* more info on gnus missing the fact that there are new messages
@ 2003-01-12 14:00 Timur Aydin
       [not found] ` <m3n0m65uxf.fsf@quimbies.gnus.org>
From: Timur Aydin @ 2003-01-12 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I am using Oort 0.11 from CVS (retrieved today) and gnus doesn't seem
to handle the new messages count properly. Here is the minimal setup
that I do to duplicate the problem:

1) I have installed emacs 21.2 from the Red Hat 8.0 RPM files.
2) Then I have renamed the /usr/share/emacs/21.2/lisp/gnus to
   gnus-21.2.
3) I have retrieved oort from CVS, did ./configure and specified the
   lisp path as /usr/share/emacs/21.2/lisp/gnus and the etc path as
   /usr/share/emacs/21.2/etc. Then I did make and make install.
4) Then deleted the News/ and Mail/ directories and all .newsrc*
   files.
5) I ran emacs and then M-x gnus-no-server.
6) I subscribed to gnu.emacs.gnus.
7) I restarted gnus and did a catch up on the gnu.emacs.gnus group (0
   new articles). Then in the server window, I activated agent support
   using J a.
8) Then I restarted gnus and hit "g" in the group buffer. As expected,
   no new messages. I then entered the group and retrieved 500
   articles. I left the group and hit "g" again. This time, gnus told
   me there are 197 new messages!
9) I restarted gnus again, hit "g" in the group buffer. No new
   messages. I then entered gnu.emacs.gnus and retrieved 500
   messages. Because the messages are cached in the agent, this
   completed insstantly. I left the group and hit "g" again. This
   time, gnus told me there are 205 new messages!
10) I repeat the above again and now gnus tell me there are 207 new
    messages !

Can anybody tell me what is happening? I am using the giganews news
service over a dialup line.

My general impression is that gnus is not aware of the most recently
added messages. If I am away for several days and enter gnus and hit g
in the group buffer, gnus shows new messages, but the count is far
less than the actual number of new messages.

Just to see whether there is a problem with the news server, I have
installed "pan" (pimp ass newsreader) and the server seems to be
fine.

Here is my .gnus

(setq user-mail-address "timuraydin@ttnet.net.tr")
(setq user-full-name "Timur Aydin")
(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news-east.giganews.com"))

I can also provide the relevant files in News/ or .newsrc.eld, if
necessary...

--
Timur Aydin

* Re: more info on gnus missing the fact that there are new messages
       [not found]                         ` <84r8bitapo.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>
@ 2003-01-12 20:00                           ` Vasily Korytov
From: Vasily Korytov @ 2003-01-12 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

 KG> deskpot@myrealbox.com (Vasily Korytov) writes:
 >> BTW, adding the texi subdir to Info-directory-list also has annoying
 >> side-effects.

 KG> What annoying side effects?

 KG> (I've been doing this for some years now, and I'm wondering what I
 KG> missed :-)

I think, you didn't miss anything. =)) Here, in XEmacs, there're
(almost) no checks, if the file in the info path is actually info file
-- so all (or nearly all) files in the texi subdir show up -- e.g.
Makefile. That's annoying. GNU Emacs is wiser in this question?

---Vas