* Unticking
@ 2007-10-31 12:23 Sebastian Tennant
From: Sebastian Tennant @ 2007-10-31 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi list,

AFAIK the only way to untick an article in the Summary buffer is via
'clear-mark-*', which leaves an article marked 'unread' as well as no
longer 'ticked', so I've cobbled together this function to untick an
article in the Summary buffer but leave the article marked 'read':

 (defun gnus-summary-untick-forward ()
   (interactive)
   (let ((gnus-summary-goto-unread 'never))
     (gnus-summary-clear-mark-forward 1)
     (gnus-summary-prev-article)
     ;;this is affected by the value of gnus-summary-goto-unread
     (gnus-summary-mark-as-read-forward 1)))

It's a horrible kludge but it basically works, except when point is on
the last message in the Summary buffer.

I'm slightly surprised there's no such function already, but in the
meantime, how can I check to see if point is on the last message?

Sebastian

* Re: Unticking
@ 2007-10-31 21:23   ` Sebastian Tennant
From: Sebastian Tennant @ 2007-10-31 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Quoth David Z Maze <dmaze@mit.edu>:
> Sebastian Tennant <sebyte@smolny.plus.com> writes:
>
>> AFAIK the only way to untick an article in the Summary buffer is via
>> 'clear-mark-*', which leaves an article marked 'unread' as well as no
>> longer 'ticked', so I've cobbled together this function to untick an
>> article in the Summary buffer but leave the article marked 'read':
>
> *tries playing around with it a little*
>
> Using default keybindings, '!' will tick an article, 'd' will mark an
> article as read (and unticked), and 'M SPC' will mark an article as
> unread (and unticked).  'd' is bound to
> `gnus-summary-mark-as-read-forward', and seems to do what you want.

You're right!  what a thinko!  It never occurred to me that 'read' and
'ticked' were mutually exclusive states... I always thought of it in
terms of ticking a read article, and then removing the tick leaving only
its readness...

Thanks for straightening me out!

Sebastian

* Re: Unticking
       [not found] <mailman.2793.1193833450.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2007-10-31 14:11 ` David Z Maze
From: David Z Maze @ 2007-10-31 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Sebastian Tennant <sebyte@smolny.plus.com> writes:

> AFAIK the only way to untick an article in the Summary buffer is via
> 'clear-mark-*', which leaves an article marked 'unread' as well as no
> longer 'ticked', so I've cobbled together this function to untick an
> article in the Summary buffer but leave the article marked 'read':

*tries playing around with it a little*

Using default keybindings, '!' will tick an article, 'd' will mark an
article as read (and unticked), and 'M SPC' will mark an article as
unread (and unticked).  'd' is bound to
`gnus-summary-mark-as-read-forward', and seems to do what you want.

I'm using slightly outdated CVS Gnus, but it's worked this way as long
as I can remember.

  --dzm