* .gnus init file
@ 2015-02-01 16:16 btraven
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: btraven @ 2015-02-01 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I have both .emacs and .gnus in ~\ (w32 24.4) and am manually
transfering gnus stuff from .emacs to .gnus
Is there a way to have options > customize write to a
custom-set-variables paragraph in .gnus instead of in .emacs or does all
the gnus stuff set through customize have to stay in .emacs

Also is this the right place to ask about using openssl, gnutls, and
other non-Emacs apps needed to make gnus a mail reader as well as a news
reader?

I have all of this in \emacs\gnutls:

cacert.pem	      libgnutls-28.dll		openssl.exe
certtool.exe	      libgnutls-openssl-27.dll	psktool.exe
danetool.exe	      libhogweed-2-5.dll	ReadMe.txt
gnutls-cli-debug.exe  libiconv-2.dll		regex2.dll
gnutls-cli.exe	      libintl-8.dll		srptool.exe
gnutls-serv.exe       libnettle-4-7.dll		ssleay32.dll
HashInfo.txt	      libtasn1-6.dll		zlib1.dll
libeay32.dll	      ocsptool.exe
libgmp-10.dll	      OpenSSL\ License.txt

and ssl.el in \emacs\site-lisp but the ssl.el may not be current (from
1999).

In the emacswiki I read:

"
There is bleeding edge support for sending/getting email through Gmail
using only
Gnus (and not the webmail interface.) I’ve verified that this works (rather well in fact.)

    Configure your Gmail account for POP support.
This is under Settings in the gmail web interface.
    Use CVS Emacs and CVS Gnus. It won’t work any other way.
 ;; this must be dated since its from 2006;;

    Replace your installation’s “pop3.el” and “pop3.elc” with those
    linked to from this page:
    http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~terjeros/wiki/GnusGmail
;; dead link;;

    Configure as on the linked page.

– NOTE: you also need ssl.el, which doesn’t seem to come with the
  current GNU CVS. I found it with a quick google search.
"

Where do I move the stuff in my \emacs\gnutls to make this promise come
true?

Thanks,

Ed

* Re: .gnus init file
@ 2015-02-02  4:07 ` Sivaram Neelakantan
       [not found] ` <mailman.19148.1422850086.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2015-02-02  4:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: btraven; +Cc: info-gnus-english

On Sun, Feb 01 2015,btraven  wrote:

> I have both .emacs and .gnus in ~\ (w32 24.4) and am manually
> transfering gnus stuff from .emacs to .gnus
> Is there a way to have options > customize write to a
> custom-set-variables paragraph in .gnus instead of in .emacs or does all
> the gnus stuff set through customize have to stay in .emacs
>
> Also is this the right place to ask about using openssl, gnutls, and
> other non-Emacs apps needed to make gnus a mail reader as well as a news
> reader?
>
> I have all of this in \emacs\gnutls:
>
> cacert.pem	      libgnutls-28.dll		openssl.exe
> certtool.exe	      libgnutls-openssl-27.dll	psktool.exe
> danetool.exe	      libhogweed-2-5.dll	ReadMe.txt
> gnutls-cli-debug.exe  libiconv-2.dll		regex2.dll
> gnutls-cli.exe	      libintl-8.dll		srptool.exe
> gnutls-serv.exe       libnettle-4-7.dll		ssleay32.dll
> HashInfo.txt	      libtasn1-6.dll		zlib1.dll
> libeay32.dll	      ocsptool.exe
> libgmp-10.dll	      OpenSSL\ License.txt
>
> and ssl.el in \emacs\site-lisp but the ssl.el may not be current (from
> 1999).
>
> In the emacswiki I read:

I just set up Emacs +gnus+gmail mail send/receive on my win 7 laptop.
And this might not be what you were looking for but here goes anyway.

1.  Download the ezwinports bin files from sourceforge.  Just take all
of them, doesn't matter.  Look for w32-bin files I believe

2.  Put them in c:/gnu/ezwinports or c:/Emacs/ezwinports. err...unzip
them of course.

3. look at your C-h v dynamic-library-alist

Value: ((xpm "libxpm.dll" "xpm4.dll" "libXpm-nox4.dll")
 (png "libpng16.dll" "libpng16-16.dll")
 (tiff "libtiff-5.dll" "libtiff3.dll" "libtiff.dll")
 (jpeg "libjpeg-9.dll")
 (gif "libgif-7.dll")
 (svg "librsvg-2-2.dll")
 (gdk-pixbuf "libgdk_pixbuf-2.0-0.dll")
 (glib "libglib-2.0-0.dll")
 (gobject "libgobject-2.0-0.dll")
 (gnutls "libgnutls-28.dll" "libgnutls-26.dll")
 (libxml2 "libxml2-2.dll" "libxml2.dll")
 (zlib "zlib1.dll" "libz-1.dll"))

These dlls should be there in unzipped directory.

4.  Make sure that ezwinports dir is in the PATH in the "MY Computer"
settings. Adding the path in Emacs doesn't work.  And it has to be
there BEFORE the cygwin path.  which is important.

5.  I have this settings for my .gnus

(setq mail-sources
      '((pop :server "pop.gmail.com"
             :port 995
             :user "xxxxxxx@gmail.com"
             :password "xxxxx"
             :stream ssl)))
;;if retrieving from spool, delete temp file after 1 days
(setq mail-source-delete-incoming 1)
(setq mail-source-delete-old-incoming-confirm nil)
(eval-after-load "mail-source" '(require 'pop3))
;;
(setq smtpmail-stream-type 'ssl)
(setq smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com")
(setq smtpmail-smtp-service 465)
(setq smtpmail-debug-info t) ; only to debug problems set to t if needed
(setq smtpmail-debug-verb t)
;; ;;so that sent-mail folders see "To" headers instead of from
(setq gnus-extra-headers
      '(To ))
(setq gnus-verbose 7)
(setq gnus-verbose-backends 7)

I don't think I used anything other than stock gnus .el files or
anything outside of the the ezwinports.  In fact, I used msmtp before
but since the ezwinports binaries, it's fully native Emacs.

6.  You'd need an .authinfo file in ~/ directory

c:/Users/ADMIN/AppData/Roaming

or somewhere

7. You may want to see this thread for more info

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2015-01/msg00328.html

8. If this works, gnus would render html and images too.

 sivaram

* Re: .gnus init file
       [not found] ` <mailman.19148.1422850086.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2015-02-03  8:27   ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2015-02-03  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

<mailman.19148.1422850086.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>Sivaram NeelakantanMon,
02 Feb 2015 09:37:54 +0530

> [...]
>(setq smtpmail-debug-verb t)
>;; ;;so that sent-mail folders see "To" headers instead of from
>(setq gnus-extra-headers
>      '(To ))
>(setq gnus-verbose 7)
>(setq gnus-verbose-backends 7)
>--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>
>I don't think I used anything other than stock gnus .el files or
>anything outside of the the ezwinports.  In fact, I used msmtp before
>but since the ezwinports binaries, it's fully native Emacs.
>
>6.  You'd need an .authinfo file in ~/ directory
>
>c:/Users/ADMIN/AppData/Roaming
>
>or somewhere
>
>7. You may want to see this thread for more info
>
>http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2015-01/msg00328.html
>

>8. If this works, gnus would render html and images too.

Thanks, Sivaram. I have installed files you suggested above and added lines to
.gnus, restarted emacs, and now gnus is much slower (long wait on black
hourglass within Emacs. dynamic-library-alist shows same as before with older
versions of dlls. My box is also win7 laptop (64-bit). I'm assuming that all
this 32bit stuff will work since I think Emacs itself is still only 32 bit.
Anyway now gnus is not even usable as newsreader so I am posting via newsguy web
direct. I don't want to undo what I've done and will start reading the whole
gnus manual to see if I can get more insight into what is going on. Anyway I am
not able to see where the old dll's are coming from. Is it necessary to restart
w32 itself? There is a 493k libXpm.dll in the emacs.exe subdirectory
(\emacs\bin). Is that supposed to be there?

Ed

* Re: .gnus init file
       [not found] ` <mailman.19148.1422850086.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2015-02-03 19:17 ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]   ` <mailman.19235.1423034855.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2015-02-03 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

btraven <btraven@nihilo.net> writes:

> I have both .emacs and .gnus in ~\ (w32 24.4) and am
> manually transfering gnus stuff from .emacs to .gnus
> Is there a way to have options > customize write to
> a custom-set-variables paragraph in .gnus instead of
> in .emacs or does all the gnus stuff set through
> customize have to stay in .emacs

No, those files don't mean anything as such. As long
as the files get read, you can put whatever option in
whatever file.

For example, I have a subdirectory with Gnus files,
then I load them all from .emacs with `load-file'.

If you are interested how that might work, check out:

    http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/conf/.emacs
    http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/conf/emacs-init/gnus/

That said, that's nothing I'd recommend as a solution
that is "better" than anyone else's. If you don't have
tons of configuration for Gnus, why don't stick with
.emacs and .gnus? - only when it gets out of hand, it
becomes necessary to split everything into several
files.

> Also is this the right place to ask about using
> openssl, gnutls, and other non-Emacs apps needed to
> make gnus a mail reader as well as a news reader?

It is the right place, but to read mail with Gnus is
easy. The setup is very easy.

This

    http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/conf/emacs-init/gnus/mail.el

should get you started with SMTP and POP - don't mind
the initial defun stop, start reading at the comment
that says "SMTP". If you need other protocols I can't
help you, but I can assure you that is easy as well.

--
underground experts united

* Re: .gnus init file
@ 2015-02-04  2:05     ` Sivaram Neelakantan
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2015-02-04  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: B. T. Raven; +Cc: info-gnus-english

On Tue, Feb 03 2015,B. T. Raven wrote:

> <mailman.19148.1422850086.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>Sivaram
> Neelakantan Mon,
> 02 Feb 2015 09:37:54 +0530
>>
>>On Sun, Feb 01 2015,btraven  wrote:

[snipped 104 lines]

> Thanks, Sivaram. I have installed files you suggested above and added lines to
> .gnus, restarted emacs, and now gnus is much slower (long wait on black
> hourglass within Emacs. dynamic-library-alist shows same as before with older
> versions of dlls.

Please launch Emacs without your init file, and check the
dynamic-library-alist.  That list of DLLs especially the gnutls one
should be there in the ezwinports.  I'm assuming you're using the
stock install of Emacs 24.4 from the gnu website.

>My box is also win7 laptop (64-bit). I'm assuming that all
> this 32bit stuff will work since I think Emacs itself is still only 32 bit.

Yes, it will work.

> Anyway now gnus is not even usable as newsreader so I am posting via newsguy web
> direct. I don't want to undo what I've done and will start reading the whole
> gnus manual to see if I can get more insight into what is going on. Anyway I am
> not able to see where the old dll's are coming from.

Well, it is important that Emacs can find the exact versions of DLLs
of the alist that it think it needs.  Without that, nothing will work.
IF it is finding older versions of DLLs, you prolly have to root
through your win7 directories and at least temporarily rename those
DLLs.

>Is it necessary to restart w32 itself?

When I changed the PATH, I had to anyway reboot and so cannot say
either way; it might be a good idea to reboot, Win systems are funky.

>There is a 493k libXpm.dll in the emacs.exe subdirectory
>(\emacs\bin). Is that supposed to be there?

That shouldn't be a cause of any issues.  You don't have to do
anything to it.

Add these to your .gnus.el

(setq smtpmail-debug-info t) ; only to debug problems set to t if needed
(setq smtpmail-debug-verb t)
(setq gnus-verbose 7)
(setq gnus-verbose-backends 7)

Typically you should see something like this in Messages buffer.

Checking new news...
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) GnuTLS library loaded: libgnutls-28.dll
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) allocating credentials
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) setting the trustfile:  c:/cygwin/usr/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.trust.crt
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) setting the trustfile:  c:/cygwin/usr/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) gnutls callbacks
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) gnutls_init
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) got non-default priority string: NORMAL
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) setting the priority string
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) non-fatal error: Resource temporarily unavailable, try again. [2715 times]
news.eternal-september.org certificate could not be verified.
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) certificate signer was not found: news.eternal-september.org
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) certificate validation failed: news.eternal-september.org
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) allocating credentials
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) setting the trustfile:  c:/cygwin/usr/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.trust.crt
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) setting the trustfile:  c:/cygwin/usr/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) gnutls callbacks
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) gnutls_init
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) got non-default priority string: NORMAL
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) setting the priority string
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) non-fatal error: Resource temporarily unavailable, try again. [3324 times]
news.gmane.org certificate could not be verified.

sivaram

* Re: .gnus init file
@ 2015-02-04  7:27   ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found]   ` <mailman.19235.1423034855.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2015-02-04  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

>> I have both .emacs and .gnus in ~\ (w32 24.4) and am
>> manually transfering gnus stuff from .emacs to .gnus
>> Is there a way to have options > customize write to
>> a custom-set-variables paragraph in .gnus instead of
>> in .emacs or does all the gnus stuff set through
>> customize have to stay in .emacs
>
> No, those files don't mean anything as such. As long
> as the files get read, you can put whatever option in
> whatever file.

That's not what was asked.  The question was if it's possible to tell
the Customize interface to store Gnus-related stuff in ~/.gnus and all
other stuff in ~/.emacs.

Well, I tend to say "possibly, yes".  There's a variable for the file
which is used to store Customize settings:

,----[ C-h v custom-file RET ]
| custom-file is a variable defined in `cus-edit.el'.
| Its value is nil
|
| Documentation:
| File used for storing customization information.
| The default is nil, which means to use your init file
| as specified by `user-init-file'.  If the value is not nil,
| it should be an absolute file name.
|
| You can set this option through Custom, if you carefully read the
| last paragraph below.  However, usually it is simpler to write
| something like the following in your init file:
|
| (setq custom-file "~/.emacs-custom.el")
| (load custom-file)
|
| Note that both lines are necessary: the first line tells Custom to
| save all customizations in this file, but does not load it.
|
| When you change this variable outside Custom, look in the
| previous custom file (usually your init file) for the
| forms `(custom-set-variables ...)'  and `(custom-set-faces ...)',
| and copy them (whichever ones you find) to the new custom file.
| This will preserve your existing customizations.
|
| If you save this option using Custom, Custom will write all
| currently saved customizations, including the new one for this
| option itself, into the file you specify, overwriting any
| `custom-set-variables' and `custom-set-faces' forms already
| present in that file.  It will not delete any customizations from
| the old custom file.  You should do that manually if that is what you
| want.  You also have to put something like `(load "CUSTOM-FILE")
| in your init file, where CUSTOM-FILE is the actual name of the
| file.  Otherwise, Emacs will not load the file when it starts up,
| and hence will not set `custom-file' to that file either.
|
| You can customize this variable.
`----

So basically, if you manage to set this variable buffer-locally to
"/home/user/.gnus" in Customize buffers related to Gnus stuff, it'll
probably work.  But that setting needs to be installed before the custom
options are inserted there, because else their current values wouldn't
be read from the right file.

However, even if you manage to get there, that's also no salvation
because some Customize commands like `customize-apropos' will let you
customize options from different groups, and then a buffer-local value
of custom-file won't do the trick.

So long story short: I'd suggest you either don't mess with
`custom-file' and let Emacs put it in `user-init-file', or you set it to
a separate file which is loaded from ~/.emacs as suggested in the docs
above.  Splitting into per-package custom-files doesn't seem to be
possible, and IMHO the value is questionable anyhow.  I mean, the since
the customizations are sorted alphabetically, they are somehow grouped
by package anyway.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: .gnus init file
       [not found]   ` <mailman.19235.1423034855.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2015-02-05  1:38     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2015-02-05  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

> That's not what was asked. The question was if it's
> possible to tell the Customize interface to store
> Gnus-related stuff in ~/.gnus and all other stuff in
> ~/.emacs.

OK, so the question is:

"How do I customize Customize so that it will put the
generated Elisp in my config files just the way I want
it?"

I mean, doesn't Customize exist because some people
for whatever reasons have dot-file phobia?

If you care about those files, how they look and what
they contain, don't use Customize at all.

--

@ 2015-02-05  4:08     ` Ed C.
From: Ed C. @ 2015-02-05  4:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> [...]

> probably work.  But that setting needs to be installed before the custom
> options are inserted there, because else their current values wouldn't
> be read from the right file.
>
> However, even if you manage to get there, that's also no salvation
> because some Customize commands like `customize-apropos' will let you
> customize options from different groups, and then a buffer-local value
> of custom-file won't do the trick.
>
> So long story short: I'd suggest you either don't mess with
> `custom-file' and let Emacs put it in `user-init-file', or you set it to
> a separate file which is loaded from ~/.emacs as suggested in the docs
> above.  Splitting into per-package custom-files doesn't seem to be
> possible, and IMHO the value is questionable anyhow.  I mean, the since
> the customizations are sorted alphabetically, they are somehow grouped

Thanks Emanual and Tassilo. For now this is tmi but I'm concatenating
all the sample .emacs, .gnus, and .el files into a large gnusstuff.txt
file for reference. Tassilo did understand my question about multiple
custom-set-variables paragraphs in different init files (.emacs, .gnus,
maybe others). Maybe the comment instead of " ;; Your init file should
contain only one such instance." should say that only one init file
should contain an instance. And then a note to see custom-file variable.
So I will experiment with adding things related only to gnus from my
gnusstuff.txt file to either .emacs or .gnus but will avoid the advanced
stuff. When I first ran gnus I read about 100000 usenet groups names
that went I know not where in my laptop, subscribed to 4 of them (not
likely to even need more than a dozen), and then specified only 100 or
200 most recent for access (reading). The oldest headers show first in
the summary buffer instead of the most recent (wouldn't that be the
rational default?). My m. o. in dealing with email and posting is to
have anything more than a month old just disappear somehow or another
unless I explicitly save an article. So what I need (besides reading the
whole gnus manual and understanding what the common gnus-.* variables
do) is just the absolute minimum settings needed in .emacs and .gnus to
send and receive email.
Finally, I should confess that my webmail is somehow redirected through
gmail. If I google on gmail and then just click on the top link I am
conected to my main sysmatrex.net webmail account. I think I should be
able to connect the same way through gnus but I might have to wait until
I can try it  back home where I usually deal with both email and groups
using Thunderbird.

Thank again,

Ed

* Re: .gnus init file
@ 2015-02-05  4:42       ` Ed C.
From: Ed C. @ 2015-02-05  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Oops, sorry Emanuel. I guess an e-manual is electronic.

ed

* Re: .gnus init file
@ 2015-02-06  1:44         ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2015-02-06  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

eminmn@sysmatrix.net (Ed C.) writes:

> Oops, sorry Emanuel. I guess an e-manual is
> electronic.

What? :)

Ha ha.

--