* mailcrypt doesn't find signatures
@ 2002-04-06 23:55 Rémi Letot
       [not found] ` <m36633c1qw.fsf@barnowl.demon.co.uk>
From: Rémi Letot @ 2002-04-06 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Re: mailcrypt doesn't find signatures
@ 2002-04-07 10:50 ` Simon Josefsson
       [not found] ` <m36633c1qw.fsf@barnowl.demon.co.uk>
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-04-07 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

r_letot@yahoo.com (Rémi Letot) writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm using gnus 5.9 on emacs 21.1
> I installed mailcrypt 3.5.6 and gnupg 1.0.6
>
> I'm trying to verify signatures on messages. gnupg works well because
> everything is fine when I test it under mutt. Now using
> gnus+mailcrypt, it tells me 'found no signed message in this buffer'
> when I press the 'verify signature' menu item.
>
> Can someone help me set this up ?

Perhaps you can try Oort Gnus, it has PGP and S/MIME capabilities
built in.  I am not sure verifying with Mailcrypt works with Gnus 5.9,
has anyone tried this?

@ 2002-04-07 15:43   ` Rémi Letot
       [not found]   ` <87zo0fi5w9.fsf_-_@yahoo.com>
From: Rémi Letot @ 2002-04-07 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Graham Murray <newspost@gmurray.org.uk> writes:

> r_letot@yahoo.com (Rémi Letot) writes:
>
> > I'm trying to verify signatures on messages. gnupg works well because
> > everything is fine when I test it under mutt. Now using
> > gnus+mailcrypt, it tells me 'found no signed message in this buffer'
> > when I press the 'verify signature' menu item.
> >
> > Can someone help me set this up ?
>
> It should work. Your article shows as being signed, but verification
> failed because gnupg could not find your public key (it is set to ask
> the server when it finds an unknown key.)

Yeah, I could verify my own signature. My key has been exported to the
keyservers yesterday, so it might take some time to propagate.

Anyway I'm still unable to verify any signed message except my own.

--
Rémi

* Re: New info about unfound signatures (WAS Re: mailcrypt doesn't find signatures)
       [not found]     ` <iluofgtyl60.fsf@extundo.com>
@ 2002-04-08 21:30       ` Rémi Letot
       [not found]         ` <oul4riln6li.fsf@ID-97657.usr.dfncis.de>
From: Rémi Letot @ 2002-04-08 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

> r_letot@yahoo.com (Rémi Letot) writes:
>
> > Ok, I found something more : I can verify messages generated with gnus
> > ok. But I can't verify signatures on messages generated with mutt (and
> > possibly others, I tried mutt because that's what I used before
> > gnus). They use a different encoding for the signature, here are some
> > headers :

> > It seems gnus/mailcrypt doesn't recognize such things. Is there a way
> > around this using gnus ?
>
> Try Oort Gnus, it supports PGP/MIME.

Argh, I knew someone would suggest that.

Ok, I think it's time to take the plunge and try it. Is there
somewhere a description of how to install it on a fresh emacs 21.2
system ?

I'd like to install  it in a separate directory, so as to be able to
remove it easily in case something really badly breaks.

I already checked it out of cvs.

Thank you,
--

@ 2002-04-09  0:36           ` Rémi Letot
       [not found]             ` <87y9fwdirm.fsf@alum.wpi.edu>
From: Rémi Letot @ 2002-04-09  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

lawrence mitchell <wence@gmx.li> writes:

<snip>
Ok, I backed up my email folders, installed oort as noted, and it
works. Fine.

But it still doesn't verify my gpg signatures. I created a signed
message, manually tampered with it (now mutt tells me the signature is
wrong), but gnus doesn't choke on it. I try to verify it from the mime
menu, and no warning appears. grrrrr

--

       [not found]                   ` <87r8lofvsd.fsf@yahoo.com>
@ 2002-04-09 21:46                     ` Josh Huber
       [not found]                       ` <873cy4fpvf.fsf@yahoo.com>
From: Josh Huber @ 2002-04-09 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

r_letot@yahoo.com (Rémi Letot) writes:

> No, it seems fine in a terminal, even if I temporarily setup the
> locale to latin1, and even in emacs, using M-! to launch a shell
> command. See the output in a shell :

Ah, but try it with --charset utf-8:

$> gpg --charset utf-8 --list-keys letot
pub  1024D/6CB23E04 2002-04-05 Rémi Letot (Hobbes) <r_letot@yahoo.com>
sub  1024g/7ED73BBD 2002-04-05

Perhaps when gpg is called without a controlling tty, it outputs
utf-8?

doesn't that output look like what you're seeing?

> (don't know why it's listed 2 times, but that's not the point here)

gpg reads the default keyring by default now, perhaps you have it
listed in your .gnupg/options file as well?  (look for keyring lines)

--
Josh Huber

* Re: New info about unfound signatures (WAS Re: mailcrypt doesn't find signatures)
       [not found]                           ` <87y9fvi2gx.fsf@yahoo.com>
@ 2002-04-11  3:02                             ` Josh Huber
From: Josh Huber @ 2002-04-11  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

r_letot@yahoo.com (Rémi Letot) writes:

> My name appears fine in a terminal (even in mutt), but never in any
> gnus (or emacs) buffer, be it in X or terminal.

I'm not sure why it works in mutt...perhaps it's calling with the
charset option?  Or since mutt runs in a terminal, it auto-converts
the charset for you?  Perhaps this is why it doesn't auto-convert for
X applications, like Emacs and GPA.

> It seems the original name attributed to this key was encoded using a
> wrong charset. Is there a way to change that with gnupg ?

Well, I don't think it's wrong.  I bet the OpenPGP spec says you're
supposed to encode strings with UTF-8...

Hey, it's even the GnuPG FAQ:

http://www.gnupg.org/faq.html#q6.17

Of course, it doesn't say what a good fix for this is. (other than, of
course, using UTF-8 everywhere...heh)

ttyl,

--
Josh Huber