* resend message:  Wrong type argument: stringp, mail-user-name
@ 2014-11-18 11:18 Gijs Hillenius
       [not found] ` <mailman.14000.1416383740.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2014-11-18 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi

This is most likely a local bug: when I want to resend an email, I do
`SDr`. Invariably, when hitting C-c C-c, the result is
"message-make-from: Wrong type argument: stringp, mail-user-name"

Alternatively, SDe just works.

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument stringp mail-user-name)
  string-match("[^- !#-'*+/-9=?A-Z^-~]" mail-user-name)
  message-make-from()
  message-generate-headers(((optional . References)))
  message-setup-1(((To . "some name <some@name.example>")) nil nil nil)
  message-setup(((To . "some name <some@name.example>")))
  message-resend("some name <some@name.example>")
  gnus-summary-resend-message("some name <some@name.example>" nil)
  call-interactively(gnus-summary-resend-message nil nil)
  command-execute(gnus-summary-resend-message)

anybody an idea?

--
BOFH excuse #341:

HTTPD Error 666 : BOFH was here

* Re: resend message:  Wrong type argument: stringp, mail-user-name
@ 2014-11-19  7:55 ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found] ` <mailman.14000.1416383740.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2014-11-19  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Gijs Hillenius <gijs@hillenius.net> writes:

Hi Gijs,

> This is most likely a local bug: when I want to resend an email, I do
> `SDr`. Invariably, when hitting C-c C-c, the result is
> "message-make-from: Wrong type argument: stringp, mail-user-name"
>
> Alternatively, SDe just works.
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument stringp mail-user-name)
>   string-match("[^- !#-'*+/-9=?A-Z^-~]" mail-user-name)
>   message-make-from()

Looking at the code, the line with the error is

  (string-match "[^- !#-'*+/-9=?A-Z^-~]" fullname)

where fullname is let-bound to

  (or name
      (and (boundp 'user-full-name)
           user-full-name)
      (user-full-name))

`name' is not provided according to your backtrace.  So I guess you have
somewhere in your init file

  (setq user-full-name 'mail-user-name)

whereas you probably wanted to write

  (setq user-full-name mail-user-name)

That is, you accidentally set `user-full-name' to the symbol
mail-user-name instead to the value of that variable.

Bye,
Tassilo

@ 2014-11-19 19:22   ` Gijs Hillenius
       [not found]     ` <mailman.14232.1416560704.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2014-11-19 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On 19 Nov 2014, Tassilo Horn wrote:

> Gijs Hillenius <gijs@hillenius.net> writes:
>
> Hi Gijs,
>
>> This is most likely a local bug: when I want to resend an email, I do
>> `SDr`. Invariably, when hitting C-c C-c, the result is
>> "message-make-from: Wrong type argument: stringp, mail-user-name"
>>
>> Alternatively, SDe just works.
>>
>> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument stringp
>> mail-user-name) string-match("[^- !#-'*+/-9=?A-Z^-~]" mail-user-name)
>> message-make-from()
>
> Looking at the code, the line with the error is
>
> (string-match "[^- !#-'*+/-9=?A-Z^-~]" fullname)
>
> where fullname is let-bound to
>
> (or name
> (and (boundp 'user-full-name)
> user-full-name)
> (user-full-name))
>
> `name' is not provided according to your backtrace.  So I guess you
> have somewhere in your init file
>
> (setq user-full-name 'mail-user-name)
>
> whereas you probably wanted to write
>
> (setq user-full-name mail-user-name)
>
> That is, you accidentally set `user-full-name' to the symbol
> mail-user-name instead to the value of that variable.

Thanks!

Lemme check. Hm.

I have it set as described in the manual:

(setq user-full-name "Your Name")

But, eh, I also use

message-alternative-emails

which the manual shows takes precedence over styles that ran off
message-setup-hook. Perhaps that is what throws the spanner?

* Re: resend message:  Wrong type argument: stringp, mail-user-name
@ 2014-11-21  9:04     ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found]     ` <mailman.14232.1416560704.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2014-11-21  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Gijs Hillenius <gijs@hillenius.net> writes:

>> `name' is not provided according to your backtrace.  So I guess you
>> have somewhere in your init file
>>
>> (setq user-full-name 'mail-user-name)
>>
>> whereas you probably wanted to write
>>
>> (setq user-full-name mail-user-name)
>>
>> That is, you accidentally set `user-full-name' to the symbol
>> mail-user-name instead to the value of that variable.
>
> I have it set as described in the manual:
>
> (setq user-full-name "Your Name")
>
> But, eh, I also use
>
> message-alternative-emails
>
> which the manual shows takes precedence over styles that ran off
> message-setup-hook. Perhaps that is what throws the spanner?

Hm, well, maybe.  The problem is that some variable that's intended to
contain the user name as a string actually contains the symbol
mail-user-name.  I've just grepped the emacs and gnus sources, and there
the symbol mail-user-name doesn't occur at all, so it's some local
customization of yours or maybe a third-party package that causes the
issue.

But you can use `apropos-value' to find variables that contain a value
whose print representation matches a given regex.  So what does

  M-x apropos-value RET ^mail-user-name$ RET

list?

Bye,
Tassilo

* Fixed: Re: resend message:  Wrong type argument: stringp, mail-user-name
       [not found]     ` <mailman.14232.1416560704.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2014-12-03  8:11       ` Gijs Hillenius
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2014-12-03  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

This is fixed, thanks to the suggestions (and persistance) of Tassilo
Horn, whom I contacted off-list. My .gnus contained an erroneous (name
mail-user-name).