From: asjo@koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren)
To: info-gnus-english@gnu.org
Subject: Re: nnimap groups failing to connect to server
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2017 12:33:11 +0100	[thread overview]

Pier writes:

> I have double install in my laptop, one is Ubuntu and the other a newly
> installed Debian.

Which version of Debian?

> Opening TLS connection to ‘mail.wservices.ch’...
> Opening TLS connection with ‘gnutls-cli --x509cafile
> /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt -p 993 mail.wservices.ch’...failed

If you run this by hand, what error do you get?

> I have checked the "ca-certificates.crt" file for both installs, and they
> are identical.

> Local folders are read ok and I am using the Ubuntu install for posting
> this, as even the smtp server is not working in Debian.

What is the output in *Messages* on the setup that works? Which of the
tls/ssl related commands succeeds?

> What am I missing?

I would start by comparing versions of gnutls and openssl on the two
setups, and by running the command that succeeds by hand on the other
setup, to see what error is returned.

My first guess would be that your Debian installation has stricter
demands on what TLS versions/etc. are accepted.

Although I just tested running:

 $ gnutls-cli --x509cafile /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt -p 993 mail.wservices.ch

on a Debian stable machine and a Debian unstable one, and both worked,
so my guess might be way off.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "It's part of our policy not to be taken seriously.          Adam Sjøgren
  Our opposition, whoever they may be, in all manifest   asjo@koldfront.dk