* reading email via imap, make one virtual group consisting of all UNREAD mails in the imap folders
@ 2020-01-23  8:52 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2020-01-23  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi

I am reading my emails, via the nnimap backend and sometimes I start
thunderbird first, which then first moves unread emails to certain folders
using filter rules.

Here comes the question: can I create a gnus virtual group which would
display only the unread emails, of the groups I am subscribed to in gnus?

Thanks

Uwe Brauer

* Re: reading email via imap, make one virtual group consisting of all UNREAD mails in the imap folders
@ 2020-01-23 16:34 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2020-01-23 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> Hi
>
> I am reading my emails, via the nnimap backend and sometimes I start
> thunderbird first, which then first moves unread emails to certain folders
> using filter rules.
>
> Here comes the question: can I create a gnus virtual group which would
> display only the unread emails, of the groups I am subscribed to in gnus?

You should be able to create a persistent nnir search group, where the
search terms are just "UNSEEN".

* Re: reading email via imap, make one virtual group consisting of all UNREAD mails in the imap folders
@ 2020-01-31  8:47   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2020-01-31  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

>>> "EA" == Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> writes:

> Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
>> Hi
>>
>> I am reading my emails, via the nnimap backend and sometimes I start
>> thunderbird first, which then first moves unread emails to certain folders
>> using filter rules.
>>
>> Here comes the question: can I create a gnus virtual group which would
>> display only the unread emails, of the groups I am subscribed to in gnus?

> You should be able to create a persistent nnir search group, where the
> search terms are just "UNSEEN".

Thanks, but it seems not to work.

In the group buffer I first visited a group which contains one unread
message, I left that group and typed outside

G G
unseen
and received the following *error* message
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Couldn’t request group nnir:nnir-87a764m2w8.fsf: S...")
signal(error ("Couldn’t request group nnir:nnir-87a764m2w8.fsf: S..."))
error("Couldn't request group %s: %s" "nnir:nnir-87a764m2w8.fsf" "Search produced empty results.")
gnus-select-newsgroup("nnir:nnir-87a764m2w8.fsf" t nil)
gnus-summary-read-group-1("nnir:nnir-87a764m2w8.fsf" t t nil nil nil)
gnus-summary-read-group("nnir:nnir-87a764m2w8.fsf" t t nil nil nil nil)
gnus-group-read-group(t t "nnir:nnir-87a764m2w8.fsf" nil)
gnus-group-read-ephemeral-group("nnir-87a764m2w8.fsf" (nnir "nnir") nil nil nil nil ((nnir-specs (nnir-query-spec (query . "unseen")) (nnir-group-spec ("nnimap:UCMgmail" ("nnimap+UCMgmail:Karp"))))))
gnus-group-make-nnir-group(nil)
funcall-interactively(gnus-group-make-nnir-group nil)
call-interactively(gnus-group-make-nnir-group nil nil)
command-execute(gnus-group-make-nnir-group)

My setting is

(nnimap "UCMgmail"
(nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
(nnimap-server-port 993)
;; (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo.gpg")
(nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo")
(nnimap-stream ssl)
;;(nnimap-stream starttls)
(nnimap-fetch-partial-articles t)
(nnir-search-engine imap))

So I am puzzled,

What went wrong?

[-- Attachment #1.2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: reading email via imap, make one virtual group consisting of all UNREAD mails in the imap folders
@ 2020-01-31 18:56     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2020-01-31 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

>> Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I am reading my emails, via the nnimap backend and sometimes I start
>>> thunderbird first, which then first moves unread emails to certain folders
>>> using filter rules.
>>>
>>> Here comes the question: can I create a gnus virtual group which would
>>> display only the unread emails, of the groups I am subscribed to in gnus?
>
>> You should be able to create a persistent nnir search group, where the
>> search terms are just "UNSEEN".
>
> Thanks, but it seems not to work.
>
> In the group buffer I first visited a group which contains one unread
> message, I left that group and typed outside
>
> G G
> unseen
> and received the following *error* message
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Couldn’t request group nnir:nnir-87a764m2w8.fsf: S...")
> signal(error ("Couldn’t request group nnir:nnir-87a764m2w8.fsf: S..."))
> error("Couldn't request group %s: %s" "nnir:nnir-87a764m2w8.fsf" "Search produced empty results.")
> gnus-select-newsgroup("nnir:nnir-87a764m2w8.fsf" t nil)
> gnus-summary-read-group-1("nnir:nnir-87a764m2w8.fsf" t t nil nil nil)
> gnus-summary-read-group("nnir:nnir-87a764m2w8.fsf" t t nil nil nil nil)
> gnus-group-read-group(t t "nnir:nnir-87a764m2w8.fsf" nil)
> gnus-group-read-ephemeral-group("nnir-87a764m2w8.fsf" (nnir "nnir")
> nil nil nil nil ((nnir-specs (nnir-query-spec (query . "unseen"))
> (nnir-group-spec ("nnimap:UCMgmail" ("nnimap+UCMgmail:Karp"))))))
> gnus-group-make-nnir-group(nil)
> funcall-interactively(gnus-group-make-nnir-group nil)
> call-interactively(gnus-group-make-nnir-group nil nil)
> command-execute(gnus-group-make-nnir-group)
>
> My setting is
>
> (nnimap "UCMgmail"
> (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
> (nnimap-server-port 993)
> ;; (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo.gpg")
> (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo")
> (nnimap-stream ssl)
> ;;(nnimap-stream starttls)
> (nnimap-fetch-partial-articles t)
> (nnir-search-engine imap))

My guess is that you'll have to set `nnir-imap-default-search-key' to
"imap": that allows your query string to use the full imap search
syntax. Otherwise you're stuck using `nnir-imap-default-search-key'. The
whole system is very odd.

Eric

* Re: reading email via imap, make one virtual group consisting of all UNREAD mails in the imap folders
@ 2020-02-01  1:45     ` Andrew Cohen
From: Andrew Cohen @ 2020-02-01  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

By default the query you tried just searches for the word "unseen" in
messages in the group. Instead try using a prefix arg

C-u G G

then type "UNSEEN" in response to the "Query" prompt

and type "imap" from the "Imap search in" prompt.

If this works then you can create a persistent search.

* Re: reading email via imap, make one virtual group consisting of all UNREAD mails in the imap folders
@ 2020-02-01 10:03       ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2020-02-01 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

>>> "AC" == Andrew Cohen <cohen@bu.edu> writes:

   > By default the query you tried just searches for the word "unseen" in
   > messages in the group. Instead try using a prefix arg

   > C-u G G

   > then type "UNSEEN" in response to the "Query" prompt

   > and type "imap" from the "Imap search in" prompt.

   > If this works then you can create a persistent search.

Aha thanks that worked for one single group, reading the documentation,

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/gnus/Basic-Usage.html

«Calling for an nnir search with the cursor on a topic heading will
search all the groups under that heading. »

I thought, for topic configuration like this

      [ Imap_UCM_Gmail 65083 ]
*            0: nnimap+UCMgmail:INBOX
        [ Mathematik 55 ]
               0: nnimap+UCMgmail:Submitted
          [ Kollegen 55 ]
                 3: nnimap+UCMgmail:1-Helix

Putting the cursor on       [ Imap_UCM_Gmail 65083 ]

and repeating the above procedure then  would display all the unseen message in all
subscribed groups. However, it did  not.

So:

    1. If I want to do that interatively, what should I do?

    2. What is the syntax for persistent search, which would generate me
       a group say UNSEEN, which displays all the unseen message in all
       subscribed imap groups?

Thank you very much

Uwe Brauer

[-- Attachment #1.2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: reading email via imap, make one virtual group consisting of all UNREAD mails in the imap folders
@ 2020-02-04 22:32         ` Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz @ 2020-02-04 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Sat, Feb 01 2020, Uwe Brauer wrote:

>    > By default the query you tried just searches for the word "unseen" in
>    > messages in the group. Instead try using a prefix arg
>
>    > C-u G G
>
>    > then type "UNSEEN" in response to the "Query" prompt
>
>    > and type "imap" from the "Imap search in" prompt.
>
>    > If this works then you can create a persistent search.
>
> Aha thanks that worked for one single group, reading the documentation,
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/gnus/Basic-Usage.html
>
> «Calling for an nnir search with the cursor on a topic heading will
> search all the groups under that heading. »

I've found out (in a recent build of emacs from master) that that's only
the case for the groups in the topic maked as 'permanently visible'.
Well, not sure if it's the *only* case, but my queries are looking only
at groups marked that way.

HTH,
jao
--
One reason that life is complex is that it has a real part and an
imaginary part.