* '=> gmane.emacs.help' as sender?
@ 2012-05-03 10:25 Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2012-05-03 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi List,
I changed my email address to a more serious one, and now want to adapt
  my subscriptions to this fact.

I did all my mailing list subscriptions with my old email via gmane
  (just sending a first post, then replying to the authorisation mail),
  and it worked (the sender was shown as configured in gmail). Now I
  tried the same with my new email address, but instead of showing
  'first name' 'last name' as sender (like configured in gmail) I get this:

,--------------------------------------------
| [  31: => gmane.emacs.help    ] subject ...
`--------------------------------------------

I tried to fix that by going to the web interfaces of some of the
  mailing list (like emacs.help e.g.) and subscribing there officially.
  Then I unsubscribed and re-subscribed via gnus/gmane. But to no avail,
  still gmane.emacs.help as sender (and nobody replying anymore to my
  posts).

How do I get rid of this?

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: '=> gmane.emacs.help' as sender?
@ 2012-05-03 11:04 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2012-05-03 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@googlemail.com> writes:

Hi Thorsten,

>   tried the same with my new email address, but instead of showing
>   'first name' 'last name' as sender (like configured in gmail) I get
>   this:
>
> ,--------------------------------------------
> | [  31: => gmane.emacs.help    ] subject ...
> `--------------------------------------------

That's intended and the reason is that you probably know your own first
and last name, and thus some other display is more useful for own
articles.

,----
|   3. The `gnus-ignored-from-addresses' variable says when the `%f'
|      summary line spec returns the `To', `Newsreader' or `From' header.
|      If this regexp matches the contents of the `From' header, the
|      value of the `To' or `Newsreader' headers are used instead.
|
|      To distinguish regular articles from those where the `From' field
|      has been swapped, a string is prefixed to the `To' or `Newsgroups'
|      header in the summary line.  By default the string is `-> ' for
|      `To' and `=> ' for `Newsgroups', you can customize these strings
|      with `gnus-summary-to-prefix' and `gnus-summary-newsgroup-prefix'.
`----

If you don't like that, replace %f with %F in your
`gnus-summary-line-format'.

,----[ C-h v gnus-summary-line-format RET ]
| gnus-summary-line-format is a variable defined in `gnus.el'.
| [...]
| %F          Contents of the From: header (string)
| %f          Contents of the From: or To: headers (string)
| [...]
`----

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: '=> gmane.emacs.help' as sender?
@ 2012-05-03 11:39   ` Thorsten Jolitz
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2012-05-03 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@googlemail.com> writes:

Hi Tassilo,
thanks a lot for the quick expert advice.

>>   tried the same with my new email address, but instead of showing
>>   'first name' 'last name' as sender (like configured in gmail) I get
>>   this:
>>
>> ,--------------------------------------------
>> | [  31: => gmane.emacs.help    ] subject ...
>> `--------------------------------------------
>
> That's intended and the reason is that you probably know your own first
> and last name, and thus some other display is more useful for own
> articles.

I don't really understand why anybody would want this. Is it only me who
  sees that sender string, or everybody else too? Isn't it much more
  informative to associate messages with sender names?

But anyway ...

> ,----
> |   3. The `gnus-ignored-from-addresses' variable says when the `%f'
> |      summary line spec returns the `To', `Newsreader' or `From' header.
> |      If this regexp matches the contents of the `From' header, the
> |      value of the `To' or `Newsreader' headers are used instead.
> |
> |      To distinguish regular articles from those where the `From' field
> |      has been swapped, a string is prefixed to the `To' or `Newsgroups'
> |      header in the summary line.  By default the string is `-> ' for
> |      `To' and `=> ' for `Newsgroups', you can customize these strings
> |      with `gnus-summary-to-prefix' and `gnus-summary-newsgroup-prefix'.
> `----
>
> If you don't like that, replace %f with %F in your
> `gnus-summary-line-format'.
>
> ,----[ C-h v gnus-summary-line-format RET ]
> | gnus-summary-line-format is a variable defined in `gnus.el'.
> | [...]
> | %F          Contents of the From: header (string)
> | %f          Contents of the From: or To: headers (string)
> | [...]
> `----

... I followed this advice before sending this message, so lets see what
happens.

PS
'C-h v fill-prefix' in this message buffer gives:

,--------------------------------------------------
`--------------------------------------------------

--

@ 2012-05-03 11:47     ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2012-05-03 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@googlemail.com> writes:

> Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> writes:
>
>> Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@googlemail.com> writes:

>> If you don't like that, replace %f with %F in your
>> `gnus-summary-line-format'.
>>
>> ,----[ C-h v gnus-summary-line-format RET ]
>> | gnus-summary-line-format is a variable defined in `gnus.el'.
>> | [...]
>> | %F          Contents of the From: header (string)
>> | %f          Contents of the From: or To: headers (string)
>> | [...]
>> `----
>

> ... I followed this advice before sending this message, so lets see what
> happens.

almost perfect, without the '<tjoli' part in the end.
here is the actual gnus-summary-line-format string:

,-------------------------------------
| "%U%R%z%I%(%[%4L: %-23,23F%]%) %s\n"
`-------------------------------------

a bit cryptic for me, what to change to just get my first and last name
  as sender string?

--

@ 2012-05-03 11:56       ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2012-05-03 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@googlemail.com> writes:

> Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> writes:
>>
>>> Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>>> If you don't like that, replace %f with %F in your
>>> `gnus-summary-line-format'.
>>>
>>> ,----[ C-h v gnus-summary-line-format RET ]
>>> `----
>>

>> ... I followed this advice before sending this message, so lets see what
>> happens.
>
> almost perfect, without the '<tjoli' part in the end.
> here is the actual gnus-summary-line-format string:
>
> ,-------------------------------------
> | "%U%R%z%I%(%[%4L: %-23,23F%]%) %s\n"
> `-------------------------------------
>
> a bit cryptic for me, what to change to just get my first and last name
>   as sender string?

I see, the whole thing seems to be a local issue, you probably see
  something entirely different, since now the summary buffer looks like
  this for me:

,--------------------------------------------------------------------
| O  [  27: Thorsten Jolitz <tjolit] '=> gmane.emacs.help' as sender?
| OA     [  42: Tassilo Horn <tassilo@m]
| OA         [  64: Thorsten Jolitz <tjolit]
|  .             [  34: Thorsten Jolitz <tjolit]
`--------------------------------------------------------------------

I could probably set gnus-summary-line-format to

 ,-------------------------------------
 | "%U%R%z%I%(%[%4L: %-15,15F%]%) %s\n"
 `-------------------------------------

then it would work for my name - but what for different name of
     different lenght? I always worked for all kind of names.

--

@ 2012-05-03 11:59     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2012-05-03 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Thu, 03 May 2012 13:39:36 +0200, Thorsten wrote:

> Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> writes:

>> That's intended and the reason is that you probably know your own first
>> and last name, and thus some other display is more useful for own
>> articles.

> I don't really understand why anybody would want this.

When shown in a group of only emails from a single mailinglist, it
doesn't add much, agreed. But in, say, a list of emails you have sent,
it can be nice.

> Is it only me who sees that sender string, or everybody else too?

It is only you who sees it that way, in Gnus, because you know your
name. Everybody else sees your name.

I.e. in my Summary buffer I see:

  OA+        [  34: Thorsten Jolitz        ]
  O +            [  20: => gmane.emacs.gnus.use]

While you would see something like:

  OA+        [  34: => gmane.emacs.gnus.use]
  O +            [  20: Adam Sjøgren           ]

The point is that in my nnml+archive:news-2012 I see a list like this:

  O. [  17: => gmane.emacs.gnus.gen] Re: I can haz cloud idea
  O. [  24: => gmane.discuss       ] Re: Expiring Gwene groups?

Which is nicer than a long list of just [  n: Adam Sjøgren     ] all
the way down.

> Isn't it much more informative to associate messages with sender
> names?

Yes, but you presumably know your own name quite well, so the space is
used for something more informative _in Gnus' display_ [only].

                                 o o o

This often pops up as a question quite often, so I do begin to wonder if
the default should be that this functionality be turned off.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "You have to photosynthesize"                                Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: '=> gmane.emacs.help' as sender?
@ 2012-05-03 12:04     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2012-05-03 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@googlemail.com> writes:

> I don't really understand why anybody would want this. Is it only me who
>   sees that sender string, or everybody else too?

Everybode else, too.

> Isn't it much more informative to associate messages with sender
> names?

Not if the sender is you.  Consider you have some sent-messages folder.
Then it makes much more sense to quickly see to whom you've sent.

> PS
> 'C-h v fill-prefix' in this message buffer gives:

Hm, then it's not `fill-prefix' fault...

What's the value of `auto-fill-function'?

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: '=> gmane.emacs.help' as sender?
@ 2012-05-03 12:24       ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2012-05-03 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

,------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| auto-fill-function is a variable defined in `C source code'.
| Its value is message-do-auto-fill
| Local in buffer *unsent followup to Tassilo Horn on gmane.emacs.gnus.user*; global value is nil
|
|   Automatically becomes buffer-local when set in any fashion.
|   This variable is potentially risky when used as a file local variable.
|   This variable is safe as a file local variable if its value
|   satisfies the predicate `null'.
|
| Documentation:
| Function called (if non-nil) to perform auto-fill.
| It is called after self-inserting any character specified in
| the `auto-fill-chars' table.
| NOTE: This variable is not a hook;
| its value may not be a list of functions.
`------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

message-do-auto-fill doesn't sound wrong to me, since I do want
                     auto-fill , but without this strange indentation of
                     random levels, it seems, since in this message, it
                     is twice as deep as before.

--

@ 2012-05-03 12:28       ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2012-05-03 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> On Thu, 03 May 2012 13:39:36 +0200, Thorsten wrote:
>
>> Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> writes:
>
>>> That's intended and the reason is that you probably know your own first
>>> and last name, and thus some other display is more useful for own
>>> articles.
>
>> I don't really understand why anybody would want this.
>
> When shown in a group of only emails from a single mailinglist, it
> doesn't add much, agreed. But in, say, a list of emails you have sent,
> it can be nice.
>
>> Is it only me who sees that sender string, or everybody else too?
>
> It is only you who sees it that way, in Gnus, because you know your
> name. Everybody else sees your name.
>
> I.e. in my Summary buffer I see:
>
>   OA+        [  34: Thorsten Jolitz        ]
>   O +            [  20: => gmane.emacs.gnus.use]
>
> While you would see something like:
>
>   OA+        [  34: => gmane.emacs.gnus.use]
>   O +            [  20: Adam Sjøgren           ]
>
> The point is that in my nnml+archive:news-2012 I see a list like this:
>
>   O. [  17: => gmane.emacs.gnus.gen] Re: I can haz cloud idea
>   O. [  24: => gmane.discuss       ] Re: Expiring Gwene groups?
>
> Which is nicer than a long list of just [  n: Adam Sjøgren     ] all
> the way down.

Ok, I begin to understand the rationale. Then it makes sense, and I
    might well go back to the original configuration. I thought
    everybody else would see => gmane.emacs.gnus.use too, and thus
    ignore the message due to its anonimity.

>> Isn't it much more informative to associate messages with sender
>> names?
>
> Yes, but you presumably know your own name quite well, so the space is
> used for something more informative _in Gnus' display_ [only].
>
>                                  o o o
>
> This often pops up as a question quite often, so I do begin to wonder if
> the default should be that this functionality be turned off.

I can confirm that it is very confusing for the non-initiated, but on
  the other hand seems to be well thought out (once initiation
  happened).

Thanks for your answer.

--

@ 2012-05-03 14:39         ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2012-05-03 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@googlemail.com> writes:

>> Hm, then it's not `fill-prefix' fault...
>>
>> What's the value of `auto-fill-function'?
>
> ,------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> | auto-fill-function is a variable defined in `C source code'.
> | Its value is message-do-auto-fill
> | Local in buffer *unsent followup to Tassilo Horn on gmane.emacs.gnus.user*; global value is nil
> `------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> message-do-auto-fill doesn't sound wrong to me, since I do want
>                      auto-fill , but without this strange indentation of
>                      random levels, it seems, since in this message, it
>                      is twice as deep as before.

No, that's the same value I also have, and for me it doesn't fill that
strangely.  Sorry, I'm running out of ideas...

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: '=> gmane.emacs.help' as sender?
@ 2012-05-04 10:48           ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2012-05-04 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>>> Hm, then it's not `fill-prefix' fault...
>>>
>>> What's the value of `auto-fill-function'?
>>
>> ,------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> | auto-fill-function is a variable defined in `C source code'.
>> | Its value is message-do-auto-fill
>> | Local in buffer *unsent followup to Tassilo Horn on gmane.emacs.gnus.user*; global value is nil
>> `------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> message-do-auto-fill doesn't sound wrong to me, since I do want
>>                      auto-fill , but without this strange indentation of
>>                      random levels, it seems, since in this message, it
>>                      is twice as deep as before.
>
> No, that's the same value I also have, and for me it doesn't fill that
> strangely.  Sorry, I'm running out of ideas...

Thanks anyway for your help, it might be a problem somehow related to
       orgstruct++, maybe Bastien can fix it. (As you can see - the
       problem is still there).

--

@ 2012-05-06 14:19             ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2012-05-06 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@googlemail.com> writes:

> Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> writes:
>
>> Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@googlemail.com> writes:

Hi List, Hi Bastien,

>>> ,------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> `------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>> message-do-auto-fill doesn't sound wrong to me, since I do want
>>>                      auto-fill , but without this strange indentation of
>>>                      random levels, it seems, since in this message, it
>>>                      is twice as deep as before.
>>
>> No, that's the same value I also have, and for me it doesn't fill that
>> strangely.  Sorry, I'm running out of ideas...
>
> Thanks anyway for your help, it might be a problem somehow related to
>        orgstruct++, maybe Bastien can fix it. (As you can see - the
>        problem is still there).

I just pulled a fresh org-mode from the git-repo

,-----------------------------------------
| Head:     c2aac5f org-element: Add tests
`-----------------------------------------

and write this post as
a test if message-mode and orgstruct++ work well together now, without
error messages and strange indentation - and while writing, autofill
works correctly, but filling a written paragraph doesn't work:

when hitting M-q to fill a paragraph I get the following error (and
nothing happens:

let: Wrong number of arguments: #[(arg) "Â.ÃÄ	\")‡" [filladapt-inside-filladapt arg t filladapt-fill-paragraph fill-paragraph] 3 ("/home/tj/gitclone/emacs24-starter-kit/src/el-get/emacs-goodies-el/elisp/emacs-goodies-el/filladapt.elc" . 10607) "*P"], 0

C-h k 'M-q' gives:
,----------------------------------------------------------------
| M-q runs the command orgstruct-hijacker-command-22, which is an
| interactive Lisp function.
`----------------------------------------------------------------

checking more orgstruct++ functionality:

test tree/list:
,---------------------
| **** 2nd
| **** newest
| ***** TODO
| lfjaslöjf sjfasklöjf
| afjöaljf lfjaslökfj
| jaslfjfaslfjaj
| ****** hello item
|
| - lst 1
| - lst 2
| - lst 3
`---------------------

M-up        Move entry/item up  # works, but moves item below signature
(see below)
M-down	    Move entry/item down  # works, but ...
M-left	    Promote   # works (on tree and all subtrees simultaneously)
M-right	    Demote    # works (on tree and all subtrees simultaneously)
M-S-up	    Move entry/item up  # error
M-S-down    Move entry/item down # error:  org-move-subtree-down: Cannot move past superior level or buffer limit
M-S-left    Promote subtree  # works
M-S-right   Demote subtree  # works
M-q	    Fill paragraph and items like in Org-mode  # error, see above
C-c ^	    Sort entries # no errors
C-c -	    Cycle list bullet # works
TAB         Cycle item visibility   # doesn't work
M-RET       Insert new heading/item  # works
S-M-RET     Insert new TODO heading / Checkbox item  # works
C-c C-c     Set tags / toggle checkbox # works

,----------------------------------------------------------------
`----------------------------------------------------------------

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: '=> gmane.emacs.help' as sender?
@ 2012-05-06 21:06               ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-05-06 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten Jolitz; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Hi Thorsten,

Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@googlemail.com> writes:

> I just pulled a fresh org-mode from the git-repo
>
> ,-----------------------------------------
> | Head:     c2aac5f org-element: Add tests
> `-----------------------------------------
>
> and write this post as
> a test if message-mode and orgstruct++ work well together now, without
> error messages and strange indentation - and while writing, autofill
> works correctly, but filling a written paragraph doesn't work:
>
> when hitting M-q to fill a paragraph I get the following error (and
> nothing happens:
>
> let: Wrong number of arguments: #[(arg) "Â.ÃÄ \")‡"
> [filladapt-inside-filladapt arg t filladapt-fill-paragraph fill-paragraph]
> 3
> ("/home/tj/gitclone/emacs24-starter-kit/src/el-get/emacs-goodies-el/elisp/emacs-goodies-el/filladapt.elc"
> . 10607) "*P"], 0

Okay, so you must have

(add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'turn-on-filladapt-mode)

and then

(add-hook 'message-mode-hook 'turn-on-orgstruct++)

Is this right?  In this order?

I don't use filladapt-mode and I see it dates from 1998.
Is is still useful?  What for?

> checking more orgstruct++ functionality:
>
> test tree/list:
> ,---------------------
> | **** 2nd
> | **** newest
> | ***** TODO
> | lfjaslöjf sjfasklöjf
> | afjöaljf lfjaslökfj
> | jaslfjfaslfjaj
> | ****** hello item
> |
> | - lst 1
> | - lst 2
> | - lst 3
> `---------------------
>

> M-up        Move entry/item up  # works, but moves item below signature
> (see below)
> M-down	    Move entry/item down  # works, but ...
> M-left	    Promote   # works (on tree and all subtrees simultaneously)
> M-right	    Demote    # works (on tree and all subtrees simultaneously)
> M-S-up	    Move entry/item up  # error
> M-S-down    Move entry/item down # error:  org-move-subtree-down: Cannot move past superior level or buffer limit
> M-S-left    Promote subtree  # works
> M-S-right   Demote subtree  # works
> M-q	    Fill paragraph and items like in Org-mode  # error, see above
> C-c ^	    Sort entries # no errors
> C-c -	    Cycle list bullet # works
> TAB         Cycle item visibility   # doesn't work
> M-RET       Insert new heading/item  # works
> S-M-RET     Insert new TODO heading / Checkbox item  # works
> C-c C-c     Set tags / toggle checkbox # works

This all works the same in an Org-mode buffer, so apart from M-q things
are well.

Let me know about filladapt-mode -- thanks!

--
 Bastien

* Re: '=> gmane.emacs.help' as sender?
@ 2012-05-06 21:25               ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-05-06 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten Jolitz; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Hi Thorsten,

Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@googlemail.com> writes:

> let: Wrong number of arguments: #[(arg) "Â.ÃÄ \")‡"
> [filladapt-inside-filladapt arg t filladapt-fill-paragraph fill-paragraph]
> 3
> ("/home/tj/gitclone/emacs24-starter-kit/src/el-get/emacs-goodies-el/elisp/emacs-goodies-el/filladapt.elc"
> . 10607) "*P"], 0
>
> C-h k 'M-q' gives:
> ,----------------------------------------------------------------
> | M-q runs the command orgstruct-hijacker-command-22, which is an
> | interactive Lisp function.
> `----------------------------------------------------------------

Can you test this small patch and report?

[-- Attachment #2: fix-org-indent-line-function2.patch --]

diff --git a/lisp/org.el b/lisp/org.el
index e7c42db..7574ae5 100644
--- a/lisp/org.el
+++ b/lisp/org.el
@@ -8545,7 +8545,7 @@ Possible values in the list of contexts are `table', `headline', and `item'."
 		       (list x)
 		     (list (car x) (list 'quote (cdr x)))))
 	     (if (string-match
-		  "^\\(org-\\|orgtbl-\\|outline-\\|comment-\\|paragraph-\\|auto-fill\\|fill-paragraph\\|adaptive-fill\\|indent-\\)"
+		  "^\\(org-\\|orgtbl-\\|outline-\\|comment-\\|paragraph-\\|auto-fill\\|fill\\|adaptive-fill\\|indent-\\)"
 		  (symbol-name (car x)))
 		 x nil))
 	   varlist))))

 Bastien

* Re: '=> gmane.emacs.help' as sender?
@ 2012-05-06 22:24                 ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2012-05-06 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

Hi Bastien,

>> when hitting M-q to fill a paragraph I get the following error (and
>> nothing happens:
>>
>> let: Wrong number of arguments: #[(arg) "Â.ÃÄ \")‡"
>> [filladapt-inside-filladapt arg t filladapt-fill-paragraph fill-paragraph]
>> 3
>> ("/home/tj/gitclone/emacs24-starter-kit/src/el-get/emacs-goodies-el/elisp/emacs-goodies-el/filladapt.elc"
>> . 10607) "*P"], 0
>
> Okay, so you must have
>
> (add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'turn-on-filladapt-mode)
>
> and then
>
> (add-hook 'message-mode-hook 'turn-on-orgstruct++)
>
> Is this right?  In this order?

I don't find any explicit mention of filladapt-mode in my config, and its
not in the text-mode-hook (there is only 'turn-on-auto-fill', and that function
does not seem to call filladapt-mode).

It was installed as part of emacs-goodie-el via el-get.

,-------------------------------------------------------------------------
`-------------------------------------------------------------------------

> I don't use filladapt-mode and I see it dates from 1998.
> Is is still useful?  What for?

I have no idea where this filladapt-mode comes from, and it is not mentioned as active
mode in message-mode or text-mode buffers either (only auto-fill).

--

@ 2012-05-06 23:14                 ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2012-05-06 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

Hi Bastien,

> Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> let: Wrong number of arguments: #[(arg) "Â.ÃÄ \")‡"
>> [filladapt-inside-filladapt arg t filladapt-fill-paragraph fill-paragraph]
>> 3
>> ("/home/tj/gitclone/emacs24-starter-kit/src/el-get/emacs-goodies-el/elisp/emacs-goodies-el/filladapt.elc"
>> . 10607) "*P"], 0
>>
>> C-h k 'M-q' gives:
>> ,----------------------------------------------------------------
>> | M-q runs the command orgstruct-hijacker-command-22, which is an
>> | interactive Lisp function.
>> `----------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Can you test this small patch and report?
>

> diff --git a/lisp/org.el b/lisp/org.el
> index e7c42db..7574ae5 100644
> --- a/lisp/org.el
> +++ b/lisp/org.el
> @@ -8545,7 +8545,7 @@ Possible values in the list of contexts are `table', `headline', and `item'."
>  		       (list x)
>  		     (list (car x) (list 'quote (cdr x)))))
>  	     (if (string-match
> -		  "^\\(org-\\|orgtbl-\\|outline-\\|comment-\\|paragraph-\\|auto-fill\\|fill-paragraph\\|adaptive-fill\\|indent-\\)"
> +		  "^\\(org-\\|orgtbl-\\|outline-\\|comment-\\|paragraph-\\|auto-fill\\|fill\\|adaptive-fill\\|indent-\\)"
>  		  (symbol-name (car x)))
>  		 x nil))
>  	   varlist))))

I have to write some prose to be able to test the indenting and filling,
so I ask a (real) question: I find 'git format-patch' and 'git am' in my
git docs, but I'm not really sure how to apply such a patch the right
way (I just did it by hand now)? Do I save your mail as xy.patch inside the git
repo, cd into the repo and then run 'git am xy.patch'?

Trying M-q on the last paragraph resulted in the same error message
as above. I applied your patch, byte-compiled org.el and reloaded
org-mode before.

--

@ 2012-05-06 23:48                   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-05-06 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten Jolitz; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Hi Thorsten,

Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@googlemail.com> writes:

> I don't find any explicit mention of filladapt-mode in my config, and its
> not in the text-mode-hook (there is only 'turn-on-auto-fill', and that function
> does not seem to call filladapt-mode).
>
> It was installed as part of emacs-goodie-el via el-get.

Er... emacs-goodie-el is crap.  It contains obsolete code or code that
has been integrated to Emacs (e.g. wdired).  filladapt.el replaces core
Emacs functions and I think it's quite outdated.

If you want to keep in control of your config, I recommend not using it.

> I have no idea where this filladapt-mode comes from, and it is not
> mentioned as active mode in message-mode or text-mode buffers either
> (only auto-fill).

I just pushed another fix, which might help at this point.

Thanks,

--
 Bastien

* Re: '=> gmane.emacs.help' as sender?
@ 2012-05-07  0:16                   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-05-07  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten Jolitz; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Hi Thorsten,

Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@googlemail.com> writes:

> I have to write some prose to be able to test the indenting and filling,
> so I ask a (real) question: I find 'git format-patch' and 'git am' in my
> git docs, but I'm not really sure how to apply such a patch the right
> way (I just did it by hand now)? Do I save your mail as xy.patch inside the git
> repo, cd into the repo and then run 'git am xy.patch'?

Let's take this offlist.

> Trying M-q on the last paragraph resulted in the same error message
> as above. I applied your patch, byte-compiled org.el and reloaded
> org-mode before.

And this too -- this is not really a Gnus problem.

--
 Bastien