* Re: gnus nnmaildir with xemacs howto?
       [not found] ` <m3lmbmuwgi.fsf@multivac.cwru.edu>
@ 2002-04-17 16:38   ` A. L. Meyers
From: A. L. Meyers @ 2002-04-17 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

> "A. L. Meyers" <nospam.look@replyto.because.this.is.invalid> wrote:
> > Gnus pulls down the news and says it is loading the nnmaildir server
> > but does not move the mail from ~/Maildir/ to ~/g/Sort/ as last step
> > in nnmail-split-methods. Although get-new-mail is set to t,
> > apparently Gnus is not getting the mail.
>
> Let's see the nnmaildir select method and the values of mail-sources
> and nnmail-split-methods.

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
	'((nnmaildir "" (directory "~/g/nnmaildir")
	  (create-directory "~/Maildir/")
	  (directory-files nnheader-directory-files-safe)
	  (get-new-mail t))
	  ))

Gnus Secondary Select Methods: *
[INS] [DEL] Select Method:
            Method: [Value Menu] nnmaildir
            Address:
            [INS] [DEL] Variable: directory
                        Value: "~/g/nnmaildir"
            [INS] [DEL] Variable: create-directory
                        Value: "~/Maildir/"
            [INS] [DEL] Variable: directory-files
                        Value: nnheader-directory-files-safe
            [INS] [DEL] Variable: get-new-mail
                        Value: t
            [INS]
[INS]
   [State]: this option has been changed outside the customize buffer.

Mail Sources: *
[INS] [DEL] [Value Menu] Maildir (qmail, postfix...):

Nnmail Split Methods: * [Value Menu] Alist:
[INS] [DEL] Name: alm
            Regexp: From:.*alm
[INS] [DEL] Name: alm
            Regexp: From:.*a.l.meyers
[INS] [DEL] Name: acqui
            Regexp: From:.*jobmail
[INS] [DEL] Name: linmaf
            Regexp: From:.*pkg-annc-admin
[INS] [DEL] Name: linux
            Regexp: Sender:.*gentoo-user-admin
[INS] [DEL] Name: linux
            Regexp: Sender:.*gentoo-newbies-admin
[INS] [DEL] Name: linux
            Regexp: Sender:.*gentoo-announce-admin
[INS] [DEL] Name: mailer
            Regexp: From:.*MAILER-DAEMON
[INS] [DEL] Name: Sort
            Regexp:

Lucien
--
If you receive this by error, please delete it and inform the sender.
PGP key fingerprint=F1C0 D9AE 1B18 1405 4DFA  B4CC 6DC7 FF78 C76E FB15

* Re: gnus nnmaildir with xemacs howto?
@ 2002-04-17 16:49     ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2002-04-17 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

"A. L. Meyers" <nospam.look@replyto.because.this.is.invalid> wrote:
> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
> 	'((nnmaildir "" (directory "~/g/nnmaildir")
> 	  (create-directory "~/Maildir/")

So ~/Maildir is itself a maildir, and also contains other maildirs?  I
don't think that will break anything, but it is unusual.

> Mail Sources: *
> [INS] [DEL] [Value Menu] Maildir (qmail, postfix...):
>
> Nnmail Split Methods: * [Value Menu] Alist:

Can we see the Lisp forms as reported by [C-h v], rather than the
customize interface?

paul

* Re: gnus nnmaildir with xemacs howto?
@ 2002-04-17 17:02       ` A. L. Meyers
       [not found]         ` <m3zo02qcur.fsf@multivac.cwru.edu>
From: A. L. Meyers @ 2002-04-17 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

> "A. L. Meyers" <nospam.look@replyto.because.this.is.invalid> wrote:
> > (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
> > 	'((nnmaildir "" (directory "~/g/nnmaildir")
> > 	  (create-directory "~/Maildir/")
>
> So ~/Maildir is itself a maildir, and also contains other maildirs?  I
> don't think that will break anything, but it is unusual.
>
> > Mail Sources: *
> > [INS] [DEL] [Value Menu] Maildir (qmail, postfix...):
> >
> > Nnmail Split Methods: * [Value Menu] Alist:
>
> Can we see the Lisp forms as reported by [C-h v], rather than the
> customize interface?

`mail-sources' is a variable declared in Lisp.
  -- loaded from "mail-source"

Value: ((maildir))

According to the docs the path above is default, so I have taken it out.

`nnmail-split-methods' is a variable declared in Lisp.
  -- loaded from "nnmail"

Value:
(("alm" "From:.*alm")
("alm" "From:.*a.l.meyers")
("bsd" "Delivered-To:.*@netbsd.org")
("linmaf" "From:.*pkg-annc-admin")
("linux" "Sender:.*gentoo-user-admin")
("mailer" "From:.*MAILER-DAEMON")
("Sort" ""))

Lucien
--
If you receive this by error, please delete it and inform the sender.
PGP key fingerprint=F1C0 D9AE 1B18 1405 4DFA  B4CC 6DC7 FF78 C76E FB15
To Big Brother Echelon from "spook":
counter-intelligence radar Iraq Arafat colonel genetic KGB BND bomb CIA

@ 2002-04-18 10:02           ` A. L. Meyers
From: A. L. Meyers @ 2002-04-18 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

> "A. L. Meyers" <nospam.look@replyto.because.this.is.invalid> wrote:
> > `mail-sources' is a variable declared in Lisp.
> >   -- loaded from "mail-source"
> >
> > Value: ((maildir))
> >
> > According to the docs the path above is default, so I have taken it out.
>
> Try specifying it explicitly, just in case.
>
> > `nnmail-split-methods' is a variable declared in Lisp.
> >   -- loaded from "nnmail"
> >
> > Value:
>
> This looks ok.  Try [M-x debug-on-entry RET nnmail-get-new-mail RET],
> and then [g] to scan for new mail.  If the debugger doesn't appear,
> then there's a problem before that point.  If it does, you can use [d]
> to step through the code and try to see why it's not doing anything,
> or [c] to let it run all the way through the form it's currently
> working on; repeating [c] will eventually get you out of the debugger.

More info:

repeating [d] or [c] tells me that the value of each nnmaildir
group is nil. It goes through all the groups. However, the groups exist,
can be entered from the Groups buffer and contain old messages. Use ^
RET to enter the Servers buffer shows that nnmaildir (2 of them) are
open, populated with groups and the groups subscribed.

Lucien
--
If you receive this by error, please delete it and inform the sender.
PGP key fingerprint=F1C0 D9AE 1B18 1405 4DFA  B4CC 6DC7 FF78 C76E FB15
To Big Brother Echelon from "spook":
Waco, Texas Albanian Rule Psix Saddam Hussein Bush Sharon assassination