* gnus INBOX housekeeping, kept (copies of) mail lying around
@ 2016-01-05 11:04 Gijs Hillenius
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2016-01-05 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Doing some Gnus imap folders housekeeping this morning, I found that
8000 messages (called 131940.  131941. etcetera) /hiding/ in the imap's
INBOX. It looks like these are all emails that I've 'deleted' in Gnus,
so they don't show. But for some reason they're not actually deleted.

Is this a setting I messed up? I recall there used to be such a feature,
but I don't remember what that was called. I've been searching the
manual for this, so far without the result I hoped to find.

I would appreciate a few hints.

* Re: gnus INBOX housekeeping, kept (copies of) mail lying around
@ 2016-01-05 11:17 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2016-01-05 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Gijs Hillenius <gijs@hillenius.net> writes:

> Doing some Gnus imap folders housekeeping this morning, I found that
> 8000 messages (called 131940.  131941. etcetera) /hiding/ in the imap's
> INBOX. It looks like these are all emails that I've 'deleted' in Gnus,
> so they don't show. But for some reason they're not actually deleted.
>
> Is this a setting I messed up? I recall there used to be such a feature,
> but I don't remember what that was called. I've been searching the
> manual for this, so far without the result I hoped to find.
>
> I would appreciate a few hints.

That doesn't sound normal no matter what, but perhaps you can check your
expunge settings? Either way, my guess is the solution to your problem
will have the word "expunge" in it :)

* Re: gnus INBOX housekeeping, kept (copies of) mail lying around
@ 2016-01-05 11:26 ` CHENG Gao
From: CHENG Gao @ 2016-01-05 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

*On Tue, 05 Jan 2016 12:04:25 +0100
* Also sprach Gijs Hillenius <gijs@hillenius.net>:

> Doing some Gnus imap folders housekeeping this morning, I found that
> 8000 messages (called 131940.  131941. etcetera) /hiding/ in the imap's
> INBOX. It looks like these are all emails that I've 'deleted' in Gnus,
> so they don't show. But for some reason they're not actually deleted.
>
> Is this a setting I messed up? I recall there used to be such a feature,
> but I don't remember what that was called. I've been searching the
> manual for this, so far without the result I hoped to find.
>
> I would appreciate a few hints.

gnus-group-expunge-group? Or maybe set nnimap-expunge to t.

* Re: gnus INBOX housekeeping, kept (copies of) mail lying around
@ 2016-01-05 12:38 ` Gijs Hillenius
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1737.1451998456.843.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2016-01-05 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On  5 Jan 2016, Gijs Hillenius wrote:

> Doing some Gnus imap folders housekeeping this morning, I found that
> 8000 messages (called 131940.  131941. etcetera) /hiding/ in the
> imap's INBOX. It looks like these are all emails that I've 'deleted'
> in Gnus, so they don't show. But for some reason they're not actually
> deleted.
>
> Is this a setting I messed up? I recall there used to be such a
> feature, but I don't remember what that was called. I've been
> searching the manual for this, so far without the result I hoped to
> find.
>
> I would appreciate a few hints.

encouraged by the two replies...

I just sent myself two emails (from a throw-away gmail account), and
notice that these messages end up on the system twice.

My nnimap-split-fancy places them in the correct nnimap mail group, but
a "copy" (or perhaps the original) stays in the INBOX, hidden.

Does that ring a bell, with anyone?

--
BOFH excuse #320:

You've been infected by the Telescoping Hubble virus.

* Re: gnus INBOX housekeeping, kept (copies of) mail lying around
@ 2016-01-05 12:54   ` Eric Abrahamsen
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1737.1451998456.843.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2016-01-05 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Gijs Hillenius <gijs@hillenius.net> writes:

> On  5 Jan 2016, Gijs Hillenius wrote:
>

>> Doing some Gnus imap folders housekeeping this morning, I found that
>> 8000 messages (called 131940.  131941. etcetera) /hiding/ in the
>> imap's INBOX. It looks like these are all emails that I've 'deleted'
>> in Gnus, so they don't show. But for some reason they're not actually
>> deleted.
>>
>> Is this a setting I messed up? I recall there used to be such a
>> feature, but I don't remember what that was called. I've been
>> searching the manual for this, so far without the result I hoped to
>> find.
>>
>> I would appreciate a few hints.
>
> encouraged by the two replies...
>
> I just sent myself two emails (from a throw-away gmail account), and
> notice that these messages end up on the system twice.
>
> My nnimap-split-fancy places them in the correct nnimap mail group, but
> a "copy" (or perhaps the original) stays in the INBOX, hidden.
>
> Does that ring a bell, with anyone?

Is it a Gmail address?

Not that that immediately solves the problem, but it would be useful
information. Also, what's your Gnus version?

@ 2016-01-05 13:07     ` Gijs Hillenius
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1740.1452000295.843.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2016-01-05 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On  5 Jan 2016, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

> Gijs Hillenius <gijs@hillenius.net> writes:
>
>> On  5 Jan 2016, Gijs Hillenius wrote:
>>

>>> Doing some Gnus imap folders housekeeping this morning, I found that
>>> 8000 messages (called 131940.  131941. etcetera) /hiding/ in the
>>> imap's INBOX. It looks like these are all emails that I've 'deleted'
>>> in Gnus, so they don't show. But for some reason they're not
>>> actually deleted.
>>>
>>> Is this a setting I messed up? I recall there used to be such a
>>> feature, but I don't remember what that was called. I've been
>>> searching the manual for this, so far without the result I hoped to
>>> find.
>>>
>>> I would appreciate a few hints.
>>
>> encouraged by the two replies...
>>
>> I just sent myself two emails (from a throw-away gmail account), and
>> notice that these messages end up on the system twice.
>>
>> My nnimap-split-fancy places them in the correct nnimap mail group,
>> but a "copy" (or perhaps the original) stays in the INBOX, hidden.
>>
>> Does that ring a bell, with anyone?
>
> Is it a Gmail address?
>
> Not that that immediately solves the problem, but it would be useful
> information. Also, what's your Gnus version?

The test email came from gmail. My server is for the vanity domain I'm
currently posting with

Gnus v5.13, in GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (Debian)

a snippet from my server settings:

	(nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
	(nnimap-split-methods nnmail-split-fancy)
	(nnimap-unsplittable-articles
	 '(%Deleted))

I wonder about that ^^^ last line, I don't actually recognise it.

A summary of my fancy-split (with lots of lines omitted)

(setq nnimap-split-fancy
      '(|
	("From" "googlealerts.*" "INBOX.google-alerts")
	(any "c[...]" "INBOX.tmp")
	;; Invoke the BBDB
	(: (lambda ()
	     (car (bbdb/gnus-split-method))))
	;; Default mailbox
	("INBOX" "")))

* Re: gnus INBOX housekeeping, kept (copies of) mail lying around
@ 2016-01-05 13:24       ` Eric Abrahamsen
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1740.1452000295.843.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2016-01-05 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Gijs Hillenius <gijs@hillenius.net> writes:

> On  5 Jan 2016, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>
>> Gijs Hillenius <gijs@hillenius.net> writes:

>>> encouraged by the two replies...
>>>
>>> I just sent myself two emails (from a throw-away gmail account), and
>>> notice that these messages end up on the system twice.
>>>
>>> My nnimap-split-fancy places them in the correct nnimap mail group,
>>> but a "copy" (or perhaps the original) stays in the INBOX, hidden.
>>>
>>> Does that ring a bell, with anyone?
>>
>> Is it a Gmail address?
>>
>> Not that that immediately solves the problem, but it would be useful
>> information. Also, what's your Gnus version?
>
> The test email came from gmail. My server is for the vanity domain I'm
> currently posting with
>
> Gnus v5.13, in GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (Debian)
>
> a snippet from my server settings:
>
> 	(nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
> 	(nnimap-split-methods nnmail-split-fancy)
> 	(nnimap-unsplittable-articles
> 	 '(%Deleted))
>
> I wonder about that ^^^ last line, I don't actually recognise it.

This will be the problem. The normal value of that var is (%Deleted
%Seen). Removing %Seen means that all messages in your Inbox will
continue being split every time you check for new mail, even though
you've already seen them, and they're already in the Inbox.

Essentially that means that all messages are copied from the Inbox back
into the Inbox each time you check mail.

I pushed a change to nnimap.el some time ago that prevents the splitting
process from splitting mail into the group it's already in, but you
probably don't have that change in your version of Gnus.

In the meantime you can fix the problem by setting
`nnimap-unsplittable-articles' back to '(%Deleted %Seen). If you leave
unread messages in your Inbox for a while, you'll still have a bit of
the same problem. But the main issue will be fixed.

Try that!

Eric

@ 2016-01-05 14:16         ` Gijs Hillenius
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2016-01-05 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On  5 Jan 2016, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

> Gijs Hillenius <gijs@hillenius.net> writes:

>>> Is it a Gmail address?
>>>
>>> Not that that immediately solves the problem, but it would be useful
>>> information. Also, what's your Gnus version?
>>
>> The test email came from gmail. My server is for the vanity domain
>> I'm currently posting with
>>
>> Gnus v5.13, in GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (Debian)
>>
>> a snippet from my server settings:
>>
>> 	(nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
>> 	(nnimap-split-methods nnmail-split-fancy)
>> 	(nnimap-unsplittable-articles
>> 	 '(%Deleted))
>>
>> I wonder about that ^^^ last line, I don't actually recognise it.
>
> This will be the problem. The normal value of that var is (%Deleted
> %Seen). Removing %Seen means that all messages in your Inbox will
> continue being split every time you check for new mail, even though
> you've already seen them, and they're already in the Inbox.
>
> Essentially that means that all messages are copied from the Inbox
> back into the Inbox each time you check mail.
>
> I pushed a change to nnimap.el some time ago that prevents the
> splitting process from splitting mail into the group it's already in,
> but you probably don't have that change in your version of Gnus.
>
> In the meantime you can fix the problem by setting
> `nnimap-unsplittable-articles' back to '(%Deleted %Seen). If you leave
> unread messages in your Inbox for a while, you'll still have a bit of
> the same problem. But the main issue will be fixed.

I've added %Seen. Restarted Gnus. Should I expect new messages to now be
"removed" from INBOX ?

I'm asking because a first test from the same throw away address is
again in the INBOX (but invisible to gnus) and in the fancy split
folder. Should these messages not be marked expunge or something?

* Re: gnus INBOX housekeeping, kept (copies of) mail lying around
@ 2016-01-05 14:48           ` Gijs Hillenius
       [not found]             ` <mailman.1745.1452006719.843.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2016-01-05 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On  5 Jan 2016, Gijs Hillenius wrote:

> On  5 Jan 2016, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>
>> Gijs Hillenius <gijs@hillenius.net> writes:

>>> The test email came from gmail. My server is for the vanity domain
>>> I'm currently posting with
>>>
>>> Gnus v5.13, in GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (Debian)
>>>
>>> a snippet from my server settings:
>>>
>>> 	(nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
>>> 	(nnimap-split-methods nnmail-split-fancy)
>>> 	(nnimap-unsplittable-articles
>>> 	 '(%Deleted))
>>>
>>> I wonder about that ^^^ last line, I don't actually recognise it.
>>
>> This will be the problem. The normal value of that var is (%Deleted
>> %Seen). Removing %Seen means that all messages in your Inbox will
>> continue being split every time you check for new mail, even though
>> you've already seen them, and they're already in the Inbox.
>>
>> Essentially that means that all messages are copied from the Inbox
>> back into the Inbox each time you check mail.
>>
>> I pushed a change to nnimap.el some time ago that prevents the
>> splitting process from splitting mail into the group it's already in,
>> but you probably don't have that change in your version of Gnus.
>>
>> In the meantime you can fix the problem by setting
>> `nnimap-unsplittable-articles' back to '(%Deleted %Seen). If you
>> leave unread messages in your Inbox for a while, you'll still have a
>> bit of the same problem. But the main issue will be fixed.
>
> I've added %Seen. Restarted Gnus. Should I expect new messages to now
> be "removed" from INBOX ?
>
> I'm asking because a first test from the same throw away address is
> again in the INBOX (but invisible to gnus) and in the fancy split
> folder. Should these messages not be marked expunge or something?

Perhaps this not throwing mail away is because of my cyrus conf, and has
nothing to do with Gnus. I'll start looking in this direction.

* Re: gnus INBOX housekeeping, kept (copies of) mail lying around
@ 2016-01-05 15:11             ` Eric Abrahamsen
       [not found]             ` <mailman.1745.1452006719.843.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2016-01-05 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Gijs Hillenius <gijs@hillenius.net> writes:

> On  5 Jan 2016, Gijs Hillenius wrote:

>>> This will be the problem. The normal value of that var is (%Deleted
>>> %Seen). Removing %Seen means that all messages in your Inbox will
>>> continue being split every time you check for new mail, even though
>>> you've already seen them, and they're already in the Inbox.
>>>
>>> Essentially that means that all messages are copied from the Inbox
>>> back into the Inbox each time you check mail.
>>>
>>> I pushed a change to nnimap.el some time ago that prevents the
>>> splitting process from splitting mail into the group it's already in,
>>> but you probably don't have that change in your version of Gnus.
>>>
>>> In the meantime you can fix the problem by setting
>>> `nnimap-unsplittable-articles' back to '(%Deleted %Seen). If you
>>> leave unread messages in your Inbox for a while, you'll still have a
>>> bit of the same problem. But the main issue will be fixed.
>>
>> I've added %Seen. Restarted Gnus. Should I expect new messages to now
>> be "removed" from INBOX ?
>>
>> I'm asking because a first test from the same throw away address is
>> again in the INBOX (but invisible to gnus) and in the fancy split
>> folder. Should these messages not be marked expunge or something?
>

> Perhaps this not throwing mail away is because of my cyrus conf, and has
> nothing to do with Gnus. I'll start looking in this direction.

I'm guessing, a bit, what the actual problem is. But please do let us
know how things progress!

@ 2016-01-07  7:28               ` Gijs Hillenius
       [not found]                 ` <mailman.1877.1452156877.843.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2016-01-07  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On  5 Jan 2016, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

[...]

Earlier I reported:

[...]

Which I was told could have something to do with

[...]

And now I wonder:

If my Gnus (5.13, part of Debian's Emacs) copies messages back into the
INBOX, does fancy-split set the delete/expunge IMAP flag to these?

Because, if it does not flag them for deletion, would that perhaps
explain why the nightly Cyrus pruning does not do anything? Cyrus is set
to remove from disk all messages that have been flagged for deletion for
3 days.

* Re: gnus INBOX housekeeping, kept (copies of) mail lying around
@ 2016-01-07  8:54                 ` Eric Abrahamsen
       [not found]                 ` <mailman.1877.1452156877.843.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2016-01-07  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Gijs Hillenius <gijs@hillenius.net> writes:

> On  5 Jan 2016, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>

> [...]
>
> Earlier I reported:

> [...]
>
> Which I was told could have something to do with

> [...]
>
> And now I wonder:
>
> If my Gnus (5.13, part of Debian's Emacs) copies messages back into the
> INBOX, does fancy-split set the delete/expunge IMAP flag to these?
>
> Because, if it does not flag them for deletion, would that perhaps
> explain why the nightly Cyrus pruning does not do anything? Cyrus is set
> to remove from disk all messages that have been flagged for deletion for
> 3 days.

No, no flags are set. From IMAP's point of view, splitting is simply a
MOVE operation. Sorry, I misspoke earlier when I said the messages were
*copied* back into the same group. They're actually MOVEd. That means
there's only ever one copy of the message, but it gets a new UUID
number each time.

No new flags are set at all.

@ 2016-01-07  9:14                   ` Gijs Hillenius
       [not found]                     ` <mailman.1882.1452175419.843.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2016-01-07  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

[...] hope snipping this much is ok..

>> If my Gnus (5.13, part of Debian's Emacs) copies messages back into
>> the INBOX, does fancy-split set the delete/expunge IMAP flag to
>> these?
>>
>> Because, if it does not flag them for deletion, would that perhaps
>> explain why the nightly Cyrus pruning does not do anything? Cyrus is
>> set to remove from disk all messages that have been flagged for
>> deletion for 3 days.
>
> No, no flags are set. From IMAP's point of view, splitting is simply a
> MOVE operation. Sorry, I misspoke earlier when I said the messages
> were *copied* back into the same group. They're actually MOVEd. That
> means there's only ever one copy of the message, but it gets a new
> UUID number each time.
>
> No new flags are set at all.

So, these message come back int the INBOX, but are not shown anymore by
Gnus. They are also not marked as deletable and that would explain why
Cyrus does not remove them from disk, yes?

* Re: gnus INBOX housekeeping, kept (copies of) mail lying around
@ 2016-01-07 14:03                     ` Eric Abrahamsen
       [not found]                     ` <mailman.1882.1452175419.843.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2016-01-07 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Gijs Hillenius <gijs@hillenius.net> writes:

> [...] hope snipping this much is ok..
>

>>> If my Gnus (5.13, part of Debian's Emacs) copies messages back into
>>> the INBOX, does fancy-split set the delete/expunge IMAP flag to
>>> these?
>>>
>>> Because, if it does not flag them for deletion, would that perhaps
>>> explain why the nightly Cyrus pruning does not do anything? Cyrus is
>>> set to remove from disk all messages that have been flagged for
>>> deletion for 3 days.
>>
>> No, no flags are set. From IMAP's point of view, splitting is simply a
>> MOVE operation. Sorry, I misspoke earlier when I said the messages
>> were *copied* back into the same group. They're actually MOVEd. That
>> means there's only ever one copy of the message, but it gets a new
>> UUID number each time.
>>
>> No new flags are set at all.
>
> So, these message come back int the INBOX, but are not shown anymore by
> Gnus. They are also not marked as deletable and that would explain why
> Cyrus does not remove them from disk, yes?

Right. Once they are given the Seen flag, that flag sticks with them
even if they are moved around (including "moved" into the same group
they were already in). That Seen flag means Gnus won't show them to you
again.

I think the distinction here is between message deletion, and adding the
"Deleted" flag. Deletion occurs as part of the move process (the message
is in one instant removed from one group and added to another). If
you're MOVEing to the same group, the message is deleted from that
group, then added back to that group. But it keeps its old flags, and no
other flags are put on it (there's nothing in the splitting process that
would add a Deleted flag), so Cyrus doesn't see any reason why it should
garbage-collect the message at the end of the day.

Hope that makes sense.

* is this a bug in gnus v5.13? Re: gnus INBOX housekeeping, kept (copies of) mail lying around
       [not found]                     ` <mailman.1882.1452175419.843.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2016-01-08  7:54                       ` Gijs Hillenius
       [not found]                         ` <mailman.1947.1452249217.843.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2016-01-08  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On  7 Jan 2016, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

> Gijs Hillenius <gijs@hillenius.net> writes:
>
>> [...] hope snipping this much is ok..

>>> No, no flags are set. From IMAP's point of view, splitting is simply
>>> a MOVE operation. Sorry, I misspoke earlier when I said the messages
>>> were *copied* back into the same group. They're actually MOVEd. That
>>> means there's only ever one copy of the message, but it gets a new
>>> UUID number each time.
>>>
>>> No new flags are set at all.
>>
>> So, these message come back int the INBOX, but are not shown anymore
>> by Gnus. They are also not marked as deletable and that would explain
>> why Cyrus does not remove them from disk, yes?
>
> Right. Once they are given the Seen flag, that flag sticks with them
> even if they are moved around (including "moved" into the same group
> they were already in). That Seen flag means Gnus won't show them to
> you again.
>
> I think the distinction here is between message deletion, and adding
> the "Deleted" flag. Deletion occurs as part of the move process (the
> message is in one instant removed from one group and added to
> another). If you're MOVEing to the same group, the message is deleted
> from that group, then added back to that group. But it keeps its old
> flags, and no other flags are put on it (there's nothing in the
> splitting process that would add a Deleted flag), so Cyrus doesn't see
> any reason why it should garbage-collect the message at the end of the
> day.

So, we're saying the same thing, correct?

What I don't understand is - and apologies for being long-winded:

The way I use Gnus: when I start it, or hit g, new messages in the INBOX
are fancy-splitted, and moved to various IMAP folders. So I see several
INBOX.subfolders with a new, unread messages. These copies, that are
kept in the INBOX, as a user I don't know about these, I don't see them
in any IMAP mail client. Is that why 'root' sees 8k messages in the
INBOX when root happens to look at this users' INBOX folder?

How can Cyrus tell these message can safely be trashed? I guess this is
a question for a Cryus mailing list, where it not that this "keeping a
copy" does not happen for mail that is split on the server by a Sieve
script. So, perhaps this is a Gnus fancy-split bug?

* Re: is this a bug in gnus v5.13? Re: gnus INBOX housekeeping, kept (copies of) mail lying around
@ 2016-01-08 10:33                         ` Eric Abrahamsen
       [not found]                         ` <mailman.1947.1452249217.843.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2016-01-08 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Gijs Hillenius <gijs@hillenius.net> writes:

> On  7 Jan 2016, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>
>> Gijs Hillenius <gijs@hillenius.net> writes:
>>
>>> [...] hope snipping this much is ok..

>>> So, these message come back int the INBOX, but are not shown anymore
>>> by Gnus. They are also not marked as deletable and that would explain
>>> why Cyrus does not remove them from disk, yes?
>>
>> Right. Once they are given the Seen flag, that flag sticks with them
>> even if they are moved around (including "moved" into the same group
>> they were already in). That Seen flag means Gnus won't show them to
>> you again.
>>
>> I think the distinction here is between message deletion, and adding
>> the "Deleted" flag. Deletion occurs as part of the move process (the
>> message is in one instant removed from one group and added to
>> another). If you're MOVEing to the same group, the message is deleted
>> from that group, then added back to that group. But it keeps its old
>> flags, and no other flags are put on it (there's nothing in the
>> splitting process that would add a Deleted flag), so Cyrus doesn't see
>> any reason why it should garbage-collect the message at the end of the
>> day.
>
> So, we're saying the same thing, correct?
>
> What I don't understand is - and apologies for being long-winded:
>
> The way I use Gnus: when I start it, or hit g, new messages in the INBOX
> are fancy-splitted, and moved to various IMAP folders. So I see several
> INBOX.subfolders with a new, unread messages. These copies, that are
> kept in the INBOX, as a user I don't know about these, I don't see them
> in any IMAP mail client. Is that why 'root' sees 8k messages in the
> INBOX when root happens to look at this users' INBOX folder?
>
> How can Cyrus tell these message can safely be trashed? I guess this is
> a question for a Cryus mailing list, where it not that this "keeping a
> copy" does not happen for mail that is split on the server by a Sieve
> script. So, perhaps this is a Gnus fancy-split bug?

Okay hang on, we're not quite talking about the same thing here. If
messages are split into _other_ groups, then everything should go fine
-- they should leave the INBOX altogether (what's your value for
nnimap-inbox on this server?) go to the new group, and Gnus should never
try to split them again.

The situation I was talking about was when messages _aren't_ matched by
any split methods, and they stay in the INBOX. In that case, they keep
getting removed and copied back into the INBOX.

If your messages are getting split into other groups, then things should
work as expected. Remind of the problem again?

Sorry about the confusion...

Eric

@ 2016-01-08 11:27                           ` Gijs Hillenius
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2016-01-08 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On  8 Jan 2016, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

> Gijs Hillenius <gijs@hillenius.net> writes:

>>> Right. Once they are given the Seen flag, that flag sticks with them
>>> even if they are moved around (including "moved" into the same group
>>> they were already in). That Seen flag means Gnus won't show them to
>>> you again.
>>>
>>> I think the distinction here is between message deletion, and adding
>>> the "Deleted" flag. Deletion occurs as part of the move process (the
>>> message is in one instant removed from one group and added to
>>> another). If you're MOVEing to the same group, the message is
>>> deleted from that group, then added back to that group. But it keeps
>>> its old flags, and no other flags are put on it (there's nothing in
>>> the splitting process that would add a Deleted flag), so Cyrus
>>> doesn't see any reason why it should garbage-collect the message at
>>> the end of the day.
>>
>> So, we're saying the same thing, correct?
>>
>> What I don't understand is - and apologies for being long-winded:
>>
>> The way I use Gnus: when I start it, or hit g, new messages in the
>> INBOX are fancy-splitted, and moved to various IMAP folders. So I see
>> several INBOX.subfolders with a new, unread messages. These copies,
>> that are kept in the INBOX, as a user I don't know about these, I
>> don't see them in any IMAP mail client. Is that why 'root' sees 8k
>> messages in the INBOX when root happens to look at this users' INBOX
>> folder?
>>
>> How can Cyrus tell these message can safely be trashed? I guess this
>> is a question for a Cryus mailing list, where it not that this
>> "keeping a copy" does not happen for mail that is split on the server
>> by a Sieve script. So, perhaps this is a Gnus fancy-split bug?
>
> Okay hang on, we're not quite talking about the same thing here. If
> messages are split into _other_ groups, then everything should go fine
> -- they should leave the INBOX altogether (what's your value for
> nnimap-inbox on this server?) go to the new group, and Gnus should
> never try to split them again.

Aha! In my case, messages are copied rather than moved to the
INBOX.subfolder. So they end up in two folders: the INBOX (hidden, and
out of reach) and in the INBOX.subfolder.

That will surely be an error on my part. But which one & where..

> The situation I was talking about was when messages _aren't_ matched
> by any split methods, and they stay in the INBOX. In that case, they
> keep getting removed and copied back into the INBOX.

ok, I get this. These messages will always be visible in the mail
client. These messages are not what I'm trying to explain :-)

> If your messages are getting split into other groups, then things
> should work as expected. Remind of the problem again?
>
> Sorry about the confusion...

That is me, probably

* Re: is this a bug in gnus v5.13? Re: gnus INBOX housekeeping, kept (copies of) mail lying around
@ 2016-01-09  4:02                             ` Eric Abrahamsen
       [not found]                               ` <mailman.2029.1452332680.843.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2016-01-09  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Gijs Hillenius <gijs@hillenius.net> writes:

> On  8 Jan 2016, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>
>> Gijs Hillenius <gijs@hillenius.net> writes:

>>> So, we're saying the same thing, correct?
>>>
>>> What I don't understand is - and apologies for being long-winded:
>>>
>>> The way I use Gnus: when I start it, or hit g, new messages in the
>>> INBOX are fancy-splitted, and moved to various IMAP folders. So I see
>>> several INBOX.subfolders with a new, unread messages. These copies,
>>> that are kept in the INBOX, as a user I don't know about these, I
>>> don't see them in any IMAP mail client. Is that why 'root' sees 8k
>>> messages in the INBOX when root happens to look at this users' INBOX
>>> folder?
>>>
>>> How can Cyrus tell these message can safely be trashed? I guess this
>>> is a question for a Cryus mailing list, where it not that this
>>> "keeping a copy" does not happen for mail that is split on the server
>>> by a Sieve script. So, perhaps this is a Gnus fancy-split bug?
>>
>> Okay hang on, we're not quite talking about the same thing here. If
>> messages are split into _other_ groups, then everything should go fine
>> -- they should leave the INBOX altogether (what's your value for
>> nnimap-inbox on this server?) go to the new group, and Gnus should
>> never try to split them again.
>
> Aha! In my case, messages are copied rather than moved to the
> INBOX.subfolder. So they end up in two folders: the INBOX (hidden, and
> out of reach) and in the INBOX.subfolder.
>
> That will surely be an error on my part. But which one & where..

Okay, you did describe what was happening earlier in the thread, I just
got distracted. Sorry! So you mentioned your fancy split methods look
something like this:

(setq nnimap-split-fancy
      '(|
	("From" "googlealerts.*" "INBOX.google-alerts")
	(any "c[...]" "INBOX.tmp")
	;; Invoke the BBDB
	(: (lambda ()
	     (car (bbdb/gnus-split-method))))
	;; Default mailbox
	("INBOX" "")))

I'm not a splitting expert (I've stopped using it, and wasn't very good
at it to begin with), but there are a couple of things odd about this.
First, I don't think that's how you're supposed to use
`bbdb/gnus-split-method'. The comments in bbdb-gnus indicate that you're
supposed to do something like this:

(setq nnmail-split-methods 'bbdb/gnus-split-method)
(setq bbdb/gnus-split-nomatch-function nnimap-split-fancy)

Ie, the bbdb gets a chance to return a split first, and only if it
doesn't come up with anything does nnimap-split-fancy come into play. So
you'd set something like the above in your init, and then remove the
lambda from your fancy splits.

Second, ("INBOX" "") looks weird to me. The splitting examples I've seen
all just end in a plain box name: "INBOX".

Maybe try making those changes, and see if it improves?

Eric

* Re: is this a bug in gnus v5.13? Re: gnus INBOX housekeeping, kept (copies of) mail lying around
@ 2016-01-09  9:44                               ` Adam Sjøgren
       [not found]                               ` <mailman.2029.1452332680.843.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2016-01-09  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Eric writes:

[...trim your quotes, folks...]

> (setq nnimap-split-fancy
>       '(|
> 	("From" "googlealerts.*" "INBOX.google-alerts")
> 	(any "c[...]" "INBOX.tmp")
> 	;; Invoke the BBDB
> 	(: (lambda ()
> 	     (car (bbdb/gnus-split-method))))
> 	;; Default mailbox
> 	("INBOX" "")))
>
> I'm not a splitting expert (I've stopped using it, and wasn't very good
> at it to begin with), but there are a couple of things odd about this.
> First, I don't think that's how you're supposed to use
> `bbdb/gnus-split-method'. The comments in bbdb-gnus indicate that you're
> supposed to do something like this:
>
> (setq nnmail-split-methods 'bbdb/gnus-split-method)
> (setq bbdb/gnus-split-nomatch-function nnimap-split-fancy)

You don't have to, I have been using the former way since days of yore.

The point is that I want the rules before the call to bbdb/gnus-split-
method to "overrule" bbdb.

(E.g. I want commit messages to go to a commit-group, regardless of
whether I have the person who did the commit configured in bbdb to be
split into another group).

I have, however, also these two bbdb-splitting related settings:

  (setq bbdb/gnus-split-default-group nil
        bbdb/gnus-split-nomatch-function nil)

I don't know if the first could be of relevance here - I guess not,
because then Gijs' emails would have been going to mail.misc...

(IMAP is complicated.)

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Some people... some people like cupcakes exclusively,       Adam Sjøgren
  while I myself say there is naught nor ought there be  asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: is this a bug in gnus v5.13? Re: gnus INBOX housekeeping, kept (copies of) mail lying around
@ 2016-01-11  6:56                                 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2016-01-11  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Eric writes:
>
> [...trim your quotes, folks...]
>
>> (setq nnimap-split-fancy
>>       '(|
>> 	("From" "googlealerts.*" "INBOX.google-alerts")
>> 	(any "c[...]" "INBOX.tmp")
>> 	;; Invoke the BBDB
>> 	(: (lambda ()
>> 	     (car (bbdb/gnus-split-method))))
>> 	;; Default mailbox
>> 	("INBOX" "")))
>>
>> I'm not a splitting expert (I've stopped using it, and wasn't very good
>> at it to begin with), but there are a couple of things odd about this.
>> First, I don't think that's how you're supposed to use
>> `bbdb/gnus-split-method'. The comments in bbdb-gnus indicate that you're
>> supposed to do something like this:
>>
>> (setq nnmail-split-methods 'bbdb/gnus-split-method)
>> (setq bbdb/gnus-split-nomatch-function nnimap-split-fancy)
>
> You don't have to, I have been using the former way since days of yore.
>
> The point is that I want the rules before the call to bbdb/gnus-split-
> method to "overrule" bbdb.
>
> (E.g. I want commit messages to go to a commit-group, regardless of
> whether I have the person who did the commit configured in bbdb to be
> split into another group).
>
> I have, however, also these two bbdb-splitting related settings:
>
>   (setq bbdb/gnus-split-default-group nil
>         bbdb/gnus-split-nomatch-function nil)
>
> I don't know if the first could be of relevance here - I guess not,
> because then Gijs' emails would have been going to mail.misc...
>
> (IMAP is complicated.)

Right, but the basic point remains that bbdb/gnus-split-method will
hijack the whole process unless you stop it -- though there are multiple
ways of stopping it. Anyhow, Gijs should have a few options to play with
now...

* Re: is this a bug in gnus v5.13? Re: gnus INBOX housekeeping, kept (copies of) mail lying around
@ 2016-01-11  9:28                                   ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2016-01-11  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Eric writes:

> Right, but the basic point remains that bbdb/gnus-split-method will
> hijack the whole process unless you stop it -- though there are multiple
> ways of stopping it. Anyhow, Gijs should have a few options to play with
> now...

You're right, the "put it into fancy-split lambda"-thing can't stand alone.

One of the problems with a fossilised setup: I don't remember how things
are interconnected any more...

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Jeg kan godt lide den hvor Cobber starter!"                 Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: is this a bug in gnus v5.13? Re: gnus INBOX housekeeping, kept (copies of) mail lying around
       [not found]                               ` <mailman.2029.1452332680.843.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2016-01-11  9:29                                 ` Gijs Hillenius
                                                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2016-01-11  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On  9 Jan 2016, Adam Sjøgren wrote:

> [...trim your quotes, folks...]

ok!

[...]

>> `bbdb/gnus-split-method'. The comments in bbdb-gnus indicate that
>> you're supposed to do something like this:
>>
>> (setq nnmail-split-methods 'bbdb/gnus-split-method)
>> (setq bbdb/gnus-split-nomatch-function nnimap-split-fancy)

[...]

> I have, however, also these two bbdb-splitting related settings:
>
> (setq bbdb/gnus-split-default-group nil
> bbdb/gnus-split-nomatch-function nil)

I do/did not have latter in my .gnus.

Added them this morning, ran a few tests the past hours, but my messages
continue to get split correctly, with erroneous copies remaining
invisible in the INBOX.

I'll try the former, next.

* Re: is this a bug in gnus v5.13? Re: gnus INBOX housekeeping, kept (copies of) mail lying around
@ 2016-01-11  9:33                                   ` Adam Sjøgren
       [not found]                                   ` <mailman.2130.1452505220.843.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2016-01-11  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Gijs writes:

> Added them this morning, ran a few tests the past hours, but my messages
> continue to get split correctly, with erroneous copies remaining
> invisible in the INBOX.

Note that I don't use splitting with IMAP, so take what ever I say with
an extra grain of salt...

  O:-),

    Adam

--
 "Tato zprava byla vytvorena automaticky a proto na ni        Adam Sjøgren
  prosim neodpovidejte."                                 asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: is this a bug in gnus v5.13? Re: gnus INBOX housekeeping, kept (copies of) mail lying around
@ 2016-01-11  9:40                                   ` Eric Abrahamsen
       [not found]                                   ` <mailman.2130.1452505220.843.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2016-01-11  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Gijs Hillenius <gijs@hillenius.net> writes:

> On  9 Jan 2016, Adam Sjøgren wrote:
>
>> [...trim your quotes, folks...]
>
> ok!
>

> [...]
>
>>> `bbdb/gnus-split-method'. The comments in bbdb-gnus indicate that
>>> you're supposed to do something like this:
>>>
>>> (setq nnmail-split-methods 'bbdb/gnus-split-method)
>>> (setq bbdb/gnus-split-nomatch-function nnimap-split-fancy)
>
> [...]
>

>> I have, however, also these two bbdb-splitting related settings:
>>
>> (setq bbdb/gnus-split-default-group nil
>> bbdb/gnus-split-nomatch-function nil)
>
> I do/did not have latter in my .gnus.
>
> Added them this morning, ran a few tests the past hours, but my messages
> continue to get split correctly, with erroneous copies remaining
> invisible in the INBOX.
>
> I'll try the former, next.

Another option is: bbdb/gnus-nnimap-folder-list-from-bbdb. I used to use
that, and found it simpler and less mysterious. It just dumps a bunch of
splits wherever you use it. I think it's maybe less configurable, but I
found it sufficient, and also less confusing to use.

@ 2016-01-11 11:34                                     ` Gijs Hillenius
       [not found]                                       ` <mailman.2136.1452512951.843.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2016-01-11 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On 11 Jan 2016, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

[...]

> Another option is: bbdb/gnus-nnimap-folder-list-from-bbdb. I used to
> use that, and found it simpler and less mysterious. It just dumps a
> bunch of splits wherever you use it. I think it's maybe less
> configurable, but I found it sufficient, and also less confusing to
> use.

Tried this, in vain, too.

FWIW, the section in my .gnus regarding split now looks like this:

(require 'bbdb-gnus) ;;required for bbdb/gnus-nnimap-folder-list-from-bbdb

(setq nnimap-split-rule  'nnimap-split-fancy
      nnimap-split-inbox "INBOX"
      nnimap-split-fancy
     `(|
	("From" "googlealerts.*" "INBOX.google-alerts")
	(any     lots of STUFF omitted
                                          "INBOX.tmp")
	,@(bbdb/gnus-nnimap-folder-list-from-bbdb)
	))

and tested this for 4 incoming emails. The gnus/BBDB splits correctly
but there are still invisible copies in the INBOX

* Re: is this a bug in gnus v5.13? Re: gnus INBOX housekeeping, kept (copies of) mail lying around
@ 2016-01-11 11:48                                       ` Adam Sjøgren
       [not found]                                       ` <mailman.2136.1452512951.843.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2016-01-11 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Gijs writes:

> The gnus/BBDB splits correctly but there are still invisible copies in
> the INBOX

I don't know if it is relevant, but what value does nnmail-crosspost
have?

,----[ C-h v nnmail-crosspost RET ]
| nnmail-crosspost is a variable defined in `nnmail.el'.
| Its value is nil
| Original value was t
|
| Documentation:
| If non-nil, do crossposting if several split methods match the mail.
| If nil, the first match found will be used.
|
| You can customize this variable.
`----

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Remember the First Rule of Optimization: DON'T."            Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

@ 2016-01-11 12:54                                         ` Gijs Hillenius
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2016-01-11 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On 11 Jan 2016, Adam Sjøgren wrote:

> Gijs writes:
>
>> The gnus/BBDB splits correctly but there are still invisible copies
>> in the INBOX
>
> I don't know if it is relevant, but what value does nnmail-crosspost
> have?

setting nnmail-crosspost to nil has zilch effect, unfortunately

@ 2016-01-11 13:18                                         ` Gijs Hillenius
       [not found]                                           ` <mailman.2152.1452527287.843.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2016-01-11 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Is there some kind of debug flag I can switch on, to see what gnus &
bbdb are doing in fancy-split

* Re: is this a bug in gnus v5.13? Re: gnus INBOX housekeeping, kept (copies of) mail lying around
@ 2016-01-11 15:47                                           ` Adam Sjøgren
       [not found]                                           ` <mailman.2152.1452527287.843.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2016-01-11 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Gijs writes:

> Is there some kind of debug flag I can switch on, to see what gnus &
> bbdb are doing in fancy-split

B t gives you a trace, B q show you where the email you are on will be
split to.

Otherwise it sounds like you need to go to edebug-defun...

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Jeg har den regel, at jeg altid laver fuld install.         Adam Sjøgren
  Dvs. _alle_ pakker."                                   asjo@koldfront.dk

* FIXED Re: is this a bug in gnus v5.13? Re: gnus INBOX housekeeping, kept (copies of) mail lying around
       [not found]                                           ` <mailman.2152.1452527287.843.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2016-01-18  8:08                                             ` Gijs Hillenius
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2016-01-18  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On 11 Jan 2016, Adam Sjøgren wrote:

> Gijs writes:
>
>> Is there some kind of debug flag I can switch on, to see what gnus &
>> bbdb are doing in fancy-split
>
> B t gives you a trace, B q show you where the email you are on will be
> split to.
>
> Otherwise it sounds like you need to go to edebug-defun...

using edebug was great, coz it shows my Gnus configuration works
fine. The last lines al return nil, which points to Gnus copying the
message succesfully and marking the original for deletion . So the
problem lay elsewhere.

I think I fixed it, in Cyrus, by running Squat and recreating an index
of my INBOX. I'm not sure that was it, but now the invisible' messages
are being removed.