* Re: How to pull a gui gnus from linux to windows desktop
       [not found] <mailman.6.1291177080.29914.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2010-12-01 10:19 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-12-01 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Can anyone tell me, at least a general outline of what I'd need to do
> to be able to connect to a gnus instance running on a linux server in
> console mode, from a windows machine, and see gnus in a gue version of
> emacs?
>
> I know how connect to an emacs daemon and there for a gnus session if
> its running by ssh into the linux box, using cygwin or just putty.
>
> I'd like to figure out how to get the windows end to appear in gui
> emacs.
>
> Anyone doing this or something similar?

I've not done this recently but you should be able to accomplish this if
you run an X Window System server (software) on your Windows machine.
Cygwin used to have such a server available.  SSH supports X (using the
"-X" flag on Linux; I don't know about Windows).

As I said, I've not done this recently as it's been years since I have
had to use Windows.

HTH,
eric

--
Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D)

* Re: How to pull a gui gnus from linux to windows desktop
@ 2010-12-04  0:41           ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2010-12-04  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> writes:

> You could try the following:
>
> 1. Check the Windows firewall is allowing connections on TCP port 6000.
> 2. Check Xming is listening on the network, not just loopback.
> 3. Run 'xhost +${ip_of_linux}' on the Win32 machine.

I guess it was just my bumbling or maybe because I got hold of an
older version of Xming... but once I went thru the Donation procedure
and got a uid and passwd for the server with the most recent verions,
and paid more attention to configuring the launcher.... also noticed I
could start the remote emacs right from xming launcher.

That way it worked first try.

Thanks for all the help.

* Re: How to pull a gui gnus from linux to windows desktop
@ 2010-12-03  5:49         ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2010-12-03  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

>>>    ( [2]  Either forward it through SSH, or just point it an
>>>           the Win32 machine.
>>>
>>> Errr . .  you don't mean just ssh -X do you?  And how would one set
>>> point it at the win machine?  By IP or UNC or what?
>>
>> Yup.  The DISPLAY variable is a standard X feature, with the syntax:
>>
>>     ${host}:${display}
>>
>> Eg:  export DISPLAY=win64.example.com:0
>>      export DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0
>>
>> Your display number should be zero (the first X display), and it
>> will make a TCP connection to port 6000 + <display number> on the
>> target machine to display things.
>
> Sorry to keep hacking away about this but I'm not getting the expected
> results.

OK.  To make sure I am actually helping, you want a GUI Emacs window to
display on the Win32 system, but Emacs to be running on Linux, right?

> Does X11 have to be running on remote (linux) box?

No.  X11 has a client/server model: the "display server" is the bit that draws
the Windows on the screen, and Emacs is a client of that.

When you set DISPLAY to ${hostname}:${display} you tell the client (Emacs) to
open a TCP connection to that system and draw all the GUI stuff there.

So, only client libraries on the Linux side. :)

> When I attempt the connection in that situation I get an error on the
> linux remote if I try to connect to a running emacs daemon.
>
> Using putting to ssh to remote then:
>
> emacsclient  -s nognus -c (where `nognus' is the daemons name)
>
>   Waiting for Emacs...
>   *ERROR*: Display 192.168.0.3:0 can't be opened
>
> The ip number there is the windows machines' static IP on home lan.  As you
> see the display is set to it.

*nod*  My guess is that you have a firewall problem or something like that, or
possibly that your Xming server doesn't allow access from the Linux machine.

You could try the following:

1. Check the Windows firewall is allowing connections on TCP port 6000.
2. Check Xming is listening on the network, not just loopback.
3. Run 'xhost +${ip_of_linux}' on the Win32 machine.

Alternately, these cover using SSH X forwarding on Win32:

http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~helpdesk/documentation/Putty.html
http://qiu.bioweb.hunter.cuny.edu/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=110

> If I start emacs separate from the daemon it just starts in -nw mode in the
> teminal on the remote.  Maybe there is no way to do this without X running
> on remote?

Emacs on the Linux system needs to be compiled with X support, and needs to be
willing to open a new X display, but that *should* be possible if you are
getting as far as that error.

        Daniel
--
✣ Daniel Pittman            ✉ daniel@rimspace.net            ☎ +61 401 155 707

* Re: How to pull a gui gnus from linux to windows desktop
@ 2010-12-02 14:18       ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2010-12-02 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> writes:

>>> 2. Set your DISPLAY appropriately on the Linux server.[2]
>>
>>    ( [2]  Either forward it through SSH, or just point it an
>>           the Win32 machine.
>>
>> Errr . .  you don't mean just ssh -X do you?  And how would one set
>> point it at the win machine?  By IP or UNC or what?
>
> Yup.  The DISPLAY variable is a standard X feature, with the syntax:
>
>     ${host}:${display}
>
> Eg:  export DISPLAY=win64.example.com:0
>      export DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0
>
> Your display number should be zero (the first X display), and it
> will make a TCP connection to port 6000 + <display number> on the
> target machine to display things.

Sorry to keep hacking away about this but I'm not getting the expected
results.

Does X11 have to be running on remote (linux) box?

I mean if I'm on a windows machine with Xming running, in order to
pull a gui gnus session to the windows machine does X have to be
running on the linux machine?

I ask because my original question was about how to do this when the
remote linux machine is in console mode.

@ 2010-12-02  0:41     ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2010-12-02  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> writes:
>
>> 1. Install Xming on the Win32 machine.[1]
>> 2. Set your DISPLAY appropriately on the Linux server.[2]
>> 3. Huge Profit!
>
> Haa nice.  Sorry to be a dunce and probably at risk of taxing your
> patience..

No problem. :)

>> 1. Install Xming on the Win32 machine.
>   Will it matter if it is 64 bit?

It shouldn't, because Windows has a very good 32/64 bit compatibility story,
but I have never tried it myself.  I just can't imagine why it would...

@ 2010-12-01 20:35   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2010-12-01 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> writes:

> 1. Install Xming on the Win32 machine.[1]
> 2. Set your DISPLAY appropriately on the Linux server.[2]
> 3. Huge Profit!

Haa nice.

Sorry to be a dunce and probably at risk of taxing your patience..

> 1. Install Xming on the Win32 machine.
  Will it matter if it is 64 bit?

> 2. Set your DISPLAY appropriately on the Linux server.[2]

   ( [2]  Either forward it through SSH, or just point it an
          the Win32 machine.

Errr . .  you don't mean just ssh -X do you?  And how would one set point
it at the win machine?  By IP or UNC or what?

> 3. Huge Profit!

  I think I got that part...

* Re: How to pull a gui gnus from linux to windows desktop
@ 2010-12-01 10:05 ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2010-12-01 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Can anyone tell me, at least a general outline of what I'd need to do to be
> able to connect to a gnus instance running on a linux server in console
> mode, from a windows machine, and see gnus in a gue version of emacs?

1. Install Xming on the Win32 machine.[1]
2. Set your DISPLAY appropriately on the Linux server.[2]
3. Huge Profit!

Regards,
        Daniel

Footnotes: