* Re: How to access mail in local maildir?
       [not found] ` <v9u18l5q4a.fsf@marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de>
@ 2003-08-14 21:37   ` Bijan Soleymani
From: Bijan Soleymani @ 2003-08-14 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:

> Try reading the manual about what `mail-sources' is about.

Thanks I'll look into it.

>> This is why I am asking on this group to see what the proper way to
>> access maildir folders is.
>
> See (info "(gnus)Maildir") in Gnus 5.10.  Maybe in Oort Gnus v0.17
> this section wasn't included, but there was a link to a web page
> instead.  I'd strongly recommend to upgrade to 5.10.2 (latest
> release).

I read that part of the manual. That told me about maildir and tons of
variable relating to it, but it didn't tell me how to access it. I'll
try looking through the manual again.

> BTW, as you use Oort, you probably have the Incoming* files somewhere,
> see the variable `mail-source-directory'.

OMG thank you ever so much. I always wondered what those weird
Incoming-430434 files were. I just looked and found 15000 of my old
mails. I then spent 30 minutes and wrote a perl script that converted
them all to maildir.

Well I didn't have any clue what format they were in. Some were one
message per file (my recent mail), and some were in many messages per
file (older mail). I chopped those up into seperate files, got rid of
some weird characters (4 control-a's in a row). And then piped all the
individual messages to procmail.

As I said the whole thing took me about 30 minutes (the script is 40
lines). Surprisingly enough it worked perfectly.

I'm really starting to like Perl :)

Thanks a million,
Bijan

only message in thread, other threads:[~2003-08-14 21:37 UTC | newest]