* save-excursion not working - despite NO-ERROR in search-forward-regexp
@ 2012-10-24  3:49 gnuist007
From: gnuist007 @ 2012-10-24  3:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to search some regular expressions in a file and then to
do some manipulations represented for now by a message only. I want to
go till the eob and then dont want to hit error, so I have a t for NO-
ERROR. However, I also want the cursor ie point to return where I
started from, ie did C-x C-e, but I see that the cursor gets stuck
somewhere else, a little above the eob, even though its wrapped in
save-excursion. This is driving me crazy so please help me.

(save-excursion
  (while
      (search-forward-regexp (regexp-quote "does nott existt inn this
file") (end-of-buffer) t)
  (message "first")
))

If you have a better suggestion, I shall be glad to have it, but I
also want someone to show a fix to the one I have posted.

gnuist

* Re: save-excursion not working - despite NO-ERROR in search-forward-regexp
@ 2012-10-24  8:24 ` Kevin Brubeck Unhammer
From: Kevin Brubeck Unhammer @ 2012-10-24  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

gnuist007@hotmail.com writes:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I am trying to search some regular expressions in a file and then to
> do some manipulations represented for now by a message only. I want to
> go till the eob and then dont want to hit error, so I have a t for NO-
> ERROR. However, I also want the cursor ie point to return where I
> started from, ie did C-x C-e, but I see that the cursor gets stuck
> somewhere else, a little above the eob, even though its wrapped in
> save-excursion. This is driving me crazy so please help me.
>
> (save-excursion
>   (while
>       (search-forward-regexp (regexp-quote "does nott existt inn this
> file") (end-of-buffer) t)

1. When I try this code, point does not move (save-excursion seems to
work for me, I'm running emacs 24.2.1).

2. `end-of-buffer' moves point to end of buffer, I think you want
`point-max'.

--
Kevin Brubeck Unhammer

GPG: 0x766AC60C