* how is gnus sending emails?
@ 2006-05-09 13:32 Hadron Quark
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-05-09 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

I use fetchmail and procmail to populate an nnmaildir setup for gnus :
can send and receive emails fine.

The question I have is : how is Gnus sending emails? I dont have any
smtp stuff setup in my .gnus.el or my .emacs that I can see.

How can I tell what configuration it is accessing to send via an
"unknown to me" smtp server? I have multiple emails accounts for home,
recreation and work and like to use the correct smtp for sending.

* Re: how is gnus sending emails?
@ 2006-05-09 15:54 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-05-09 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, May 09 2006, Hadron Quark wrote:

> The question I have is : how is Gnus sending emails? I dont have any
> smtp stuff setup in my .gnus.el or my .emacs that I can see.
>
> How can I tell what configuration it is accessing to send via an
> "unknown to me" smtp server?

<f1> v message-send-mail-function RET

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: how is gnus sending emails?
@ 2006-05-09 15:59 ` Burton Samograd
From: Burton Samograd @ 2006-05-09 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hadron Quark <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:

> I use fetchmail and procmail to populate an nnmaildir setup for gnus :
> can send and receive emails fine.
>
> The question I have is : how is Gnus sending emails? I dont have any
> smtp stuff setup in my .gnus.el or my .emacs that I can see.
>
> How can I tell what configuration it is accessing to send via an
> "unknown to me" smtp server? I have multiple emails accounts for home,
> recreation and work and like to use the correct smtp for sending.

It is (probably) using your local smtp server and using sendmail (I
think that would be the sane default) for sending if you have a local
mail server running.  Check the smtpmail.el package for ways to use an
emacs package that sends smtp mail to a specific server.

--
burton samograd					kruhft .at. gmail
kruhft.blogspot.com	www.myspace.com/kruhft	metashell.blogspot.com

* Re: how is gnus sending emails?
@ 2006-05-09 16:04   ` Hadron Quark
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-05-09 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Burton Samograd <kruhftREMOVE@gmail.com> writes:

> Hadron Quark <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I use fetchmail and procmail to populate an nnmaildir setup for gnus :
>> can send and receive emails fine.
>>
>> The question I have is : how is Gnus sending emails? I dont have any
>> smtp stuff setup in my .gnus.el or my .emacs that I can see.
>>
>> How can I tell what configuration it is accessing to send via an
>> "unknown to me" smtp server? I have multiple emails accounts for home,
>> recreation and work and like to use the correct smtp for sending.
>
> It is (probably) using your local smtp server and using sendmail (I
> think that would be the sane default) for sending if you have a local

I dont have sendmail installed. Or "vm" which is "smtpmail" isnt it?