Hi. Recently Gnus stopped picking up my modified smilies in ~/elisp/gnus/etc/smilies/ and started using the default xemacs-ones. After some fiddling around, I discovered that `smiley-data-directory' was being set to "/usr/share/xemacs21/xemacs-packages/etc/smilies/" instead of the expected "/home/asjo/elisp/gnus/etc/smilies/". This occurred because I updated the xemacs21-basesupport-package (Debian) that contains the ..../xemacs-packages/etc/smilies/ directory - and the setting of `smiley-data-directory' is done with the function `nnheader-find-etc-directory' which finds the _newest_ etc-directory. Does taking the newest directory instead of the first (in the `load-path') make sense here? Confused the hell out of me at least :-) Best regards, Adam -- "Mr. Cotton's... parrot. Same question." Adam Sjøgren asjo@koldfront.dk