* IMAP connection (openssl) hangs
@ 2006-07-19 14:17 Martin Geisler
From: Martin Geisler @ 2006-07-19 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've recently switched to my university's IMAP server (a University of
Washington imapd) and since then I've had frequent problems with
reading mail.

I use SSL like this:

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnimap "daimi" (nnimap-address "daimi.au.dk")
                (nnimap-stream ssl))))

When I start Gnus it works fine, but after a while of inactivity the
connection hangs. After a long timeout Gnus gives up.

If I kill the openssl process (pkill openssl) then Gnus notices this
immediatedly and reconnects correctly.

Is it safe to kill the openssl process like that or do I loose some
state information when Gnus has to reconnect to the IMAP server? Could
I make Gnus kill the connection automatically on idle?

This is with Gnus version 5.11 from the Debian emacs-snapshot-gtk
package version 1:20060712-2 and the Debian openssl package version
0.9.8b-2.

--
Martin Geisler                                     GnuPG Key: 0x7E45DD38

PHP Exif Library      |  PHP Weather             |  PHP Shell
http://pel.sf.net/    |  http://phpweather.net/  |  http://mgeisler.net/
Read/write Exif data  |  Show current weather    |  A shell in a browser