* a strategy for reading newsgroups
@ 2010-12-28 21:45 prad
From: prad @ 2010-12-28 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

do people have efficient strategies for handling newsgroups?
are there any links that pertain specifically to gnus?

here is one issue for instance that is bothering me and haven't found a
solution for in the excellent and humorously written manual, yet.

when i go into a newsgroup there may be 9999 posts. they are all unread
and i'm asked how many do i want to download. so i say 99 and read a few
and may be reply to a few or post some of my own.

now i go back to the group and it would be nice to see new replies to my
efforts or the threads i was involved in. however, i'm asked how many do
i want to download and i see the new items again some of which are of
course the ones i'm interested in.

i suppose the marking and prioritizing threads can assist here, but i'm
also thinking that if i could mark an entire group as read, then i'd
only get new posts when i go in, so that's a lot less to sift
through. (i can mark a group with #, but haven't figured out how to mark
everything within it as being read). possibly, this may not be a good
idea either or there may be more intelligent ways of doing things.

is there some sort of gnus for dummies that is available?

--
In friendship,
prad

                                      ... with you on your journey
Towards Freedom
http://www.towardsfreedom.com (website)
Information, Inspiration, Imagination - truly a site for soaring I's

* Re: a strategy for reading newsgroups
@ 2010-12-31  1:40 ` prad
From: prad @ 2010-12-31  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

prad <prad@towardsfreedom.com> writes:

> is there some sort of gnus for dummies that is available?

here are a couple of links that i've been finding useful so far:

the faq that's on gnu.org for gnus:
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/gnus/Frequently-Asked-Questions.html#Frequently-Asked-Questions

sacha's page on gnus which provides several interesting ideas:
http://sachachua.com/notebook/wickedcool/wc-emacs-05-gnus.html

--
in friendship,
prad

* Re: a strategy for reading newsgroups
@ 2010-12-29 10:49   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2010-12-29 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Massimo Gengarelli <gengarel@cs.unibo.it> writes:

Hi Massimo,

> While in the *Group* buffer, move your cursor over the newsgroup and
> press M-c c, then answer "y" at the question. Voilà, newsgroup marked
> as read.

Why do you clear the group data (`M-c') before catching up (`c')?  Only
the latter is needed.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: a strategy for reading newsgroups
@ 2010-12-29  1:16   ` prad
From: prad @ 2010-12-29  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Massimo Gengarelli <gengarel@cs.unibo.it> writes:

> While in the *Group* buffer, move your cursor over the newsgroup and
> press M-c c, then answer "y" at the question. Voilà, newsgroup marked as
> read.

many thx massimo - for this as well as the info about how and why the
author shows up the way it does earlier.

newsgroups certainly require a different way of thinking about how to do
things than forums - like when you're asked how many items to download
when you go into a group ... i just never know. :D

also, i haven't figured out how to search effectively in a newsgroup
(with gnus or claws-mail). on the web, i can just go to the search box
the newsgroup provides, but here i'm not sure what to do, yet. there is
likely some mechanism to archive and create indices - mairix possibly
though the manual seems to indicate it's for email.

anyway, time to go study the manual!

--
In friendship,
prad

* Re: a strategy for reading newsgroups
       [not found] <mailman.8.1293572714.3661.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2010-12-28 21:56 ` Massimo Gengarelli
From: Massimo Gengarelli @ 2010-12-28 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

prad <prad@towardsfreedom.com> writes:
> i suppose the marking and prioritizing threads can assist here, but i'm
> also thinking that if i could mark an entire group as read, then i'd

While in the *Group* buffer, move your cursor over the newsgroup and
press M-c c, then answer "y" at the question. Voilà, newsgroup marked as
read.

enjoy =)
 massi