* Re: gnus config files
@ 2005-07-26 12:29 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2005-07-26 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 26 Jul 2005 22:36:17 +1000, Baloff wrote:

> I created this .newsrc which I put in it the groups I want to
> subscribe to, could some one tell me if I am doing wrong here.
> here is my file
> (setq gnus-default-subscribed-newsgroups '(sci.math gnu.emacs.help
> gnu.gcc.help gnu.emacs.gnus)

> when I
> M-x gnus
> doesn't suppose to open a frame and in it I find those groups and then
> I go to any of them, I just came from Mozilla mail/news reader and
> M$out-look and without your help I am lost.

No, you are not. You've got the fine manual. I recommend you check out
at least the first section "Starting Gnus":
 <http://www.gnus.org/manual/gnus_toc.html>

It is *much* easier for us to help you, if you try reading some of the
manual first.

(I subscribe to groups by going to the Server-buffer '^', entering the
server and subscribing to the groups I want to read 'u'.)

[...]

> this is my first post ever with emacs/gnus, how can I change the
> name/email address and personal info,

By reading the manual; here for instance:
 <http://www.gnus.org/manual/gnus_139.html#SEC139>

> I even don't know if I can get my emails with this thing, can some
> one tell me how.

Sure you can, here is how:
 <http://www.gnus.org/manual/gnus_158.html#SEC158>

  Best regards,

--
 "Lawrence of Suburbia                                        Adam Sjøgren
  Real life is murder"                                   asjo@koldfront.dk

* gnus config files
@ 2005-07-26 12:36 Baloff
From: Baloff @ 2005-07-26 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

I created this .newsrc which I put in it the groups I want to
subscribe to, could some one tell me if I am doing wrong here.
here is my file
(setq gnus-default-subscribed-newsgroups '(sci.math gnu.emacs.help
gnu.gcc.help gnu.emacs.gnus)

when I
M-x gnus
doesn't suppose to open a frame and in it I find those groups and then
I go to any of them, I just came from Mozilla mail/news reader and
M$out-look and without your help I am lost.

here is my .gnus as well
;;C-h i m gnus for more info about this file
(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.iprimus.com.au"))
(setq gnus-select-server nil) ;should be nil be default but just in case
(setq gnus-nov-is-evil nil) ;quicken grabbing article headers
(setq guns-read-active-file nil) ;prevent requestion the entire active file
(setq gnus-check-bogus-newsgroups nil)
(setq gnus-treat-hide-headers 'head ;cut down the header to minimum
      gnus-treat-hide-signature t
      gnus-treat-hide-citation t)

this is my first post ever with emacs/gnus, how can I change the
name/email address and personal info, I even don't know if I can get
my emails with this thing, can some one tell me how.

thanks

* Re: gnus config files
@ 2005-07-26 12:44 ` Juhapekka Tolvanen
From: Juhapekka Tolvanen @ 2005-07-26 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Baloff <washdc@wash.edu> writes:

> I created this .newsrc which I put in it the groups I want to
> subscribe to, could some one tell me if I am doing wrong here.

I think you are not supposed to write anything to your ~/.newsrc at all.
Gnus writes it itself.

> here is my .gnus as well

Write those things to ~/.gnus.el instead.

--
Juhapekka "naula" Tolvanen * http colon slash slash iki dot fi slash juhtolv
"Katkeemaan ei sitä mitenkään saa. Turhempaa ei oo olemassakaan. Huomaa vaan