* Re: certain mail group needs "C-u RET" to show new unread mail
       [not found] <mailman.16212.1356706782.855.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2012-12-31 15:56 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
       [not found]   ` <mailman.16509.1357112983.855.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2012-12-31 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Brubeck Unhammer; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Kevin Brubeck Unhammer <unhammer@fsfe.org> writes:

> I have a certain IMAP folder where I always have to do something like
> C-u RET 338 RET (a lower number seems to not work, though it changes
> some times), in order to show new emails.

Sounds like your nnimap groups aren't updating.  Does `M-g' on the group
do anything useful?

* Re: certain mail group needs "C-u RET" to show new unread mail
@ 2013-01-02  7:49   ` Kevin Brubeck Unhammer
       [not found]   ` <mailman.16509.1357112983.855.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Brubeck Unhammer @ 2013-01-02  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Kevin Brubeck Unhammer <unhammer@fsfe.org> writes:
>
>> I have a certain IMAP folder where I always have to do something like
>> C-u RET 338 RET (a lower number seems to not work, though it changes
>> some times), in order to show new emails.
>
> Sounds like your nnimap groups aren't updating.  Does `M-g' on the group
> do anything useful?

From *Group*, it changed from no unread to 332 unread. Entering the
group with plain RET it asked me how many to fetch, 364 by default, then
showed me 3 unread (plus some ticked's). Exiting the group, *Group*
shows 3 unread, and does so whenever I enter/exit the group now. (I can
get it back to 332 by doing M-g again, then on RET I get asked about 364
and am shown 3 unread.)

I just tried M-g on all my other (10 or so) nnimap groups, all on the
same dovecot server, all from the same fastmail account, no change. It's
only the one group.

I guess I can advise `g' to do `M-g' on the misbehaving group …

--
Kevin Brubeck Unhammer

GPG: 0x766AC60C

* Re: certain mail group needs "C-u RET" to show new unread mail
@ 2013-01-02 12:53     ` Kevin Brubeck Unhammer
From: Kevin Brubeck Unhammer @ 2013-01-02 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Kevin Brubeck Unhammer <unhammer@fsfe.org> writes:

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
>> Kevin Brubeck Unhammer <unhammer@fsfe.org> writes:
>>
>>> I have a certain IMAP folder where I always have to do something like
>>> C-u RET 338 RET (a lower number seems to not work, though it changes
>>> some times), in order to show new emails.
>>
>> Sounds like your nnimap groups aren't updating.  Does `M-g' on the group
>> do anything useful?
>
> From *Group*, it changed from no unread to 332 unread. Entering the
> group with plain RET it asked me how many to fetch, 364 by default, then
> showed me 3 unread (plus some ticked's). Exiting the group, *Group*
> shows 3 unread, and does so whenever I enter/exit the group now. (I can
> get it back to 332 by doing M-g again, then on RET I get asked about 364
> and am shown 3 unread.)

After reading those three, the two other numbers decreased to 329 and
361, respectively. `C-u RET' still shows 2284 as max (while answering
with 999999 RET gives me a buffer with 1725 lines). Very strange.

--
Kevin Brubeck Unhammer

GPG: 0x766AC60C

       [not found]       ` <mailman.16590.1357197697.855.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2013-01-02 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Brubeck Unhammer; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Kevin Brubeck Unhammer <unhammer@fsfe.org> writes:

>>From *Group*, it changed from no unread to 332 unread. Entering the
> group with plain RET it asked me how many to fetch, 364 by default, then
> showed me 3 unread (plus some ticked's). Exiting the group, *Group*
> shows 3 unread, and does so whenever I enter/exit the group now. (I can
> get it back to 332 by doing M-g again, then on RET I get asked about 364
> and am shown 3 unread.)

Could it be an Agent issue?  Is the group covered by the Agent?  If so,
try deleting the Agent data and see whether that helps...

* Re: certain mail group needs "C-u RET" to show new unread mail
@ 2013-01-03  7:09       ` Kevin Brubeck Unhammer
       [not found]       ` <mailman.16590.1357197697.855.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Brubeck Unhammer @ 2013-01-03  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Kevin Brubeck Unhammer <unhammer@fsfe.org> writes:
>
>>>From *Group*, it changed from no unread to 332 unread. Entering the
>> group with plain RET it asked me how many to fetch, 364 by default, then
>> showed me 3 unread (plus some ticked's). Exiting the group, *Group*
>> shows 3 unread, and does so whenever I enter/exit the group now. (I can
>> get it back to 332 by doing M-g again, then on RET I get asked about 364
>> and am shown 3 unread.)
>
> Could it be an Agent issue?  Is the group covered by the Agent?  If so,
> try deleting the Agent data and see whether that helps...

I have had (setq gnus-agent nil) for some time now – could there still
be left-over agent stuff lingering around from when it was t? (I see
gnus-agent-article-alist is also nil.)

--
Kevin Brubeck Unhammer

GPG: 0x766AC60C

@ 2013-01-03  7:29         ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
       [not found]           ` <mailman.16592.1357199202.855.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2013-01-03  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Brubeck Unhammer; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Kevin Brubeck Unhammer <unhammer@fsfe.org> writes:

> I have had (setq gnus-agent nil) for some time now – could there still
> be left-over agent stuff lingering around from when it was t? (I see
> gnus-agent-article-alist is also nil.)

Setting `gnus-agent' to nil should disable all Agent stuff, but it's
possible that there's a bug in that area.  Try moving the ~/News/agent
directory out of the way, if you have that directory and restart.

* Re: certain mail group needs "C-u RET" to show new unread mail
@ 2013-01-03  7:43           ` Kevin Brubeck Unhammer
       [not found]           ` <mailman.16592.1357199202.855.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Brubeck Unhammer @ 2013-01-03  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Kevin Brubeck Unhammer <unhammer@fsfe.org> writes:
>
>> I have had (setq gnus-agent nil) for some time now – could there still
>> be left-over agent stuff lingering around from when it was t? (I see
>> gnus-agent-article-alist is also nil.)
>
> Setting `gnus-agent' to nil should disable all Agent stuff, but it's
> possible that there's a bug in that area.  Try moving the ~/News/agent
> directory out of the way, if you have that directory and restart.

No effect :(

--
Kevin Brubeck Unhammer

GPG: 0x766AC60C

@ 2013-01-03  8:46             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
       [not found]               ` <mailman.16602.1357218411.855.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2013-01-03  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Brubeck Unhammer; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Kevin Brubeck Unhammer <unhammer@fsfe.org> writes:

>> Setting `gnus-agent' to nil should disable all Agent stuff, but it's
>> possible that there's a bug in that area.  Try moving the ~/News/agent
>> directory out of the way, if you have that directory and restart.
>
> No effect :(

What's the output of `G E' on the group?

* Re: certain mail group needs "C-u RET" to show new unread mail
@ 2013-01-03 13:03               ` Kevin Brubeck Unhammer
       [not found]               ` <mailman.16602.1357218411.855.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Brubeck Unhammer @ 2013-01-03 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

http://dpaste.com/861911/plain/

--
Kevin Brubeck Unhammer

GPG: 0x766AC60C

@ 2013-08-01 13:06                 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
       [not found]                   ` <mailman.2319.1375372485.12400.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2013-08-01 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Kevin Brubeck Unhammer <unhammer@fsfe.org> writes:

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:

>>> No effect :(
>>
>> What's the output of `G E' on the group?
>
> http://dpaste.com/861911/plain/

I've been rather slow in responding, so this page is now empty.

  No Gnus T-Shirt for sale: http://ingebrigtsen.no/no.php

* Re: certain mail group needs "C-u RET" to show new unread mail
@ 2013-08-01 14:12                   ` Kevin Brubeck Unhammer
       [not found]                   ` <mailman.2319.1375372485.12400.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Brubeck Unhammer @ 2013-08-01 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Kevin Brubeck Unhammer <unhammer@fsfe.org> writes:
>
>> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:

>>> What's the output of `G E' on the group?
>>
>> http://dpaste.com/861911/plain/
>
> I've been rather slow in responding, so this page is now empty.

Trying the fancy C-c M-m instead then … at the moment, the strange group
looks like this:

("handel"
 (3 . 2485)
 ((1 . 2327)
  (2329 . 2337))
 ((forward 1411
	   (1453 . 1454)
	   1844 1879 2057 2205)
  (dormant 1686 2061)
  (reply 882 1059 1091 1180 1349 1360 1368
	 (1453 . 1454)
	 1546 1682 1692 1726 1731 1844 1852 1955 2070 2072 2145 2155 2204 2246 2249)
  (tick 851 853 1107 1183 1222 1287
	(1290 . 1291)
	(1295 . 1297)
	1338 1395 1425 1442 1466 1499 1581 1650 1668 1706 1723 1754 1777 1797 1800 2168 2172 2186 2189 2205 2226 2330)
  (seen
   (1 . 581)
   (583 . 1396)
   (1398 . 1404)
   (1406 . 1413)
   (1415 . 1419)
   (1421 . 1437)
   (1439 . 1466)
   (1468 . 1475)
   (1477 . 1496)
   (1498 . 1505)
   (1507 . 1513)
   1515
   (1518 . 1519)
   1521
   (1524 . 1526)
   (1529 . 1549)
   (1551 . 1555)
   (1557 . 1561)
   (1563 . 1569)
   (1574 . 1576)
   1579 1581
   (1583 . 1599)
   (1601 . 1605)
   (1611 . 1614)
   (1620 . 1628)
   (1631 . 1672)
   (1674 . 1683)
   (1685 . 1693)
   (1696 . 1700)
   1702
   (1704 . 1711)
   1713
   (1717 . 1735)
   (1737 . 1751)
   (1754 . 1782)
   (1784 . 1809)
   (1811 . 1815)
   (1817 . 1820)
   (1822 . 1844)
   (1849 . 1855)
   (1857 . 1858)
   (1862 . 1868)
   (1870 . 1876)
   (1878 . 1904)
   (1906 . 1907)
   1911 1918
   (1923 . 1924)
   1928 1930
   (1934 . 2001)
   (2003 . 2075)
   (2077 . 2260)
   (2262 . 2299)
   (2301 . 2337)))
 nil
 ((modseq . "1156")
  (uidvalidity . "1329730054")
  (active 1 . 2337)
  (permanent-flags %Answered %Flagged %Deleted %Seen %Draft gnus-forward gnus-expire gnus-dormant %*)))

Kevin Brubeck Unhammer

GPG: 0x766AC60C

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 489 bytes --]

@ 2013-08-01 15:59                     ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
       [not found]                       ` <mailman.2434.1375527986.12400.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2013-08-01 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Brubeck Unhammer; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Kevin Brubeck Unhammer <unhammer@fsfe.org> writes:

> ("handel"
>  (3 . 2485)
>  ((1 . 2327)
>   (2329 . 2337))

[...]

>  ((modseq . "1156")
>   (uidvalidity . "1329730054")
>   (active 1 . 2337)

So this says that the highest article number on the IMAP server is 2337,
and you have all articles except 2328 marked as read.  Is article 2337
(for instance) actually unread?

@ 2013-08-03 11:05                       ` Kevin Brubeck Unhammer
       [not found]                       ` <mailman.2434.1375527986.12400.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Brubeck Unhammer @ 2013-08-03 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Kevin Brubeck Unhammer <unhammer@fsfe.org> writes:
>
>> ("handel"
>>  (3 . 2485)
>>  ((1 . 2327)
>>   (2329 . 2337))
>
> [...]
>
>>  ((modseq . "1156")
>>   (uidvalidity . "1329730054")
>>   (active 1 . 2337)
>
> So this says that the highest article number on the IMAP server is 2337,
> and you have all articles except 2328 marked as read.  Is article 2337
> (for instance) actually unread?

    j 2337 RET

gives

    No such article (may have expired or been canceled)

The highest article number actually seems to be 2338 (article 2338 does
exist).

--

@ 2013-08-03 11:22                         ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2013-08-03 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Brubeck Unhammer; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Kevin Brubeck Unhammer <unhammer@fsfe.org> writes:

>>> ("handel"
>>>  (3 . 2485)
>>>  ((1 . 2327)
>>>   (2329 . 2337))
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>>  ((modseq . "1156")
>>>   (uidvalidity . "1329730054")
>>>   (active 1 . 2337)
>>
>> So this says that the highest article number on the IMAP server is 2337,
>> and you have all articles except 2328 marked as read.  Is article 2337
>> (for instance) actually unread?
>
>     j 2337 RET
>
> gives
>
>     No such article (may have expired or been canceled)

So that's OK, then.

> The highest article number actually seems to be 2338 (article 2338 does
> exist).

Does Gnus say that the highest `active' number is still 2337?

I guess my question is: What is this unread mail that `C-u RET' reveals?

@ 2013-08-05 13:10                           ` Kevin Brubeck Unhammer
From: Kevin Brubeck Unhammer @ 2013-08-05 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Does Gnus say that the highest `active' number is still 2337?
>
> I guess my question is: What is this unread mail that `C-u RET' reveals?

Perhaps I changed something in G E because now the bug seems to be gone.
I'll post more if it returns … thanks anyway :-)

--

@ 2012-12-28 14:59 Kevin Brubeck Unhammer
From: Kevin Brubeck Unhammer @ 2012-12-28 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english