* gnus is freezing right after startup
@ 2006-12-24  8:28 William Warren
From: William Warren @ 2006-12-24  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for reading this. I have a problem with gnus freezing right after
  I start it. I get a message that says "Loading gnus-start...done", but
then emacs stops responding. The only Google hit was from 2001, and it
mentioned a file Debian doesn't use, so I'll ask for help from the group.

I use emacs 21.4.1 and gnus 5.9.0 on Debian Sarge.

Here's the .gnus.el file:

(setq user-mail-address "william_warren_nonoise@speakeasy(William\
Warren).net")
(setq user-full-name "William Warren")
(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.speakeasy.net"))
(setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "localhost")

I set the toggle-debug-on-quit option, and bailed out of gnus with Cntl-g.

Here's the debug output:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (quit)
   signal(quit nil)
   byte-code("ÀÁ!ˆÂÃÄ\"ˆÄ‡" [message "Quit retrieving data from nntp"
signal quit nil] 3)
   nntp-send-mode-reader()
   run-hooks(nntp-server-opened-hook)
   nntp-open-connection(#<buffer  *nntpd*>)
   nntp-open-server("news.speakeasy.net" nil)
   gnus-open-server((nntp "news.speakeasy.net"))
   gnus-start-news-server(nil)
   gnus-1(nil nil nil)
   gnus(nil)
* call-interactively(gnus)
   execute-extended-command(nil)
   call-interactively(execute-extended-command)

All suggestions welcome. Thanks for your time

William

--
(Filter noise and remark from my address for off-group replies. No cc:
of group replies needed, thanks.)

* Re: gnus is freezing right after startup
@ 2006-12-24  9:46 ` Slackat
From: Slackat @ 2006-12-24  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

William Warren <""william_warren_nonoise\"@speakeasy(William Warren).net"> writes:

> Thanks for reading this. I have a problem with gnus freezing right
> after I start it. I get a message that says "Loading
> gnus-start...done", but then emacs stops responding. The only Google
> hit was from 2001, and it mentioned a file Debian doesn't use, so I'll
> ask for help from the group.
>
> I use emacs 21.4.1 and gnus 5.9.0 on Debian Sarge.
>
> Here's the .gnus.el file:
>
> (setq user-mail-address "william_warren_nonoise@speakeasy(William\
> Warren).net")
> (setq user-full-name "William Warren")
> (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.speakeasy.net"))
> (setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
> (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
> (setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "localhost")
>

> I set the toggle-debug-on-quit option, and bailed out of gnus with Cntl-g.
>
> Here's the debug output:
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (quit)
>    signal(quit nil)
>    byte-code("ÀÁ!ÂÃÄ\"ć" [message "Quit retrieving data from nntp"
> signal quit nil] 3)
>    nntp-send-mode-reader()
>    run-hooks(nntp-server-opened-hook)
>    nntp-open-connection(#<buffer  *nntpd*>)
>    nntp-open-server("news.speakeasy.net" nil)
>    gnus-open-server((nntp "news.speakeasy.net"))
>    gnus-start-news-server(nil)
>    gnus-1(nil nil nil)
>    gnus(nil)
> * call-interactively(gnus)
>    execute-extended-command(nil)
>    call-interactively(execute-extended-command)
>
> All suggestions welcome. Thanks for your time
>
> William
>
> --
> (Filter noise and remark from my address for off-group replies. No cc:
> of group replies needed, thanks.)

Without wanting to be supercritical, simple tests that can be run on
speakeasy.net indicate that it is a technical disaster

If you own it, seek some help on getting it set up correctly

If you don't own it, dump it as an ISP

--
Slackrat
AKA Bill Henderson

* Re: gnus is freezing right after startup
@ 2006-12-24 15:11 ` Lowell Gilbert
From: Lowell Gilbert @ 2006-12-24 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Warren).net"> writes:

> Thanks for reading this. I have a problem with gnus freezing right
> after I start it. I get a message that says "Loading
> gnus-start...done", but then emacs stops responding. The only Google
> hit was from 2001, and it mentioned a file Debian doesn't use, so I'll
> ask for help from the group.
>
> I use emacs 21.4.1 and gnus 5.9.0 on Debian Sarge.
>
> Here's the .gnus.el file:
>
> (setq user-mail-address "william_warren_nonoise@speakeasy(William\
> Warren).net")
> (setq user-full-name "William Warren")
> (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.speakeasy.net"))
> (setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
> (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
> (setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "localhost")
>

> I set the toggle-debug-on-quit option, and bailed out of gnus with Cntl-g.
>
> Here's the debug output:
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (quit)
>   signal(quit nil)
>   byte-code("ÀÁ!ˆÂÃÄ\"ˆÄ‡" [message "Quit retrieving data from nntp"
> signal quit nil] 3)
>   nntp-send-mode-reader()
>   run-hooks(nntp-server-opened-hook)
>   nntp-open-connection(#<buffer  *nntpd*>)
>   nntp-open-server("news.speakeasy.net" nil)
>   gnus-open-server((nntp "news.speakeasy.net"))
>   gnus-start-news-server(nil)
>   gnus-1(nil nil nil)
>   gnus(nil)
> * call-interactively(gnus)
>   execute-extended-command(nil)
>   call-interactively(execute-extended-command)
>
> All suggestions welcome. Thanks for your time

Hmm.  Strange; it looks like it's actually hanging on the NNTP
negotiations, so it opened the connection successfully and exchanged
the initial handshake.  A little bit of NNTP debugging would be the
next step, if you feel knowledgeable enough about it.  Even if you
don't, capturing the traffic might be informative.

news.speakeasy.net is Giganews, which is one of the more reliable
Usenet servers you could be trying, so at least you shouldn't have to
debug the server itself.  There could be a firewall getting in the
way, but you seem to be getting far enough in setting up the
connection that I consider that unlikely.

* Re: gnus is freezing right after startup
@ 2006-12-24 18:06   ` Slackat
From: Slackat @ 2006-12-24 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lowell Gilbert <lgusenet@be-well.ilk.org> writes:

> William Warren <""william_warren_nonoise\"@speakeasy(William
> Warren).net"> writes:
>
> > Thanks for reading this. I have a problem with gnus freezing right
> > after I start it. I get a message that says "Loading
> > gnus-start...done", but then emacs stops responding. The only Google
> > hit was from 2001, and it mentioned a file Debian doesn't use, so I'll
> > ask for help from the group.
> >
> > I use emacs 21.4.1 and gnus 5.9.0 on Debian Sarge.
> >
> > Here's the .gnus.el file:
> >
> > (setq user-mail-address "william_warren_nonoise@speakeasy(William\
> > Warren).net")
> > (setq user-full-name "William Warren")
> > (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.speakeasy.net"))
> > (setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
> > (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
> > (setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "localhost")
> >

> > I set the toggle-debug-on-quit option, and bailed out of gnus with Cntl-g.
> >
> > Here's the debug output:
> >
> > Debugger entered--Lisp error: (quit)
> >   signal(quit nil)
> >   byte-code("ÀÁ!ˆÂÃÄ\"ˆÄ‡" [message "Quit retrieving data from nntp"
> > signal quit nil] 3)
> >   nntp-send-mode-reader()
> >   run-hooks(nntp-server-opened-hook)
> >   nntp-open-connection(#<buffer  *nntpd*>)
> >   nntp-open-server("news.speakeasy.net" nil)
> >   gnus-open-server((nntp "news.speakeasy.net"))
> >   gnus-start-news-server(nil)
> >   gnus-1(nil nil nil)
> >   gnus(nil)
> > * call-interactively(gnus)
> >   execute-extended-command(nil)
> >   call-interactively(execute-extended-command)
> >
> > All suggestions welcome. Thanks for your time
>
> Hmm.  Strange; it looks like it's actually hanging on the NNTP
> negotiations, so it opened the connection successfully and exchanged
> the initial handshake.  A little bit of NNTP debugging would be the
> next step, if you feel knowledgeable enough about it.  Even if you
> don't, capturing the traffic might be informative.
>
> news.speakeasy.net is Giganews, which is one of the more reliable
> Usenet servers you could be trying, so at least you shouldn't have to
> debug the server itself.  There could be a firewall getting in the
> way, but you seem to be getting far enough in setting up the
> connection that I consider that unlikely.

I checked giganews previously and again just now and there is no
problem there

telnet news.speakeasy.net
Trying 216.196.97.145...
Connected to news.speakeasy.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
200 News.GigaNews.Com

It just seems that he isn't getting through for some reason

I wonder if reviewing the gnus/emacs message buffer might help him?
F10 b m

--
Slackrat
AKA Bill Henderson

* Re: gnus is freezing right after startup
@ 2006-12-24 18:35   ` William Warren
From: William Warren @ 2006-12-24 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Slackat wrote:

> Without wanting to be supercritical, simple tests that can be run on
> speakeasy.net indicate that it is a technical disaster
>
> If you own it, seek some help on getting it set up correctly
>
> If you don't own it, dump it as an ISP

I disagree: I've had excellent service from Speakeasy. They have a "bits
are bits" attitude, allow me to run my own servers, and are the best
I've ever dealt with for customer service.

I'm not affiliated, have no connection, etc. Just a satisfied customer.

William

* Re: gnus is freezing right after startup
@ 2006-12-24 19:25     ` Slackat
From: Slackat @ 2006-12-24 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

William Warren <""william_warren_nonoise\"@speakeasy(William Warren).net"> writes:

> Slackat wrote:
>
> > Without wanting to be supercritical, simple tests that can be run on
> > speakeasy.net indicate that it is a technical disaster
> > If you own it, seek some help on getting it set up correctly
> > If you don't own it, dump it as an ISP
>
> I disagree: I've had excellent service from Speakeasy. They have a
> "bits are bits" attitude, allow me to run my own servers, and are the
> best I've ever dealt with for customer service.
>
> I'm not affiliated, have no connection, etc. Just a satisfied customer.
>
> William

No problemo

I dunno if this will help you or not, but it seems to me that your
UseNet NewsServer requires you specifically to log on

It's just possdible that you may not be authenticating properly

Admittedly the following is a Wondoze blurb, but note the section
where the server is input where it shows the ''Login'' box checked

http://www.speakeasy.net/support/other/OENews.php

--
Slackrat
AKA Bill Henderson
[No _4Q2_ for direct email]
emacs/gnus config [http://azurservers.com/gnus]
-
http://costofwar.com/ - Merry Christmas
-
Given the fact that the senior Bush?s most significant contribution
to the world is George W. Bush, sobbing is quite appropriate!

* Re: gnus is freezing right after startup
@ 2006-12-24 19:29     ` William Warren
From: William Warren @ 2006-12-24 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Slackat wrote:
> Lowell Gilbert <lgusenet@be-well.ilk.org> writes:
>
>> William Warren <""william_warren_nonoise\"@speakeasy(William
>> Warren).net"> writes:
>>
>>> Thanks for reading this. I have a problem with gnus freezing right
>>> after I start it. I get a message that says "Loading
>>> gnus-start...done", but then emacs stops responding. [snip]
>
> I wonder if reviewing the gnus/emacs message buffer might help him?
> F10 b m

I started emacs with the --no-site-file and no-init-file options, set
NNTPSERVER with a setenv command inside emacs, and then started gnus.

This time, it gave this error:

	NNTP (news) open error: ''. Continue? (y or n)

I answered "y", and got a message saying that

	Gnus auto-save file exists. Do you want to read it? (y or n)

I answered "y", and got a message "Checking new news", and then was in
the Group buffer, with a message saying "No more unread messages". I was
able to subscribe to a newgroup, but when I tried to open it, I get an
error that says:

	Couldn't open server.

I entered F10 b m, and got this report:

	(emacs -q --no-site-file)
	For information about the GNU Project and its goals, type C-h C-p.
	Debug on Quit enabled
	 [2 times]
	Wrote /home/bill/.newsrc-dribble

	Reading /home/bill/.newsrc.eld...
	Opening nntp server on news...
	Denied server

	Opening nntp server on news...
	Denied server

	Checking new news...
	Opening nndraft server...

	Checking new news...done
	Retrieving newsgroup: gnu.emacs.gnus...
	Opening nntp server on news...
	Denied server

	gnus-select-newsgroup: Couldn't open server

After that, I changed the .authinfo file to use a different login ID,
but gnus just stalled at the "Loading gnus-start...done" point again.
When I restored the .authinfo file to it's original state, gnus _still_
stalled at the "Loading gnus-start...done" point, but emacs didn't hang
this time: I could kill the gnus buffer with Cntl-x k.

All suggestions welcome, and thanks again for your help.

William

* Re: gnus is freezing right after startup
@ 2006-12-24 19:50       ` Slackat
From: Slackat @ 2006-12-24 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

William Warren <""william_warren_nonoise\"@speakeasy(William Warren).net"> writes:

> I entered F10 b m, and got this report:
>
> 	(emacs -q --no-site-file)
> 	For information about the GNU Project and its goals, type C-h C-p.
> 	Debug on Quit enabled
> 	 [2 times]
> 	Wrote /home/bill/.newsrc-dribble
>
> 	Reading /home/bill/.newsrc.eld...
> 	Opening nntp server on news...
> 	Denied server

> After that, I changed the .authinfo file to use a different login ID,
> but gnus just stalled at the "Loading gnus-start...done" point
> again. When I restored the .authinfo file to it's original state, gnus
> _still_ stalled at the "Loading gnus-start...done" point, but emacs
> didn't hang this time: I could kill the gnus buffer with Cntl-x k.
>
> All suggestions welcome, and thanks again for your help.

Did you review the specific nntp server login requirement as per my
message a few minutes ago?

[QUOTE]
Step 5:
Enter your full Speakeasy email address for Account Name.

Enter your news password.

Your news password is separate from your email/MySpeakeasy password,
though they can be set to the same password if you wish. You can reset
your news password via MySpeakeasy (Manage/Add Services > Manage
Email/Passwords > Change News Password.)
[END-QUOTE

--
Slackrat
AKA Bill Henderson
[No _4Q2_ for direct email]
emacs/gnus config [http://azurservers.com/gnus]
-
http://costofwar.com/ - Merry Christmas
-
Like most western news sources, the BBC seems completely ignorant of
the abuse women and minorities suffer under Sharia laws the world
over. Women are beaten, raped, murdered, mutilated and oppressed by
Muslim "culture" and English law should never turn its back on these
vulnerable members of their society. this would be a travesty and a
direct refutation of western morals that posit that all people are
created equal and stand the same in the eyes of the law

* Re: gnus is freezing right after startup
@ 2006-12-24 21:04         ` William Warren
From: William Warren @ 2006-12-24 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Slackat wrote:

> Did you review the specific nntp server login requirement as per my
> message a few minutes ago?
>
> [QUOTE]
> Step 5:
> Enter your full Speakeasy email address for Account Name.
>
> Enter your news password.
>
> Your news password is separate from your email/MySpeakeasy password,
> though they can be set to the same password if you wish. You can reset
> your news password via MySpeakeasy (Manage/Add Services > Manage
> Email/Passwords > Change News Password.)
> [END-QUOTE

Thanks, that cured it.

I was using what I thought was the same NNTP user id & password as in
Thunderbird on the Windoze box, but I went out to Speakeasy and reset it
to be sure. Thunderbird gave an auth failure on Usenet access, so you
were right. I could have sworn I had set it to the "email" password.

For those doing Google searches in the future:

keywords: solution fixed repaired gnus emacs stalls stalled freeze
freezes "Loading gnus-start...done"

I appreciate your help. I would have replied in Gnus, but your post
didn't show up in the thread for some reason.

William

* Re: gnus is freezing right after startup
@ 2006-12-24 21:28           ` Slackat
From: Slackat @ 2006-12-24 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

William Warren <""william_warren_nonoise\"@speakeasy(William Warren).net"> writes:

> Thanks, that cured it.

No problemo

> I appreciate your help. I would have replied in Gnus, but your post
> didn't show up in the thread for some reason.

Posts can sometimes take a while to propagate around the news servers

Occasionally they never do

--
Slackrat
AKA Bill Henderson
[No _4Q2_ for direct email]
emacs/gnus config [http://azurservers.com/gnus]
-
http://costofwar.com/ - Merry Christmas
-
New Orleans police lined up "like at a firing range" and fatally shot
an unarmed man in the back as he fled from them in the days after
Hurricane Katrina swept ashore, a witness to the shooting told CNN.