* gnus got lazy all of a sudden.
@ 2006-05-02  3:35 Fredrik Bulow
From: Fredrik Bulow @ 2006-05-02  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

I've been using GNUS for about two weeks to read my mail, new and
favourite RSS feeds.

When I start GNUS, it used to check for new mail, news and RSS and
display the number of new messages next to the group. One day it
ceased to do this for news, it still fetches mail and rss like it
should, but if I want to check for new news I must go to the
group. Instead of seeing the number of new messages next to news
groups, I see an '*'. After visiting and exiting the group this as
been replaced by the number for new messages.

The 'g' key in the *Groups* buffer also ignores news but gets rss and
mail.

Here is my current .gnus file.

,----

`----

I am grateful for all help

/Fredrik

* Re: gnus got lazy all of a sudden.
@ 2006-05-02  7:00 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2006-05-02  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Fredrik Bulow <kaliumfredrik@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi!
>
> I've been using GNUS for about two weeks to read my mail, new and
> favourite RSS feeds.
>
> When I start GNUS, it used to check for new mail, news and RSS and
> display the number of new messages next to the group. One day it
> ceased to do this for news, it still fetches mail and rss like it
> should, but if I want to check for new news I must go to the
> group. Instead of seeing the number of new messages next to news
> groups, I see an '*'. After visiting and exiting the group this as
> been replaced by the number for new messages.
>
> The 'g' key in the *Groups* buffer also ignores news but gets rss and
> mail.
>
> Here is my current .gnus file.

I've noticed the same behavior after my ISP changed their news server.
I've found only two solutions to date - I also posted to this group,
but didn't get any response.

solution 1. If I subscribe to my ISP news servers groups as if they
were foreign groups, everything works fine. When I start gnus or hit
g, gnus checks for new articles and displays the number in the groups
listing buffer. Likewise, if I define a secondary select method, I can
subscribe to the groups and they show up as foreign groups and all
works fine.

solution 2. If I use l to list all groups and then use M-g when on a
native group, it will tell me how many available messages are there.

I have varified my group levels are all OK (everything is pretty much
at defaults). This problem didn't occur until after my ISP switched to
a new news server and now takes a full feed from somewhere like
supernova or supergroups or something similar in the states. After
they changed news servers, I totally reconfigured things and made sure
I had removed old article number caches etc, just in case new article
numbers caused problems etc.

I also found that when setting up the system again, the new group
listings and subscription methods outlined in the manual didn't work
as advertised.

I wonder if TPG has changed their news server or done something
similar?

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: gnus got lazy all of a sudden.
@ 2006-05-03  3:14   ` Fredrik Bulow
From: Fredrik Bulow @ 2006-05-03  3:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null> writes:

> solution 1. If I subscribe to my ISP news servers groups as if they
> were foreign groups, everything works fine. When I start gnus or hit
> g, gnus checks for new articles and displays the number in the groups
> listing buffer. Likewise, if I define a secondary select method, I can
> subscribe to the groups and they show up as foreign groups and all
> works fine.
>
> solution 2. If I use l to list all groups and then use M-g when on a
> native group, it will tell me how many available messages are there.
>
> I have varified my group levels are all OK (everything is pretty much
> at defaults). This problem didn't occur until after my ISP switched to
> a new news server and now takes a full feed from somewhere like
> supernova or supergroups or something similar in the states. After
> they changed news servers, I totally reconfigured things and made sure
> I had removed old article number caches etc, just in case new article
> numbers caused problems etc.
>
> I also found that when setting up the system again, the new group
> listings and subscription methods outlined in the manual didn't work
> as advertised.
>
> I wonder if TPG has changed their news server or done something
> similar?
>
> Tim
>

> --
> tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

Thanks for your help!

M-g works for me. As a quick fix I might just make a macro or a lisp
function that checks all groups with this method and bind it to G.

I'm changing ISP soon anyway so if the problem is related to their
server having changed something, then perhaps the problem will fix
itself when I leave them *wishful thinking*.

@ 2006-05-03 10:17     ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2006-05-03 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Fredrik Bulow <kaliumfredrik@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks for your help!

glad it was useful.

> M-g works for me. As a quick fix I might just make a macro or a lisp
> function that checks all groups with this method and bind it to G.

Alternatively, setup your news server as a secondary method and groups
are subscribed as foreign groups - this seems to work. You may then
want to change the display pattern so that only the group is shown
and not the rest of the info about method and server etc.

> I'm changing ISP soon anyway so if the problem is related to their
> server having changed something, then perhaps the problem will fix
> itself when I leave them *wishful thinking*.

I use to be with TPG as well, but didn't like them much. Until my
current ISP (internode) changed servers, I was very happy - I guess
with the exception of the news server, I'm still pretty happy with
them.

Something I forgot to mention is that I found things worked fin using
other news readers like tin - only gnus seems to have problems.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au