As I said in the report, unless I'm mistaken, gnus-tmp-prev-subject's sole purpose is to be compared with simp-subject. Since the latter goes through gnus-simplify-subject-fully, it seems right that the former would go through it too… So far the report has not received much attention. I figure it could be a good idea to ask this list for feedback: is this an issue someone else has run into? Could it be something from my configuration (which I've posted as a footnote in the bug report)? Also, I imagine that this list is one of the best places to find people who can answer the question I asked in my bug report's second footnote: how would one go about writing an ERT test case for this? Thank you for your time.