* Signatures - an idea ?
@ 2002-07-15 11:11 Per-Karsten Nordhaug
       [not found] ` <87bs99usnt.fsf@enberg.org>
From: Per-Karsten Nordhaug @ 2002-07-15 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Heya, all...

I'm no elisp guru, that's why I post this here for you all...
Has anyone (other than me) thought a little code snippet that could
_remove_ the signature (other than using posting styles), when you're
in the message buffer would be nice ?

I spend some time and effort reporting spam - put I've only bothered
to make one signature. Whenever I report stuff to abuse etc., a
feature to remove the standard signature from the buffer I'm in would
be *so* useful...

Any takers ?

--
ask not what you can do for your country,                 ,''`.
ask what your country did to you.                         : :' :

* Re: Signatures - an idea ?
@ 2002-07-15 11:32 ` Glyn Millington
       [not found] ` <87bs99usnt.fsf@enberg.org>
From: Glyn Millington @ 2002-07-15 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Per-Karsten Nordhaug <pnordhau@chello.no> writes:

> Heya, all...
>
> I'm no elisp guru, that's why I post this here for you all...
> Has anyone (other than me) thought a little code snippet that could
> _remove_ the signature (other than using posting styles), when you're
> in the message buffer would be nice ?
>
> I spend some time and effort reporting spam - put I've only bothered
> to make one signature. Whenever I report stuff to abuse etc., a
> feature to remove the standard signature from the buffer I'm in would
> be *so* useful...

Is this any use?

;; replace-signature will replace the signature in an email (in case it's
;; inappropriate) Lifted this from Charles Seebold's .emacs

(defun replace-signature ()
  (interactive)
  (save-excursion
    (goto-char (point-min))
    (search-forward-regexp "^--")
    (search-forward-regexp "^--" (point-max) nil 1)
    (next-line 1)
    (beginning-of-line)
    (delete-region (point) (point-max))))

(global-set-key [f9] 'replace-signature) ; hitting "F9" removes  the signature

Glyn

* Re: Signatures - an idea ?
       [not found]   ` <874rf1yxom.fsf@chello.no>
@ 2002-07-15 12:52     ` Sherilyn
From: Sherilyn @ 2002-07-15 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Per-Karsten Nordhaug <pnordhau@chello.no> writes:

> [Henrik Enberg]
> > Per-Karsten Nordhaug <pnordhau@chello.no> writes:
> > (defun per-kill-signature ()

[...]

> This was *somewhat* what I had in mind, but not quite. 'been puzzling
> around with something similar... But, what this does is remove ALL
> text after the "-- " marking the signature - which is not quite what I
> want when reporting spam - 'cause the text in the spam post/mail is
> quoted AFTER my signature - and since this removes everything after
> "-- ", it removes stuff I'd like to keep...

The signature, if any, should probably be at the end of an email.
Many existing email clients will tend to treat everything after the
signature separator as the signature and so you cannot guarantee that
the recipient will actually see anything that appears after it.
--
Sherilyn
http://www.greedycorporate.com/minority-report/