* how to let fetchmail's output shown in minibar?
@ 2008-03-05  2:43 anhnmncb
From: anhnmncb @ 2008-03-05  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi, list,
I have these lines in .gnus
(setq mail-sources
      '((file :path "/var/mail/anhnmncb"
	      :prescript "fetchmail")))
When gnus rechieves mail, the fetchmail's output doesn't show anywhere,
I can't know what status it's in, how to configure to let fetchmail's
output echo into minibuffer?
--
Regards,

  anhnmncb
 gpg key: 44A31344

* Re: how to let fetchmail's output shown in minibar?
@ 2008-03-05 10:16 ` Bastien
       [not found]   ` <86r6epe9ot.fsf@freebsd.hasee.cpu>
From: Bastien @ 2008-03-05 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: anhnmncb; +Cc: info-gnus-english

anhnmncb <anhnmncb@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi, list,
> I have these lines in .gnus
> (setq mail-sources
>       '((file :path "/var/mail/anhnmncb"
> 	      :prescript "fetchmail")))
> When gnus rechieves mail, the fetchmail's output doesn't show anywhere,
> I can't know what status it's in, how to configure to let fetchmail's
> output echo into minibuffer?

AFAIK you cannot.

(But why do you want to run fetchmail from here?)

--
Bastien

@ 2008-03-05 10:55     ` Bastien
       [not found]     ` <mailman.8333.1204714560.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Bastien @ 2008-03-05 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: anhnmncb; +Cc: info-gnus-english

(Redirecting to the list, if you don't mind.)

anhnmncb <anhnmncb@gmail.com> writes:

> Mails isn't like rss or news, I want to fetch them whenever I want to
> read them.

But *why*?

Fetching them in the background with fetchmail doesn't force you to read
them.  And if you don't use any fancy notification mechanism, fetching
them in the background will just make it faster for Gnus to fetch them
in /var/mai/anhmncb

While I perfectly understand one wants not to be nagged by incoming
emails all the time, I really think fetching them over the network when
you want to read them is *not* the solution.

--
Bastien

* Re: how to let fetchmail's output shown in minibar?
       [not found]     ` <mailman.8333.1204714560.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2008-03-05 11:18       ` anhnmncb
                           ` (3 more replies)
From: anhnmncb @ 2008-03-05 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> Fetching them in the background with fetchmail doesn't force you to read
> them.  And if you don't use any fancy notification mechanism, fetching
> them in the background will just make it faster for Gnus to fetch them
> in /var/mai/anhmncb

How to fetch them in the background? Do you mean I throw
fetchmail into crontab to let it run every some time?

--

@ 2008-03-05 11:29       ` anhnmncb
From: anhnmncb @ 2008-03-05 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> anhnmncb <anhnmncb@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Mails isn't like rss or news, I want to fetch them whenever I want to
>> read them.
>
> But *why*?

If I don't fetch rss for a long time, say 7 days, It's likely I will
miss many news. But for mail, I could get them without losing any of
them.

--
Regards,

  anhnmncb
 gpg key: 44A31344

* Re: how to let fetchmail's output shown in minibar?
@ 2008-03-05 11:30         ` Damien Wyart
       [not found]           ` <mailman.8338.1204721024.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
                           ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Damien Wyart @ 2008-03-05 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

* anhnmncb <anhnmncb@gmail.com> in gnu.emacs.gnus:
> How to fetch them in the background? Do you mean I throw fetchmail
> into crontab to let it run every some time?

No, fetchmail is *designed* to be run in the background ; you just have
to configure the default interval it will use between fetching
operations.

Read a bit throught fetchmail docs, this is really very basic and well
documented on many Internet sites.

--
DW

* Re: how to let fetchmail's output shown in minibar?
@ 2008-03-05 11:46         ` Bastien
       [not found]         ` <mailman.8336.1204717586.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Bastien @ 2008-03-05 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: anhnmncb; +Cc: info-gnus-english

anhnmncb <anhnmncb@gmail.com> writes:

> Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:
>
>> Fetching them in the background with fetchmail doesn't force you to read
>> them.  And if you don't use any fancy notification mechanism, fetching
>> them in the background will just make it faster for Gnus to fetch them
>> in /var/mai/anhmncb
>>
> How to fetch them in the background?

Add this into your ~/.fetchmailrc :

set daemon 1000

... and yes, reading the fetchmail documentation will also help!

--
Bastien

* Re: how to let fetchmail's output shown in minibar?
@ 2008-03-05 11:47         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2008-03-05 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: anhnmncb; +Cc: info-gnus-english

anhnmncb <anhnmncb@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Mails isn't like rss or news, I want to fetch them whenever I want to
>>> read them.
>>
>> But *why*?
>>
> If I don't fetch rss for a long time, say 7 days, It's likely I will
> miss many news. But for mail, I could get them without losing any of
> them.

Sorry I don't understand.

You won't miss any any by fetching them behind the back of Gnus.  It
will just make it faster for Gnus to read them from /var/mail/you.

--
Bastien

@ 2008-03-05 12:24           ` anhnmncb
From: anhnmncb @ 2008-03-05 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> Add this into your ~/.fetchmailrc :
>
> set daemon 1000
>
> ... and yes, reading the fetchmail documentation will also help!

Thank you, I've got what you mean.

--

@ 2008-03-05 12:43           ` William Xu
       [not found]           ` <mailman.8338.1204721024.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: William Xu @ 2008-03-05 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Damien Wyart <damien.wyart@free.fr> writes:

>> How to fetch them in the background? Do you mean I throw fetchmail
>> into crontab to let it run every some time?
>
> No, fetchmail is *designed* to be run in the background ; you just have
> to configure the default interval it will use between fetching
> operations.

Are there many differences between:

1. fetchmail -d $interval
2. a cron job running `fetchmail' every $interval

?

--
William

http://williamxu.net9.org

@ 2008-03-05 13:12             ` Slackrat
From: Slackrat @ 2008-03-05 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

William Xu a écrit profondement:

| Are there many differences between:

1. fetchmail -d $interval // is a daemon
2. a cron job running `fetchmail' every $interval // loads a one time
   fetchmail - but loads it every time the cronjob kicks in

--
SlackRat
-

* Re: how to let fetchmail's output shown in minibar?
@ 2008-03-05 13:16             ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2008-03-05 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Xu; +Cc: info-gnus-english

William Xu <william.xwl@gmail.com> writes:

> Are there many differences between:
>
> 1. fetchmail -d $interval
> 2. a cron job running `fetchmail' every $interval

Not in the result.  But surely in the process.  My guess is that running
fetchmail as a daemon is faster and less resource-consuming.

--
Bastien

@ 2008-03-05 13:17             ` Damien Wyart
       [not found]               ` <mailman.8353.1204732956.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Damien Wyart @ 2008-03-05 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

* William Xu <william.xwl@gmail.com> in gnu.emacs.gnus:
> Are there many differences between:

> 1. fetchmail -d $interval
> 2. a cron job running `fetchmail' every $interval

Not really (except you will have to start and stop fetchmail each time,
but the costs are negligible of course) ; I just feel 2 is less logical
and doesn't follow totally the Unix philosophy...

This might be a personal opinion, but if a tool as a feature which
works, why use another tool to do the same thing? I think many Unix
authors would agree with this principe.

Btw, my original answer did not mean you MUST NOT do 2, I mainly wanted
to point out that 1 exists, which obvisouly the OP did not know.

--
DW

* Re: how to let fetchmail's output shown in minibar?
@ 2008-03-05 13:37               ` William Xu
From: William Xu @ 2008-03-05 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> William Xu <william.xwl@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Are there many differences between:
>>
>> 1. fetchmail -d $interval
>> 2. a cron job running `fetchmail' every $interval
>
> Not in the result.  But surely in the process.  My guess is that running
> fetchmail as a daemon is faster and less resource-consuming.

"faster", maybe.

"resource-consuming", looks like just the opposite.  The daemon version
will stay in the memory, eating cpu all through its life; the non-daemon
just wakes up at the right moment, finish the job, quit.

--
William

http://williamxu.net9.org

* Re: how to let fetchmail's output shown in minibar?
                           ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found]         ` <mailman.8336.1204717586.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2008-03-05 15:20         ` Zhenqing Li
From: Zhenqing Li @ 2008-03-05 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

anhnmncb <anhnmncb@gmail.com> writes:

> Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:
>
>> Fetching them in the background with fetchmail doesn't force you to read
>> them.  And if you don't use any fancy notification mechanism, fetching
>> them in the background will just make it faster for Gnus to fetch them
>> in /var/mai/anhmncb
>>
> How to fetch them in the background? Do you mean I throw
> fetchmail into crontab to let it run every some time?
>
> --
> Regards,
>
>   anhnmncb
>  gpg key: 44A31344

You can modify your ~/.fetchmailrc and include these into the beginning:

set daemon 60

And start the fetchmail script in the initial boot time (put it into /etc/init.d )

--
Zhenqing Li
Materials Science & Engineering (Emphasis on Polymer)

* Re: how to let fetchmail's output shown in minibar?
@ 2008-03-05 16:02               ` William Xu
       [not found]               ` <mailman.8353.1204732956.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: William Xu @ 2008-03-05 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Damien Wyart <damien.wyart@free.fr> writes:

> * William Xu <william.xwl@gmail.com> in gnu.emacs.gnus:
>> Are there many differences between:
>
>> 1. fetchmail -d $interval
>> 2. a cron job running `fetchmail' every $interval
>
> Not really (except you will have to start and stop fetchmail each time,
> but the costs are negligible of course) ; I just feel 2 is less logical
> and doesn't follow totally the Unix philosophy...
>
> This might be a personal opinion, but if a tool as a feature which
> works, why use another tool to do the same thing? I think many Unix
> authors would agree with this principe.

That i raise this question is because recently I'm playing with OS X's
launchd daemon controller, which has a nice launch-on-demand feature.
I'm not quite sure about which is better.  OS X tends to like
launch-on-demand.

> Btw, my original answer did not mean you MUST NOT do 2, I mainly wanted
> to point out that 1 exists, which obvisouly the OP did not know.

Okay, I see.  It was the word "*designed*" that caught my eyes...

--
William

http://williamxu.net9.org

* Re: how to let fetchmail's output shown in minibar?
@ 2008-03-05 16:07                 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2008-03-05 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Xu; +Cc: info-gnus-english

William Xu <william.xwl@gmail.com> writes:

>> This might be a personal opinion, but if a tool as a feature which
>> works, why use another tool to do the same thing? I think many Unix
>> authors would agree with this principe.
>
> That i raise this question is because recently I'm playing with OS X's
> launchd daemon controller, which has a nice launch-on-demand feature.
> I'm not quite sure about which is better.  OS X tends to like
> launch-on-demand.

Argh!... those Mac users...

:)

--
Bastien

@ 2008-03-05 21:01                 ` Aaron Hsu
From: Aaron Hsu @ 2008-03-05 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

William Xu <william.xwl@gmail.com> writes:

> That i raise this question is because recently I'm playing with OS X's
> launchd daemon controller, which has a nice launch-on-demand feature.
> I'm not quite sure about which is better.  OS X tends to like
> launch-on-demand.

Mac OS X's use of Launch-On-Demand is fine, because the idea that they
are trying to get across is only loading things when they have to be
loaded. This would work with fetchmail too, if you so wanted. Under the
"Mac" philosophy here, having daemons running in the background is find
but they should be spawned when incoming connection demand their need.

However, there are plenty of times when you might not want to use launch
on demand, so take your pick. It's your machine, do as you wish with
it. For fetchmail, I think you can configure either a launch daemon to
run every so often, or you can have it be persisten and let fetchmail
handle that, either way is fine.
--
Aaron Hsu <arcfide@sacrideo.us> | Jabber: arcfide@jabber.org
``Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to

* Re: how to let fetchmail's output shown in minibar?
@ 2008-03-05 23:37           ` anhnmncb
From: anhnmncb @ 2008-03-05 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Zhenqing Li <fake-trap-spam@truelie.com> writes:

> You can modify your ~/.fetchmailrc and include these into the beginning:
>
> set daemon 60
>
> And start the fetchmail script in the initial boot time (put it into /etc/init.d )

Although I prefer to cron, but you teached me how to let a app run at
the boot time.
Thank you! ;p

--
Regards,