* SSL or TLS ?
@ 2005-02-12 20:55 Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2005-02-12 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Just a quick and dumb question:

is Gnus able to deal with TLS ?

I want my Gnus to connect on my IMAP server using TLS exclusively
and so I could get rid of SSL on it.

Same for my SMTP.

Ideas ?
--
.o.   Xavier Maillard            Tel: +33 6 68 04 64 37
..o

* Re: SSL or TLS ?
@ 2005-02-14 21:34 ` m. kolb
From: m. kolb @ 2005-02-14 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Just a quick and dumb question:
>
> is Gnus able to deal with TLS ?
>
> I want my Gnus to connect on my IMAP server using TLS exclusively
> and so I could get rid of SSL on it.
>
> Same for my SMTP.

It will work for both.  you need to set nnimap-stream to ssl for IMAP
and for SMTP you need to install gnutls and set your
smtpmail-starttls-credentials.  SMTP is actually done by a separate
(not-gnus) lisp package, smtpmail (see here:
http://josefsson.org/smtpmail.html)

./muk

--
m. kolb  <muk@msu.edu>

* Re: SSL or TLS ?
@ 2005-02-14 21:59   ` Jochen Küpper
From: Jochen Küpper @ 2005-02-14 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

muk-mhe/1IdEl88@public.gmane.org (m. kolb) writes:

> smtpmail-starttls-credentials. SMTP is actually done by a separate
> (not-gnus) lisp package, smtpmail

Is there actually a smtpmail that supports authentication on Emacs 21.3.1?

Greetings,
Jochen
        (Part 3 you find in my messages before fall 2003.)

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: SSL or TLS ?
@ 2005-02-15 14:29     ` m. kolb
From: m. kolb @ 2005-02-15 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jochen Küpper <usenet@jochen-kuepper.de> writes:

> muk@msu.edu (m. kolb) writes:
>
>> smtpmail-starttls-credentials. SMTP is actually done by a separate
>> (not-gnus) lisp package, smtpmail
>
> Is there actually a smtpmail that supports authentication on Emacs 21.3.1?

I do not know, sorry.  I am running out of CVS:

nibbler; emacs --version
GNU Emacs 22.0.50.2
GNU Emacs comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
You may redistribute copies of Emacs
under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING.

I can tell you this, at least:
nibbler; CVS status lisp/mail/smtpmail.el
File: smtpmail.el       Status: Up-to-date

   Working revision:    1.72
   Repository revision: 1.72    /cvsroot/emacs/emacs/lisp/mail/smtpmail.el,v
   Sticky Tag:          (none)
   Sticky Date:         (none)
   Sticky Options:      (none)

And that Simon Josefsson made the mods to support AUTH and TLS:
Modified by Simon Josefsson <jas@pdc.kth.se>, 22/2/99, to support SMTP
Authentication by the AUTH mechanism.  See
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2554.txt

Modified by Simon Josefsson <simon@josefsson.org>, 2000-10-07, to
support STARTTLS.  Requires external program
ftp://ftp.opaopa.org/pub/elisp/starttls-*.tar.gz.  See
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2246.txt,
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2487.txt

Hope this helps.

./muk

--
m. kolb  <muk@msu.edu>

* Re: SSL or TLS ?
@ 2005-02-15 16:02     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-02-15 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Feb 14 2005, Jochen Küpper wrote:

> muk@msu.edu (m. kolb) writes:
>
>> smtpmail-starttls-credentials. SMTP is actually done by a separate
>> (not-gnus) lisp package, smtpmail
>
> Is there actually a smtpmail that supports authentication on Emacs 21.3.1?

Simon Josefsson's `smtpmail.el' is supposed to work with Emacs 21, see
<URL:http://josefsson.org/emacs-rfc2554.html>.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,