* Help with quoting
@ 2005-02-11  9:30 Thompa
From: Thompa @ 2005-02-11  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

A (very) long time ago I used to use Gnus/Emacs for newsreading
(+10 years) and now I've forgot all (almost) about it. I remember
using som fancy quoting mechanism called supersite or something similar
but I don't remebre how it worked. Anyone who can tell me how it works?
Is it in Gnus/Emacs by default nowadays?

Cheers,

/Thompa

* Re: Help with quoting
@ 2005-02-11 15:26 ` David Z Maze
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: David Z Maze @ 2005-02-11 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thompa <Thompa@hotmail.com> writes:

> A (very) long time ago I used to use Gnus/Emacs for newsreading
> (+10 years) and now I've forgot all (almost) about it. I remember
> using som fancy quoting mechanism called supersite or something similar
> but I don't remebre how it worked. Anyone who can tell me how it works?

SuperCite?  There's some mention of it in the various manuals; the
usual use of it seems to be to include people's initials in the
quoting.

> Is it in Gnus/Emacs by default nowadays?

I think it ships with both Emacsen, in sc.el.

For a while a couple of years ago it seemed like everyone was using
it, but it's mostly faded.  It didn't do the specific thing I wanted
it to do (indent nested quotes *and* cite by name); it was also
annoying to deal quoting people who quoted messages not using
supercite, and supercite exacerbated the problem of screwing up
citations (now not only do you have the wrong "Foo writes:" citation
line but you've put the wrong initials in front of everything Bar
wrote).  Then SuperCite seems to have faded, and the world seems to be
a slightly better place for it.

There are still alternate citation packages, and the one I've seen the
most mention of is trivial-cite.  I'm not entirely clear what it gets
you, though.

The current trendy "I use Gnus so my mail looks special" frob is the
header.  Personally, I only use it for Usenet postings and mail to the
ding list, but I think most people don't actually pay attention to the
headers or the extra ~1K of message length (if they did, they wouldn't
use Exchange/Outlook).

  --dzm

* Re: Help with quoting
@ 2005-02-11 16:49   ` Thompa
From: Thompa @ 2005-02-11 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Z Maze <dmaze@mit.edu> writes:

> Thompa <Thompa@hotmail.com> writes:

> SuperCite?

So it is spelled... English is not my native language so
you have to forgive me sometimes...

> There's some mention of it in the various manuals; the
> usual use of it seems to be to include people's initials in the
> quoting.

That's exactly what I was looking for.

> > Is it in Gnus/Emacs by default nowadays?
>
> I think it ships with both Emacsen, in sc.el.

In Emacs 21.3 version of supercite.el I find this line:

;; Last Modified: 1993/09/22 18:58:46

Looks like it went sleepy about the time I started to use other
tools... ;-)

> For a while a couple of years ago it seemed like everyone was using
> it, but it's mostly faded.

Too bad. I kinda liked it... Even wrote some extra stuff for it.

>   --dzm

/Thompa

* Re: Help with quoting
@ 2005-02-11 17:11   ` Thompa
From: Thompa @ 2005-02-11 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

    David> SuperCite?  There's some mention of it in the various
    David> manuals; the usual use of it seems to be to include people's
    David> initials in the quoting.

    >> Is it in Gnus/Emacs by default nowadays?

    David> I think it ships with both Emacsen, in sc.el.

You're right. And I figured out how to start it! Wow, there some brain
left to do real work... Beware out there I've found an old toy to play
with ;-)

Put these lines in your .emacs

(autoload 'sc-cite-original     "supercite" "Supercite 3.1" t)
(add-hook 'mail-citation-hook 'sc-cite-original)

and it will ask for a name or initials when you hit C-c C-y

/Thompa

* Re: Help with quoting
@ 2005-02-11 23:44 ` Sarir Khamsi
From: Sarir Khamsi @ 2005-02-11 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thompa <Thompa@hotmail.com> writes:

> A (very) long time ago I used to use Gnus/Emacs for newsreading
> (+10 years) and now I've forgot all (almost) about it. I remember
> using som fancy quoting mechanism called supersite or something similar
> but I don't remebre how it worked. Anyone who can tell me how it works?
> Is it in Gnus/Emacs by default nowadays?

I used to use supersite also, but have stopped for the possible reason
that it's not needed any more (unless I've got something in my .emacs
that I couldn't find with a search).

Are you having problems with quoting?

Sarir

* Re: Help with quoting
@ 2005-02-22 21:33   ` Nix
From: Nix @ 2005-02-22 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005, David Z. Maze announced authoritatively:
> There are still alternate citation packages, and the one I've seen the
> most mention of is trivial-cite.  I'm not entirely clear what it gets
> you, though.

A few things:

- auto-identifiations of different quoting styles and appropriate
  reversible auto-filling of them
- reversible killing of sigs
- unification of distinct sets of citation marks (i.e. quoting
  when multiple SuperCite users have been at the post ;) )
- a generalized framework for acquiring data from the headers
  to later stuff into the attribution line
- a framework for providing different attributions for different
  groups

and of course

- the ability to call a function to generate attributions

There may be stuff I missed in that quick pass through the code, but I
think that should be enough. :)

--
> ...Hires Root Beer...
What we need these days is a stable, fast, anti-aliased root beer
with dynamic shading. Not that you can let just anybody have root.
 --- John M. Ford