* Re: Accessing cached articles without an active internet connection
       [not found] <mailman.176.1398696464.1147.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2014-04-28 15:26 ` David Hume
From: David Hume @ 2014-04-28 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Alexander Baier <lexi.baier@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> This is the general functionality I am trying to achieve:
>
> In a nntp-group (usually gmane) I want to save few articles in such a
> way that I can access these later even when gnus can't connect to the
> server said group is on.
>
> I found (info "(Gnus) Persistent Articles") to sound like something
> really close to what I want to have.  Marking articles with `*' stores
> them in ~/News/cache/group.name and selecting such an article from
> inside a group is significantly faster as doing so with a non-cached
> article.  Thus gnus really uses these cached articles.
>
> Trying to open a group with cached articles inside while being offline
> fails with something like the following:
>
> "Opening nntp server on news.gmane.org...failed: >>> (error
> news.gmane.org/nntp Name or service not known)"
>
> Is there a way to enter this group despite not having an active
> connection to the server?  I only want to see articles that have been
> cached (ergo reside locally on disk) anyway.
>
> Any pointers are greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards,

I managed to do this by selecting "read folder as a group" from the menu
and then selecting "News/cache.." as the folder.

* Re: Accessing cached articles without an active internet connection
@ 2014-04-28 15:30   ` David Hume
From: David Hume @ 2014-04-28 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

David Hume <David.Hume@example.com> writes:

> I managed to do this by selecting "read folder as a group" from the menu
> and then selecting "News/cache.." as the folder.

When I got the news error, I selected yes to continue anyway. I had to
wait a while for the error, even though I have the nntp timeout set, it
didn't seem to operate in that context.

* Re: Accessing cached articles without an active internet connection
@ 2014-04-28 15:39     ` David Hume
From: David Hume @ 2014-04-28 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

David Hume <David.Hume@example.com> writes:

> David Hume <David.Hume@example.com> writes:
>

>> I managed to do this by selecting "read folder as a group" from the menu
>> and then selecting "News/cache.." as the folder.
>
> When I got the news error, I selected yes to continue anyway. I had to
> wait a while for the error, even though I have the nntp timeout set, it
> didn't seem to operate in that context.

That should be "read directory as a group" i.e. G D

(gnus-group-enter-directory DIR)

* Re: Accessing cached articles without an active internet connection
@ 2014-04-28 15:50       ` Alexander Baier
From: Alexander Baier @ 2014-04-28 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Hume; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Hello David,

On 2014-04-28 17:39 David Hume wrote:
> David Hume <David.Hume@example.com> writes:
>
>> David Hume <David.Hume@example.com> writes:
>>

>>> I managed to do this by selecting "read folder as a group" from the menu
>>> and then selecting "News/cache.." as the folder.
>>
>> When I got the news error, I selected yes to continue anyway. I had to
>> wait a while for the error, even though I have the nntp timeout set, it
>> didn't seem to operate in that context.
>
> That should be "read directory as a group" i.e. G D
>
> (gnus-group-enter-directory DIR)

Thank you very much for the fast reply! Although this is not exactly
what I am looking for, it comes very close and is indeed a satisfying
solution.

Thanks,
--
 Alexander Baier

* Accessing cached articles without an active internet connection
@ 2014-04-28 14:46 Alexander Baier