* GNUs developer newsgroup
@ 2016-01-27 22:19 Pietro
From: Pietro @ 2016-01-27 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi everybody,

I can see several gmane.[..] newsgroup related to GNUs, is there a
specific one for development activities ?

Thanks,
Pietro

* Re: GNUs developer newsgroup
@ 2016-01-28 14:53 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2016-01-28 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Pietro writes:

> I can see several gmane.[..] newsgroup related to GNUs, is there a
> specific one for development activities ?

That would be:

  Group         gmane.emacs.gnus.general
  Description   Development list for Gnus, the Emacs newsreader

   - http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general

Which corresponds to the ding list, which is the Gnus development
mailing list.

(If the group had been created now, it would have been called
...gnus.devel, but the naming conventions were still being settled in
the beginning of Gmane).

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Okay, så håll käften och ta ner händerna, det är bra"       Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: GNUs developer newsgroup
@ 2016-01-28 14:54 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2016-01-28 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

P.S. It is called "Gnus", not "GNUs", nor "GNUS".

  :-)

   /A

--
 "I'm only civil because I don't know any swear words."       Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: GNUs developer newsgroup
@ 2016-01-29  3:04   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2016-01-29  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> P.S. It is called "Gnus", not "GNUs", nor "GNUS".

Something was called "GNUS" sometimes, because that is
still in some docstrings.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: GNUs developer newsgroup
@ 2016-01-29 14:48     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2016-01-29 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Emanuel writes:

> asjo@koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) writes:
>
>> P.S. It is called "Gnus", not "GNUs", nor "GNUS".
>
> Something was called "GNUS" sometimes, because that is
> still in some docstrings.

The manual explains this in the History section:

  "GNUS was written by Masanobu UMEDA. When autumn crept up in ’94, Lars
   Magne Ingebrigtsen grew bored and decided to rewrite Gnus."

    - http://gnus.org/manual/gnus_134.html#History (for the rest)

If the 94 spelling is still found in docstrings, they should be updated.
I can't find any, though.

(Surprising that some of the grammar-, punctuation-, and language-police
 of Emacs haven't been all over that yet.)

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "I came from a household that showed as much                 Adam Sjøgren
  knowledge or interest in sport as hedgehogs show in    asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: GNUs developer newsgroup
@ 2016-01-29 20:28       ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2016-01-29 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> (Surprising that some of the grammar-, punctuation-,
> and language-police of Emacs haven't been all over
> that yet.)

Here are the interesting cases of "GNUS". Some which
refer to the old GNUS are not incorrect, but are
perhaps outdated anyway.

One example of a docstring is `ispell-message' in

    /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/textmodes/ispell.el

which mentions "GNUS 5" and "GNUS 4".

This is the way I did it with zsh (note: **/* works
differently in bash).

    $ cd /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp  # the Emacs source directory
    $ sudo gunzip **/*.gz            # get the .el files out of compressed source
    $ grep GNUS **/*.el              # grep is case-sensitive

dabbrev.el:;; Example for GNUS (when we write a reply, we want dabbrev to look in
eshell/em-term.el:    "pine" "tin" "trn" "elm")           ; GNUS!!
gnus/nnheader.el:;; been changed from the internal GNUS format to the NOV format.  The
gnus/nnheader.el:;; These macros may look very much like the ones in GNUS 4.1.  They
jka-compr.el:;; Packages like Rmail, VM, GNUS, and Info should be able to work
ldefs-boot.el:   (add-hook 'message-send-hook 'ispell-message)  ;; GNUS 5
ldefs-boot.el:   (add-hook 'news-inews-hook 'ispell-message)    ;; GNUS 4
ldefs-boot.el:You can bind this to the key C-c i in GNUS or mail by adding to
loaddefs.el:   (add-hook 'message-send-hook 'ispell-message)  ;; GNUS 5
loaddefs.el:   (add-hook 'news-inews-hook 'ispell-message)    ;; GNUS 4
loaddefs.el:You can bind this to the key C-c i in GNUS or mail by adding to
org/org.el:     (const :tag "   gnus:              Links to GNUS folders/messages" org-gnus)
textmodes/ispell.el:              (equal major-mode 'message-mode))   ;GNUS 5
textmodes/ispell.el:         ((or (equal major-mode 'news-reply-mode) ;GNUS 4 & below
textmodes/ispell.el:   (add-hook 'message-send-hook 'ispell-message)  ;; GNUS 5
textmodes/ispell.el:   (add-hook 'news-inews-hook 'ispell-message)    ;; GNUS 4
textmodes/ispell.el:You can bind this to the key C-c i in GNUS or mail by adding to

--

@ 2016-01-29 20:34         ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2016-01-29 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Emanuel writes:

> One example of a docstring is `ispell-message' in
>
>     /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/textmodes/ispell.el
[...]

Ah, I only looked in the Gnus source code.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "There are forty people in the world and five of them        Adam Sjøgren
  are hamburgers."                                       asjo@koldfront.dk