* nnmairix doesn't find fancy-expired Mails
@ 2008-01-08 18:54 Sven Bretfeld
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2008-01-08 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hello to all

I have installed nnmairix (version 0.4) today. It's working ok all by
all. But mairix doesn't seem to find emails which have expired
already. I use fancy-expire like this:

(setq nnmail-expiry-target 'nnmail-fancy-expiry-target
       nnmail-fancy-expiry-targets
       '(("to" "debian" "nnml:debian-expired.%Y.%b")
         ("cc" "debian" "nnml:debian-expired.%Y.%b")
         ("from" ".*" "nnml:inbox-expired.%Y.%b")))

(setq nnmail-expiry-wait 31)

(setq gnus-auto-expirable-newsgroups
      "debian-liste\\|inbox")

So, emails expire after 31 days and don't get deleted but are stored in
folders called, for example, ~/Mail/inbox-expired/2007/Sep/.

My .mairixrc includes these folders and reads like this:

base=~/Mail
mformat=mh
database=~/.mairixdb
mh=archive/sent/*
mh=debian-liste
mh=inbox
mh=debian-expired/*
mh=inbox-expired/*
omit=zz_mairix-*

Seems ok to me. But a mairix-search results in only a few recent
messages. I think these are the un-expired messages that match the
search.

What have I done wrong? Of course I want all old messages to be found
by a mairix-search as well.

Thanks for help

Sven

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: nnmairix doesn't find fancy-expired Mails
@ 2008-01-08 21:51 ` Sven Bretfeld
       [not found] ` <mailman.5908.1199833151.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2008-01-08 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Sven Bretfeld <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch> writes:

> Hello to all
>
> base=~/Mail
> mformat=mh
> database=~/.mairixdb
> mh=archive/sent/*
> mh=debian-liste
> mh=inbox
> mh=debian-expired/*
> mh=inbox-expired/*
> omit=zz_mairix-*
>
> Seems ok to me. But a mairix-search results in only a few recent
> messages. I think these are the un-expired messages that match the
> search.

It's definitely a mairix problem and has nothing to do with
nnmairix.el. When I update the database in verbose mode I can see that
only ~/Mail/inbox is updated. I just don't know why. I have already
deleted the mairix-database and created it anew. But with the same
result.

It's the wrong mailgroup, now. But if anyone has a hint, I would be
glad.

Greetings

@ 2008-01-08 22:58 ` David
       [not found] ` <mailman.5908.1199833151.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: David @ 2008-01-08 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Sven Bretfeld <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch> writes:
> So, emails expire after 31 days and don't get deleted but are stored in
> folders called, for example, ~/Mail/inbox-expired/2007/Sep/.
[...]
> mh=inbox-expired/*

Try it with

mh=inbox-expired/*...

From the mairixrc man-page:

"Any entry that ends `...' is recursively scanned to find any Maildir
folders underneath it."

Hope that helps,
-David

@ 2008-01-08 23:30   ` Sven Bretfeld
       [not found]     ` <mailman.5935.1199917165.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2008-01-08 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi David

David <de_bb@arcor.de> writes:

> Try it with
>
> mh=inbox-expired/*...

I've tried it already. I even tried mh=*...

Nothing works. But it takes a little longer for mairix to compile the
database if I put mh=*... into the rc-file. So, I think mairix scans
all the folders. But it seems that it simply doesn't recognize the
files in the other folders to be mails.

@ 2008-01-09 22:19     ` David
       [not found]     ` <mailman.5935.1199917165.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: David @ 2008-01-09 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Sven Bretfeld <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch> writes:
>> Try it with
>>
>> mh=inbox-expired/*...
>
> I've tried it already. I even tried mh=*...
>
> Nothing works. But it takes a little longer for mairix to compile the
> database if I put mh=*... into the rc-file. So, I think mairix scans
> all the folders. But it seems that it simply doesn't recognize the
> files in the other folders to be mails.

I tried it today with a similar setup to the one you posted (i.e. fancy
nnml expiry into folders of the form Year/Month) and it works. Could you
try your setup with a minimal .mairixrc like

base=~/Mail
mformat=mh
database=~/.mairixdb
mh=debian-expired/*...
omit=zz_mairix-*

Delete any existing .mairixdb and run mairix on the command line in
verbose mode (-v) and without the -F or -Q option. It should give you a
pretty detailed analysis of what messages are scanned and how many
tokens were found. You can also dump the database afterwards with "-d"
to stdout.

-David

@ 2008-01-12 14:46       ` Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2008-01-12 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)