* Possible to receive from pop3 with movemail asynchronously?
@ 2008-02-27 17:38 Michael Ekstrand
       [not found] ` <mailman.8004.1204145803.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Michael Ekstrand @ 2008-02-27 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I've got Gnus set up to retrieve my mail from a pop3 server using
movemail (from mailutils, for TLS support).  I'm doing this with a pop
mail source and :program.

Is there a way I can have Gnus run the movemail process
asynchronously?  The SSL setup time on my school's server is quite
long, and Emacs is unresponsive while movemail is running.  It'd be
nice to be able to hit 'g' and then go edit some other file while Gnus
gets my mail.

Thanks,
- Michael

--
mouse, n: A device for pointing at the xterm in which you want to type.

* Re: Possible to receive from pop3 with movemail asynchronously?
@ 2008-02-27 20:56 ` Sebastian Tennant
       [not found] ` <mailman.8004.1204145803.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Sebastian Tennant @ 2008-02-27 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Quoth Michael Ekstrand <ekstrand@cs.umn.edu>:
> I've got Gnus set up to retrieve my mail from a pop3 server using
> movemail (from mailutils, for TLS support).  I'm doing this with a pop
> mail source and :program.
>
> Is there a way I can have Gnus run the movemail process
> asynchronously?  The SSL setup time on my school's server is quite
> long, and Emacs is unresponsive while movemail is running.  It'd be
> nice to be able to hit 'g' and then go edit some other file while Gnus
> gets my mail.

Alternatively run fetchmail to collect your pop3 mail and then hitting
gnus only needs to pull the mail in from /var/mail/ which is very, very
fast.

Just a suggestion.  I can't help with running movemail asynchronously.
I doubt it's possible, but I could very easily be wrong.

Sebastian

@ 2008-02-27 23:36   ` anhnmncb
       [not found]     ` <mailman.8009.1204156189.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: anhnmncb @ 2008-02-27 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

But fetchmail could not fetch rss feeds, I subscribed many, so gnus
is very very slow, in gnus's manual, there is a way to fetch mail offline:
  #!/bin/sh
  emacs -batch -l ~/.emacs -f -l ~/.gnus.el gnus-agent-batch >/dev/null
  2>&1
but seems now work for me, don't know why.
I added it to cron, seems nothing happened. Just the same if I directly
run in from command line.
--
Regards,

  anhnmncb
 gpg key: 44A31344

* Re: Possible to receive from pop3 with movemail asynchronously?
@ 2008-02-27 23:49     ` Bastien
       [not found]     ` <mailman.8009.1204156189.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Bastien @ 2008-02-27 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: anhnmncb; +Cc: info-gnus-english

anhnmncb <anhnmncb@gmail.com> writes:

> But fetchmail could not fetch rss feeds, I subscribed many, so gnus
> is very very slow, in gnus's manual, there is a way to fetch mail offline:
>   #!/bin/sh
>   emacs -batch -l ~/.emacs -f -l ~/.gnus.el gnus-agent-batch >/dev/null
>   2>&1

The manual says this:

#!/bin/sh
emacs -batch -l ~/.emacs -l ~/.gnus.el -f gnus-agent-batch >/dev/null 2>&1

(Notice the wrong position of "-f" in what you posted.)

--
Bastien

@ 2008-02-28  1:04       ` anhnmncb
From: anhnmncb @ 2008-02-28  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> The manual says this:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> emacs -batch -l ~/.emacs -l ~/.gnus.el -f gnus-agent-batch >/dev/null 2>&1
>
> (Notice the wrong position of "-f" in what you posted.)
ah...
So it's a typo in gnus' manual.
I'm sure manual[1] says:

[1] http://gnus.org/manual/gnus_232.html#SEC232

--
Regards,

  anhnmncb
 gpg key: 44A31344

* Re: Possible to receive from pop3 with movemail asynchronously?
@ 2008-02-28  1:50         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2008-02-28  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: anhnmncb; +Cc: info-gnus-english

anhnmncb <anhnmncb@gmail.com> writes:

> Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:
>
>> The manual says this:
>>
>> #!/bin/sh
>> emacs -batch -l ~/.emacs -l ~/.gnus.el -f gnus-agent-batch >/dev/null 2>&1
>>
>> (Notice the wrong position of "-f" in what you posted.)
> ah...
> So it's a typo in gnus' manual.
> I'm sure manual[1] says:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> emacs -batch -l ~/.emacs -f -l ~/.gnus.el gnus-agent-batch >/dev/null
> 2>&1
>
> [1] http://gnus.org/manual/gnus_232.html#SEC232

The bottom of this page says:

  This document was generated on October, 20 2003 using texi2html
                                             ^^^^

:)

--
Bastien