
directory and no newsrc file. I'm using the most recent gnus on Debian
Lenny.

Here's my configuration:

(setq user-mail-address "desmond_news@videotron.ca")
(setq user-full-name "Desmond Rivet")
(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.motzarella.org"))
(setq gnus-subscribe-newsgroup-method 'gnus-subscribe-zombies)
(setq gnus-save-killed-list t)
(setq gnus-check-new-newsgroups 'always)

Here is what I *thought* would happen:

- given that I have no newsrc file, Gnus would treat all the groups on
  the server as new.

- given that I have the gnus-subscribe-newsgroup-method variable set
  to gnus-subscribe-zombies, these new groups would be treated as
  zombies (I know this is supposed to be the default, but I wanted to
  leave to no doubt).

- given that gnus-save-killed-list is set t, we should save the killed
  groups (and I assume zombies too? Tell me if that's wrong), in (I
  assume?) the newsrc.eld file.

- given that gnus-check-new-newsgroups is set to always, the this
  process would happen whenever I start Gnus.

So, I started Gnus and...nothing. Typing A z gives me nothing except a
"No zombie groups" message. Typing A A does the trick - I can see all
the groups on the server - but this is not what I was expecting.

Can someone shed some light on this?

Thanks in advance!

Desmond

only message in thread, other threads:[~2008-11-07 16:34 UTC | newest]