* anybody ever use gnus with noffle?
@ 2002-06-23  9:14 Dan Jacobson
       [not found] ` <20020623125621.72FA29AC.NOFFLE@kumara.local.local>
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2002-06-23  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

I don't suppose anybody has ever used noffle with gnus?

What do you do about noffle's
       over   fetch only article overviews by default. Opening an
              article marks it for download next time online,

       thread like over, but download articles full if an article
              of the same thread already has been downloaded.

modes?  Do you do your picking and then use Q so the articles don't
get marked as already read before they're fetched?

gnus-pick-mode obviously isn't talking about this case.  Now what?

I don't suppose any of the gnus-agent commands would be usable here.
Don't tell me to use gnus-agent itself, I tried that.
--
http://jidanni.org/ Taiwan(04)25854780

* Re: anybody ever use gnus with noffle?
       [not found] ` <20020623125621.72FA29AC.NOFFLE@kumara.local.local>
@ 2002-06-24 19:45   ` Dan Jacobson
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2002-06-24 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

M> By the way, noffle has a nasty bug that was causing my Gnus to hang upon
M> startup.  When asking for new groups, Gnus sends

M>     NEWGROUPS %y%m%d %H%M%S GMT

M> but noffle silently ignores the "GMT" argument, and treats the GMT time as
M> though it's local.  Since, like me, you're east of Greenwich, you might
M> find that new groups are reported more than once.

hmm, i didn't see gnus hanging on startup, and probably wouldn't catch
new groups being reported more than once.  So maybe I wasn't bitten.
By the way i use the noffle version as found in debian woody, i.e.
$ noffle --version
Cannot open /var/spool/noffle/lock/global (Permission denied)
Could not get write lock
god*ammit
$ su
$ Password:
# su -c 'noffle --version' news
NNTP server NOFFLE, version 1.0.1.
M> My workaround (until noffle is fixed) was to patch Gnus to send local-time
M> rather than GMT:

M>     (deffoo nntp-request-newgroups (date &optional server)
OK, this is neat, but one cannot just stick it at the bottom of a
.gnus.el file and expect gnus to work next time.  There must be more
too it.

By the way, my computer [CMOS] runs on local time, maybe I haven't got bitten
thusly?  Oops, probably irrelevant.
--
http://jidanni.org/ Taiwan(04)25854780