From: Nuutti Kotivuori <naked@iki.fi>
Subject: Re: nnimap slow on big groups
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 21:27:46 +0200	[thread overview]

Simon Josefsson wrote:
> Nuutti Kotivuori <naked@iki.fi> writes:
>> The problem is that nnimap checks if the read article ranges
>> correspond to the 'seen' list on the server, and so fetches only
>> the article numbers of 65k seen articles - but even that is
>> excessive.
>
> I think that is by design, and there isn't, AFAIK, any simple way of
> fixing it.  Changing the design is one option, but that is typically
> non-trivial.

Okay, this doesn't completely alleviate the problem, but:

,----[ nnimap-request-update-info-internal ]
| ;; seen might lack articles marked as read by other
| ;; imap clients! we correct this
| seen (append seen (imap-search "SEEN"))
`----

What will happen if this is not done? Will it mean that those articles
will appear unread in Gnus until read in Gnus - or will it just mean
that those articles show up in the summary buffer but when their flags
are fetched, they will be shown as seen anyway? Or will there be
spontaneous internal combustion later on?

That place is the only place that bothers me in daily use - and I can
live with either option 1 or 2 - and I might try fixing option 3 if it
so happens. Or if none of those work too well, I might change the seen
to search only the latest week by arrival times, which would be quite
okay by me.

Ofcourse this does not remove the fact that the whole read range is
first uncompressed, then differenced and then compressed again, which
again on a 65k article list is not neglible, but it is not too bad.

-- Naked