* Re: questions re sendmail vs smtpmail.el
       [not found]     ` <d6qewgx8.fsf@ID-23066.news.dfncis.de>
@ 2002-10-14  2:06       ` Ian Zimmerman
From: Ian Zimmerman @ 2002-10-14  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael> Now that I've got smtpmail working I might go back and use
Michael> sendmail instead ;-) The question is, does sendmail have any
Michael> advantage versus smtpmail in terms of speed?

Clemens> you mean a complete installation of sendmail(8) isn't needed
Clemens> when using smtpmail.el?  that would be interesting for me!

Well, if you have a "smarthost" (a machine where sendmail directs all
non-local outgoing mail, as is typical for personal workstations), you
can just as well configure smtpmail to connect directly to the
smarthost.

- But: be aware that many Unix system programs use sendmail behind
your back (cron, sudo, ...) and it will be _lots_ of work to make them
do something else.

--
Ian Zimmerman, Oakland, California, U.S.A. I did not vote for Emperor Bush.
GPG: 433BA087  9C0F 194F 203A 63F7 B1B8  6E5A 8CA3 27DB 433B A087

@ 2002-10-16  9:45       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-10-16  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Clemens Fischer <ino@despammed.com> writes:

> you mean a complete installation of sendmail(8) isn't needed when using
> smtpmail.el?  that would be interesting for me!

You do not need sendmail at all on your local host.  Instead,
smtpmail.el directly talks to a remote SMTP server.  Usually, your
ISP provides such a server, so you don't have to worry about it.

kai

* Re: questions re sendmail vs smtpmail.el
       [not found]   ` <39n0pjzd5m.fsf@qiuranke.phony.washington.edu>
@ 2002-10-13  9:54     ` Wu XiaoGuang
       [not found]     ` <d6qewgx8.fsf@ID-23066.news.dfncis.de>
From: Wu XiaoGuang @ 2002-10-13  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 12 Oct 2002 12:10:29 -0700, Michael Na Li wrote:

> On 12 Oct 2002, Wu XiaoGuang said:
>>
>> On Sat, 12 Oct 2002 03:35:22 -0700, Michael Na Li wrote:
>>
>> > I use smtp to send emails so I disabled the sendmail service on
>> my > laptop running RedHat 7.3 and every things worked as expected.
>> Now > after I've upgraded from 7.3 to 8.0.  I found my outgoing
>> emails > (sent from Gnus) simply disappeared!  I can still use
>> Mozilla Mail > to send emails however because I've configured it to
>> use smtp.
>>
>> Are you using the newer version of smtpmail.el from:
>> http://www.josefsson.org/emacs-rfc2554.html
>>

> I justed downloaded the cvs version of smtpmail.el (and sendmail.el
> which defines a new function mail-envelop-from) and sending emails
> via smtp seems to be working.

> I have smtpmail-debug-info set to t before but I didn't any tracing
> message before I upgrade so smtp wasn't used at all for some reason.

> By the way smtpmail.el says I need set smtpmail-default-smtp-server
> but I found that I had to set smtpmail-smtp-server instead.

Yes, when I use Emacs 21.1 in MDL 8.2, there is no need to set the
smtpmail-smtp-server, but in woody (Emacs 21.2), I have to set the
additional variable.
I'm also curious.

http://faith.yahoo.com