* Posting styles, identities... and my stupdity
@ 2014-09-30  9:51 Igor Sosa Mayor
From: Igor Sosa Mayor @ 2014-09-30  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi,

I know: this question has been posed several times but I can not find
the appropiate configuration for my needs.

I need (as everyone) different identities for job, private email, etc.
As far as I see there are in gnus at least two possibilities:
1. gnus-alias
2. posting styles.

I need two things:
1. change the identity on the fly, i.e., even in the middle of writing a
   message. This is achieved by gnus-alias without problems.
2. attach groups with a specific identity. This is done very well with
   posting styles.

Unfortunately I have the impression I can not use both solutions,
because somehow gnus-alias seems to overwrite the posting style.

So my question: how can I say gnus to use always an identity when I'm in
a specific group (using gnus-alias). I know there are the variable
gnus-alias-identity-rules, but I can not manage to create a rule that
says: "if I'm in the group nnimap+eui:INBOX use identity X".

Any hints?

--
:: Igor Sosa Mayor     :: joseleopoldo1792@gmail.com ::
:: GnuPG: 0x1C1E2890   :: http://www.gnupg.org/      ::

* Re: Posting styles, identities... and my stupdity
@ 2014-10-03 15:06 ` Igor Sosa Mayor
From: Igor Sosa Mayor @ 2014-10-03 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Igor Sosa Mayor <joseleopoldo1792@gmail.com> writes:

> I need (as everyone) different identities for job, private email, etc.
> As far as I see there are in gnus at least two possibilities:
> 1. gnus-alias
> 2. posting styles.

Finally I think I will try a solution setting the variable
gnus-alias-identity-rules. It is not perfect, but I think I can live
with it...

Thanks for your answers.

--

@ 2014-10-12 19:05                   ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2014-10-12 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> That's the way I would like it but I can see situations where it
> wouldn't do. For example people who constantly speak on the phones
> when they work - they get like hundreds of calls every day. Then I
> would like a separate phone number for work as well.

Exactly.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "och jag är lika sjuk som salig Freuds teorier."             Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Posting styles, identities... and my stupdity
       [not found]               ` <mailman.11046.1413133054.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2014-10-12 18:36                 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-10-12 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> If all my friends use my work email-address and I
> get another job, it matters quite a lot.

Even so, you can tell your jobbmates to use your
private email. And then split it if you need to keep
order that way.

Isn't it better to have one "interface" to the outside
world and then solve all organization that matters to
you behind that interface?

That's the way I would like it but I can see
situations where it wouldn't do. For example people
who constantly speak on the phones when they work -
they get like hundreds of calls every day. Then I
would like a separate phone number for work as well.

> You can talk all you will about uniforms and content
> being the only thing that matters - if the email
> doesn't reach me, all that is besides the point.

Uniforms, ha ha :)

--
underground experts united

* Re: Posting styles, identities... and my stupdity
@ 2014-10-12 16:57               ` Adam Sjøgren
       [not found]               ` <mailman.11046.1413133054.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2014-10-12 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> asjo@koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) writes:

>> Yes. I would _never_ use my work email address for private emails,
>> and I would _never_ use my private email address for work email.

> Why not? What does it matter?

If all my friends use my work email-address and I get another job, it
matters quite a lot.

You can talk all you will about uniforms and content being the only
thing that matters - if the email doesn't reach me, all that is besides
the point.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "I think grown-ups just act like they know what              Adam Sjøgren
  they're doing."                                        asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Posting styles, identities... and my stupdity
@ 2014-10-03 12:21       ` Igor Sosa Mayor
From: Igor Sosa Mayor @ 2014-10-03 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Peter Münster <pmlists@free.fr> writes:

> On Wed, Oct 01 2014, Igor Sosa Mayor wrote:
>
>> And yes: there are some cases in which I want to change the identity on
>> the fly.
>
> Perhaps the following code snippets could help (it's about using "roles"
> and cycling signatures):

thanks. I will try to understand how it works and will try it.

--

       [not found]           ` <mailman.10278.1412260103.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2014-10-03  0:59             ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]               ` <mailman.11046.1413133054.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-10-03  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Yes. I would _never_ use my work email address for
> private emails, and I would _never_ use my private
> email address for work email.

Why not? What does it matter?

I don't consider mail a uniform (tho I can instantly
spot if someone is custom to doing it or not) - it is a
method of communication. The contents is what matters -
just as you can speak formally just as you can write
informally (even in paleo-Greek).

>> Quoting should always be done and always exactly as
>> we do here... or else!
>
> Sure. And then you meet the real world.

So supposedly computer people who cannot use email
properly and do not quote and insist on age-long
meetings in person (which are negotiated in five, six,
or seven mails), the meeting itself boils down to what
could have been communicated in a mail in five seconds
- is that any more "real" than what we are doing right
now?

Just because it is stupid doesn't make it any more
real. On the contrary, in my opinion - people who
cannot use mail or only use it as overhead to setup
pointless age-long meetings - that is *less* real,
because that upholds the illusion (to some people) that
something productive is going on.

I've seen this a hundred times: especially to people in
positions of authority or supposedly computer people it
is embarrassing beyond belief.

No, with computers, I'm proud of my elitism, and I
expect the same from all craftsmen, be it computers or
carpentry or even poetry (even though I can't identify
with that).

--

@ 2014-10-02 14:27           ` Adam Sjøgren
       [not found]           ` <mailman.10278.1412260103.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2014-10-02 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> asjo@koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) writes:

>> Email addresses, at the very least, tend to be
>> different.

> Like in - you use several addresses to send mails from?

Yes. I would _never_ use my work email address for private emails, and I
would _never_ use my private email address for work email.

>> Quotation style

> Quoting should always be done and always exactly as we
> do here... or else!

Sure. And then you meet the real world.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Industrispionasj"                                           Adam Sjøgren
 "Appelsinfromasj"                                       asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Posting styles, identities... and my stupdity
       [not found]       ` <mailman.10135.1412142496.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2014-10-02  0:17         ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]           ` <mailman.10278.1412260103.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-10-02  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> I don't think it is unusual to have different
> "profiles" depending on whether you are writing in
> private or as an employee.

Perhaps it is easier to understand if you explain what
"profile" is.

If it is signature, I can see the fun in having for
example several homepages covering various interests of
yours. So when you write on rec.sport.boxing, you have
a link in the signature to your boxing page, when you
write on gnu.emacs.gnus, ..., etc.

That's more like a fun thing but yes, fun is important.

> Email addresses, at the very least, tend to be
> different.

Like in - you use several addresses to send mails from?

> Quotation style

Quoting should always be done and always exactly as we
do here... or else!

> Organization/OpenPGP headers could also differ

OK, I never used those headers but in the example I
provide there is a change of headers when it is news
vs. when it is mail.

This is to my mind not exactly having different
profiles, it is more like doing different things, but
making them automagically take place DWIM-style so that
basically it'll look the same to you.

So my profiling is actually to make it more uniform.

--

       [not found]   ` <mailman.10136.1412146351.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2014-10-02  0:06     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-10-02  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Igor Sosa Mayor <joseleopoldo1792@gmail.com> writes:

> And yes: there are some cases in which I want to
> change the identity on the fly. For instance (maybe a
> not completely real example...): I'm answering to
> your post in gnus with F and using this identity
> (email address, signature, etc.). But imagine I want
> to forward your message with C-c C-f to my
> girlfriend. Then I get I buffer in which I have also
> this identity that I only use for mailing lists but
> not for private emails. Or if I you'd like to forward
> it to a colleague at work, then I have a 3rd
> identity...

Yeah? Why don't use the same identity/profile (?) for
all those cases?

--

@ 2014-10-01 20:48     ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2014-10-01 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Wed, Oct 01 2014, Igor Sosa Mayor wrote:

> And yes: there are some cases in which I want to change the identity on
> the fly.

Perhaps the following code snippets could help (it's about using "roles"
and cycling signatures):

(defvar pm/role-history nil
  "History list for roles.")

(defvar pm/role         "private")
(make-variable-buffer-local 'pm/role)

(defvar pm/sig-level    0)
(make-variable-buffer-local 'pm/sig-level)

(defun pm/addr->role (address)
  (cl-loop for item in pm/roles
           when (string-equal (plist-get item :address) address)
           return (plist-get item :id)))

(defun pm/role->addr (role)
  (cl-loop for item in pm/roles
           when (string-equal (plist-get item :id) role)
           return (plist-get item :address)))

(defun pm/update-role ()
  "Check current buffer and update pm/role accordingly."
  (let* ((address (mail-strip-quoted-names
                   (message-fetch-field "From")))
         (role (pm/addr->role address)))
    (when role (setq pm/role role))))

(defun pm/phone ()
  (cl-case (intern pm/language)
    ('fr "Tél.: 01 23 45 67 89")
    (t "Tel.: +33/0 123 456 789")))

(defun pm/address (prefix)
  (let ((address
         (cl-case (intern pm/role)
           ('private '("My Street" "12345 My Town"))
           ('company '("My Company" "My Street" "12345 My Town"))
           ('otherrole '("ABC" "My Street" "12345 My Town"))
           ('yetanotherrole '("XYZ" "My Street" "12345 My Town")))))
    (setq address (append address
                          (cl-case (intern pm/language)
                            ('en '("France"))
                            ('de '("Frankreich")))))
    (cl-loop for l in address concat prefix concat l concat "\n")))

(defun pm/make-signature ()
  "Check role, lang and level."
  (cl-case pm/sig-level
    (0 nil)
    (1 "           Peter")
    (2 "           Peter Münster")
    (3 (concat "           Peter Münster\n           " (pm/phone)))
    (4 (concat "           Peter Münster\n"
               (pm/address "           ")
               "           " (pm/phone)))
    (t
     (setq pm/sig-level 0)
     (pm/make-signature))))

(defun pm/cycle-sigs ()
  (interactive)
  (save-excursion
    (when (message-goto-signature)
      (forward-line -1)
      (delete-region (1- (point)) (point-max)))
    (incf pm/sig-level)
    (message-insert-signature)))

(defun pm/ask-role ()
  (let ((new-role
         (completing-read
          (format "Role [%s]: " pm/role)
          (mapcar (lambda (x) (plist-get x :id)) pm/roles)
          nil t nil 'pm/role-history pm/role)))
    (when (not (string-equal pm/role new-role))
      (setq pm/role new-role)
      (message-replace-header
       "From"
       (message-make-from nil (pm/role->addr pm/role))))))

(defun pm/message-setup ()
  (cond (gnus-article-reply
         (pm/update-role)
         (pm/update-lang)
         (incf pm/sig-level)
         (save-excursion
           (message-insert-signature)))
        ((save-excursion (message-goto-signature))
         (pm/update-role)
         (pm/update-lang))
        (t
         (pm/ask-role)
         (let ((message-signature-insert-empty-line t))
           (incf pm/sig-level)
           (save-excursion
             (message-insert-signature))))))

HTH,
--
           Peter

* Re: Posting styles, identities... and my stupdity
       [not found]   ` <mailman.10123.1412120483.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2014-10-01  6:53   ` Igor Sosa Mayor
       [not found]   ` <mailman.10136.1412146351.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Igor Sosa Mayor @ 2014-10-01  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> So I use it for technical reasons - one branch for
> mail, one for news. But I suppose you can put stuff
> there and introduce new predicates to allow you to
> change "identity" on the fly, though I'm not asking why
> you want this. Or did I...

thanks for your answer.

@ 2014-10-01  5:47       ` Adam Sjøgren
       [not found]       ` <mailman.10135.1412142496.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2014-10-01  5:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> I don't see why anyone would want radically different styles and even
> different identities...

I don't think it is unusual to have different "profiles" depending on
whether you are writing in private or as an employee.

Email addresses, at the very least, tend to be different. Quotation
style, .signature, Organization/OpenPGP headers could also differ.

Of course you can choose when you start the email, and you'll never make
a mistake...

  :-),

   Adam

--
  Woodhead's Law: "The further you are from your              Adam Sjøgren
  server, the more likely it is to crash."               asjo@koldfront.dk

@ 2014-09-30 23:51     ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]       ` <mailman.10135.1412142496.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-09-30 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:

> No I don't think there are any built-in way of
> changing profile mid-mail. That being said, it's
> pretty easy to decide at the beginning of the writing
> which style to use.

Yes, my example is more about not having to think about
that at all. It'll do small adjustments and not tell
you about it so you can just say "new message" and
start typing. I don't see why anyone would want
radically different styles and even different
identities...

--
underground experts united

* Re: Posting styles, identities... and my stupdity
@ 2014-09-30 23:40   ` Rasmus
       [not found]   ` <mailman.10123.1412120483.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Rasmus @ 2014-09-30 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: embe8573, info-gnus-english

> Igor Sosa Mayor <joseleopoldo1792@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I need (as everyone) different identities for job,
>> private email, etc.
>
> I don't think everyone needs that :)
>
>> As far as I see there are in gnus at least two
>> possibilities: 1. gnus-alias 2. posting styles.
>
> I never used gnus-alias but posting-styles I have used
> like this:
>
> (setq gnus-posting-styles
>       (let ((sig "underground experts united"))
>         `(("nnml:.*"
>            (Newsgroups "")
>            (signature ,sig) )
>           (message-this-is-news
>            (To "")
>            (Mail-Copies-To "never")
>            (signature ,sig) ))))
>
> So I use it for technical reasons - one branch for
> mail, one for news. But I suppose you can put stuff
> there and introduce new predicates to allow you to
> change "identity" on the fly, though I'm not asking why
> you want this. Or did I...

No I don't think there are any built-in way of changing profile
mid-mail.  That being said, it's pretty easy to decide at the
beginning of the writing which style to use.

It should be possible to reapply the function, that prepares the mail
buffer conditional on a style, initially mid-mail, but I haven't
looked into the details.

—Rasmus
--
And I faced endless streams of vendor-approved Ikea furniture. . .

* Re: Posting styles, identities... and my stupdity
       [not found] <mailman.10045.1412071233.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2014-09-30 21:23 ` Emanuel Berg
                     ` (3 more replies)
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-09-30 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)