* How to not get the Cc header in Gnus, on reply to mail
@ 2013-10-02 19:47 Emanuel Berg
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-10-02 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

When I answer a mail in Gnus (with
`gnus-article-followup-with-original') I get an
undesired Cc header (with my own mail address). I
suppose this is some hack to get a "sent messages"
archive (?), but I already have that as

(setq gnus-message-archive-group '("archived-news-and-mail") )

and

(defun save-sent-mail ()
  "Save sent messages."
  (write-file
   (format-time-string "~/Mail/sent/%Y-%m-%d_%T.m")
   nil) ) ; no confirm
(add-hook 'message-sent-hook 'save-sent-mail)

so I don't want it. I wrote this

(defun remove-cc ()
  (interactive)
  (save-excursion
    (message-goto-cc)
    (beginning-of-line)
    (kill-line) )
  (set-buffer-modified-p nil) )

which works (if invoked), but I couldn't automatize it
because I didn't manage to get it to be carried out in
the message buffer - instead it was executed in the
article mode buffer, where it made no sense.

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: How to not get the Cc header in Gnus, on reply to mail
@ 2013-10-02 21:09 ` Dmitrii Kashin
       [not found] ` <mailman.3273.1380748202.10748.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Dmitrii Kashin @ 2013-10-02 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> When I answer a mail in Gnus (with
> `gnus-article-followup-with-original') I get an
> undesired Cc header (with my own mail address).

Try to check message-default-mail-headers variable. Maybe you should
unset it?

> I suppose this is some hack to get a "sent messages" archive (?)

Hm... How have you done such an interesting conclusion? Certainly
no. Because the mail copy should pass an external mail server and return
again, but you could put it into archive just *before* sending, so why
do you need to wait its returning?

It's a feature, that provide users of some ugly smtp services like GMail
for getting they mails from mailing lists, because GMail drops them as
duplicates.

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 835 bytes --]

@ 2013-10-02 21:40   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-10-02 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Dmitrii Kashin <freehck@freehck.ru> writes:

>> When I answer a mail in Gnus (with
>> gnus-article-followup-with-original') I get an
>> undesired Cc header (with my own mail address).
>
> Try to check message-default-mail-headers
> variable. Maybe you should unset it?

It says, 'message-default-mail-headers's value is
""'. Any ideas what to do with it?

>> I suppose this is some hack to get a "sent messages"
>> archive (?)
>
> Because the mail copy should pass an external mail
> server and return again, but you could put it into
> archive just *before* sending, so why do you need to
> wait its returning?

Yes, like I said, I don't want it. But if I did want it,
I suppose I *would* like the "external mail server and
return", otherwise I wouldn't be sure it ever got sent
(i.e., I just have a saved buffer on my disk, not a
message that traveled the Internet). But (again), I
don't want it.

> It's a feature, that provide users of some ugly smtp
> services like GMail for getting they mails from
> mailing lists, because GMail drops them as duplicates.

Aha, I get it.

--

@ 2013-10-02 22:18 ` Adam Sjøgren
       [not found] ` <mailman.3275.1380752323.10748.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2013-10-02 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> When I answer a mail in Gnus (with
> `gnus-article-followup-with-original') I get an
> undesired Cc header (with my own mail address).

Does it help to customize message-dont-reply-to-names?

,----[ C-h v message-dont-reply-to-names RET ]
| message-dont-reply-to-names is a variable defined in `message.el'.
| Its value is
| "\\(asjo\\|adam)@\\(koldfront.dk\\|asjo.org\\)"
| Original value was nil
|
| Documentation:
| *Addresses to prune when doing wide replies.
| This can be a regexp or a list of regexps.  Also, a value of nil means
| exclude your own user name only.
|
| [...]
`----

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Subdued flamboyance"                                        Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

@ 2013-10-02 22:37   ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]     ` <mailman.3311.1380813356.10748.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-10-02 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Does it help to customize message-dont-reply-to-names?

Yes, that did it! I had to set that to my *e-mail*,
which perhaps isn't crystal clear by the variable name
("-names"), but then I saw your exammple. so I did just
that.

Mange tak.

--

@ 2013-10-03 15:15     ` Teemu Likonen
       [not found]     ` <mailman.3311.1380813356.10748.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2013-10-03 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Emanuel Berg [2013-10-03 00:37:48 +02:00] wrote:

> asjo@koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) writes:
>> Does it help to customize message-dont-reply-to-names?
>
> Yes, that did it!

I suggest configuring Gnus's various email variables like this:

(defvar my-email-addresses
  '("my.primary@address.net"  ;The first one is the primary address.
    "some.other@mail-address.com"
    "yet.another@somewhere.net"))

(let ((addr my-email-addresses))
  (setq-default
   user-mail-address (car addr)
   message-alternative-emails (regexp-opt (cdr addr) 'words)
   message-dont-reply-to-names (regexp-opt addr 'words)
   gnus-ignored-from-addresses message-dont-reply-to-names))

@ 2013-10-03 19:20       ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-10-03 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi> writes:

> I suggest configuring Gnus's various email variables
> like this:
>

> (defvar my-email-addresses
>   '("my.primary@address.net"  ; [...]
>     "some.other@mail-address.com"
>     "yet.another@somewhere.net"))
>
> (let ((addr my-email-addresses))
>   (setq-default
>    user-mail-address (car addr)
>    message-alternative-emails (regexp-opt (cdr addr) 'words)
>    message-dont-reply-to-names (regexp-opt addr 'words)
>    gnus-ignored-from-addresses message-dont-reply-to-names))

Well, it seemed it was enough to set
message-dont-reply-to-names (as you mention as
well). But, if this problem resurfaces in some other
context, I'll examine those other variables. Kiitos.

--

@ 2013-10-03 21:26       ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]         ` <mailman.3353.1380837955.10748.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-10-03 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi> writes:

> (defvar my-email-addresses
>   '("my.primary@address.net"  ;The first one is the primary address.
>     "some.other@mail-address.com"
>     "yet.another@somewhere.net"))
>

> (let ((addr my-email-addresses))
>   (setq-default
>    user-mail-address (car addr)
>    message-alternative-emails (regexp-opt (cdr addr) 'words)
>    message-dont-reply-to-names (regexp-opt addr 'words)
>    gnus-ignored-from-addresses message-dont-reply-to-names))

Another thing, that you (or someone else) might be able
to figure out: when you (Mr. Likonen) answered my post,
I got the reply not only in gnu.emacs.gnus, but also as
*a mail*. This happens sometimes, but not
always. Although I don't mind people mailing me, in this
particular case, it would be better to just use the
newsgroup.

When you invoke a reply command, does my mail address
turn up in a header field? If so, is there anything I
could to do make this not happening?  Or, if it is
inevitable, can I somehow tell Gnus to not bring me
duplicates?

--

@ 2013-10-03 22:05         ` Adam Sjøgren
       [not found]         ` <mailman.3353.1380837955.10748.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2013-10-03 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Another thing, that you (or someone else) might be able
> to figure out: when you (Mr. Likonen) answered my post,
> I got the reply not only in gnu.emacs.gnus, but also as
> *a mail*.

Incidently I read the mailing list as gmane.emacs.gnus.user on Gmane :-)

Some people feel it necessary to send replies to both the list and the
author when replying on mailing lists. Maybe that is what you are
seeing?

(It is less common to email copies of news articles, fortunately.)

I think you can set some header to avoid this (at least from Gnus
users), but I also seem to remember I found some drawback and stopped
using it myself.

I think it was "Mail-Copies-To: never". I wonder what made me comment it
out...

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "I skal gå tre skridt væk fra mig                            Adam Sjøgren
  For jeg har fundet en som rammer"                      asjo@koldfront.dk

@ 2013-10-03 22:22           ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]             ` <mailman.3356.1380839774.10748.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-10-03 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> I think it was "Mail-Copies-To: never". I wonder what
> made me comment it out...

Is that a header that should be inserted in my outgoing
traffic?

"Comment", you say, does that mean you somehow
automatized the insert on send, or perhaps on creating a
new message? If so, do you mind sharing that code? :)

--

@ 2013-10-03 22:35             ` Adam Sjøgren
       [not found]             ` <mailman.3356.1380839774.10748.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2013-10-03 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> asjo@koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) writes:

>> I think it was "Mail-Copies-To: never". I wonder what
>> made me comment it out...

> Is that a header that should be inserted in my outgoing
> traffic?

Yes.

> "Comment", you say, does that mean you somehow
> automatized the insert on send, or perhaps on creating a
> new message? If so, do you mind sharing that code? :)

I was using posting styles, see:

 * http://gnus.org/manual/gnus_154.html#SEC154

I had a section that said:

	(message-this-is-news
          (Mail-Copies-To "never")
	)

in my gnus-posting-styles list.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "I do not find reading diffs in email to be a                Adam Sjøgren
  hardship, but I used to walk uphill both ways to       asjo@koldfront.dk

@ 2013-10-03 23:26               ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-10-03 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english