* Mark own message automatically as read
@ 2014-04-22 13:52 Igor Sosa Mayor
       [not found] ` <mailman.20046.1398178711.10748.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Igor Sosa Mayor @ 2014-04-22 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi,

this is maybe very easy, but I can not find how to do it. I would like
gnus to mark as read all messages sent by me.

If gnus could achieve this even in the groups buffer, that is, without
entering the summary buffer, it would be perfect...

many thanks in advance!

--
:: Igor Sosa Mayor     :: joseleopoldo1792@gmail.com ::
:: GnuPG: 0x1C1E2890   :: http://www.gnupg.org/      ::

* Re: Mark own message automatically as read
@ 2014-04-22 14:58 ` Adam Sjøgren
       [not found] ` <mailman.20046.1398178711.10748.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2014-04-22 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Igor Sosa Mayor <joseleopoldo1792@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> this is maybe very easy, but I can not find how to do it. I would like
> gnus to mark as read all messages sent by me.

Is this what you are looking for:

  ; Mark gcc'ed (archive) as read:
  (setq gnus-gcc-mark-as-read t)

?

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "I was taught at school never to start a sentence            Adam Sjøgren
  without knowing the end of it."                        asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Mark own message automatically as read
       [not found] ` <mailman.20046.1398178711.10748.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2014-04-22 21:29   ` Emanuel Berg
                       ` (3 more replies)
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-04-22 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> (setq gnus-gcc-mark-as-read t)

The documentation says:

"If non-nil, automatically mark Gcc articles as read."

To me, it sounds like all Gcc'd messages will be marked
as read. But even so, people very seldom use the Gcc
header anyway - or so it would seem.

I will definitely try this, because I have the same
problem as the OP. I sort of solved it by putting
*myself* in the KILL file, but that doesn't solve the
problem the OP mentions (or sort of) that this only
applies when I *enter* a group - optimally, I would
like all my "kills" applied transparently so I never
hear about them...

--
underground experts united:
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: Mark own message automatically as read
@ 2014-04-22 21:33   ` Igor Sosa Mayor
       [not found]     ` <mailman.20095.1398240620.10748.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Igor Sosa Mayor @ 2014-04-22 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Is this what you are looking for:
>
>   ; Mark gcc'ed (archive) as read:
>   (setq gnus-gcc-mark-as-read t)

thanks for your answer, but I'm afraid Emanuel Berg is completely right
in describing the problem I was trying to point out with my primitive
English...

--
:: Igor Sosa Mayor     :: joseleopoldo1792@gmail.com ::
:: GnuPG: 0x1C1E2890   :: http://www.gnupg.org/      ::
:: jabberid: rogorido  ::                            ::

* Re: Mark own message automatically as read
@ 2014-04-22 21:34     ` Igor Sosa Mayor
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Igor Sosa Mayor @ 2014-04-22 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> I will definitely try this, because I have the same
> problem as the OP. I sort of solved it by putting
> *myself* in the KILL file, but that doesn't solve the
> problem the OP mentions (or sort of) that this only
> applies when I *enter* a group - optimally, I would
> like all my "kills" applied transparently so I never
> hear about them...

strange the gnus does not have a ready solution for this... Well, this
tip with KILL is a possibility I will try...

--

@ 2014-04-23  8:04     ` Adam Sjøgren
       [not found]     ` <mailman.20093.1398240314.10748.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2014-04-23  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> "If non-nil, automatically mark Gcc articles as read."

> To me, it sounds like all Gcc'd messages will be marked
> as read. But even so, people very seldom use the Gcc
> header anyway - or so it would seem.

Really? I Gcc: all my emails and articles. That is how Gnus archives
outgoing messages...

But it may very well only be the archived copy that is automatically
marked as read.

I am so use to how it Just Works, that it feels natural to me. Maybe I
am just vain, and like to read my own emails and articles :-)

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "It is just what they are gathered here to do, that I        Adam Sjøgren
  find so ineffably, horrificly repugnant."              asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Mark own message automatically as read
@ 2014-04-23  8:07     ` Adam Sjøgren
       [not found]     ` <mailman.20095.1398240620.10748.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2014-04-23  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Igor Sosa Mayor <joseleopoldo1792@gmail.com> writes:

> thanks for your answer, but I'm afraid Emanuel Berg is completely right
> in describing the problem I was trying to point out with my primitive
> English...

I don't think the problem is your English, it is that I don't understand
the problem; sorry.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "I don't mind being wrong                                    Adam Sjøgren
  But this time I know I'm dead on..."                   asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Mark own message automatically as read
@ 2014-04-23  9:16     ` Damien Wyart
       [not found]     ` <mailman.20093.1398240314.10748.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Damien Wyart @ 2014-04-23  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

* Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se> in gnu.emacs.gnus:
> I will definitely try this, because I have the same problem as the OP.
> I sort of solved it by putting *myself* in the KILL file, but that
> doesn't solve the problem the OP mentions (or sort of) that this only
> applies when I *enter* a group - optimally, I would like all my
> "kills" applied transparently so I never hear about them...

In a similar conversation several years ago, scoring was also proposed
as a way to hide one's own messages (but this is not strictly marking
them as read, you are right):
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/info-gnus-english/2008-03/msg00021.html

--
DW

* Re: Mark own message automatically as read
@ 2014-04-23 10:17       ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2014-04-23 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I wonder if the gnus-registry somehow could be used for marking them
read...

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Your father traded the tools for M&Ms again"                Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

@ 2014-04-23 21:42       ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-04-23 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

>> To me, it sounds like all Gcc'd messages will be
>> marked as read. But even so, people very seldom use
>> the Gcc header anyway - or so it would seem.
>
> Really? I Gcc: all my emails and articles. That is
> how Gnus archives outgoing messages...

Yes, I do that as well. And I can live with those being
marked as read, if that's what happens with the option
you provided. Though, optimally, I would like them to
be *not* read (always shown) in my *archive* group, and
*never* shown in the group(s) you send them to. With
the rare exception when you post a question, and then
find the answer yourself - then, I like to quote
myself, and provide the answer. I guess that's a bit
"stöddigt" but it is beneficial to people who might
Google the same problem, and perhaps others who follow
the group and might be interested in general...

No - I meant, reading the docstring of the option you
suggested, it looked like all the stuff you get by
means of Gcc gets marked as read. And people might use
it to send things to you, right? But *that* never
happens to me - I don't think I ever got a single mail
that way. So perhaps it is OK just the same.

> But it may very well only be the archived copy that
> is automatically marked as read.

Post if you find out. I'll do the same.

> I am so use to how it Just Works, that it feels
> natural to me. Maybe I am just vain, and like to read
> my own emails and articles :-)

Yeah, that might be vanity, but it is also natural
because you are so familiar with the stream of
thoughts, it is like listening to a song you know
inside-out. Most often I read old messages that
describes something, and I know I once knew that, only
now, it foggy at best...

--

@ 2014-04-23 21:45       ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]         ` <mailman.51.1398413107.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-04-23 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Igor Sosa Mayor <joseleopoldo1792@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> thanks for your answer, but I'm afraid Emanuel Berg
>> is completely right in describing the problem I was
>> trying to point out with my primitive English...
>
> I don't think the problem is your English, it is that
> I don't understand the problem; sorry.

To the OP: I understand your problem and there is
nothing wrong with you English. My comment ("sort of")
referred to that the KILL solution removes your own
messages, yes, but part of the problem remains, namely
they still show up in the group buffer. Tell me if you
need instructions for setting up the KILL file, and, of
course, if you find a better way for doing this.

--

@ 2014-04-24 15:59         ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2014-04-24 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Though, optimally, I would like them to be *not* read (always shown)
> in my *archive* group,

Then you definitely should not use gnus-gcc-mark-as-read, as that is all
it does.

> and *never* shown in the group(s) you send them to.

Maybe it is because I am used to this, but I like seeing my own articles
in the groups I send them to, because then I know they got through.

> No - I meant, reading the docstring of the option you suggested, it
> looked like all the stuff you get by means of Gcc gets marked as read.
> And people might use it to send things to you, right?

Are you thinking of Bcc? Gcc is an entirely internal Gnus-thing.

>> But it may very well only be the archived copy that
>> is automatically marked as read.

> Post if you find out. I'll do the same.

Well, it is :-)

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "I think I've learned by now                                 Adam Sjøgren
  There's never an easy way"                             asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Mark own message automatically as read
@ 2014-04-25  8:04         ` Igor Sosa Mayor
       [not found]         ` <mailman.51.1398413107.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Igor Sosa Mayor @ 2014-04-25  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> To the OP: I understand your problem and there is
> nothing wrong with you English. My comment ("sort of")
> referred to that the KILL solution removes your own
> messages, yes, but part of the problem remains, namely
> they still show up in the group buffer. Tell me if you
> need instructions for setting up the KILL file, and, of
> course, if you find a better way for doing this.

Thanks. I have looked briefly at this kill system. It seems to work more
or less like the score system. I think I will be able to configure it.

The `problem' I'm addressing does not maybe deserve the name `problem'.
It is just a small annoyance.

Thanks again!

--

@ 2014-04-25 15:58           ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-04-25 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Igor Sosa Mayor <joseleopoldo1792@gmail.com> writes:

> The `problem' I'm addressing does not maybe deserve
> the name `problem'.  It is just a small annoyance.

Yeah - but then all the more reason for the pros to fix
it, as it should be easy -- if they didn't already do
it, and we are simply unaware of the solution, that is.