* a strategy for reading newsgroups
@ 2010-12-28 21:45 prad
From: prad @ 2010-12-28 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

do people have efficient strategies for handling newsgroups?
are there any links that pertain specifically to gnus?

here is one issue for instance that is bothering me and haven't found a
solution for in the excellent and humorously written manual, yet.

when i go into a newsgroup there may be 9999 posts. they are all unread
and i'm asked how many do i want to download. so i say 99 and read a few
and may be reply to a few or post some of my own.

now i go back to the group and it would be nice to see new replies to my
efforts or the threads i was involved in. however, i'm asked how many do
i want to download and i see the new items again some of which are of
course the ones i'm interested in.

i suppose the marking and prioritizing threads can assist here, but i'm
also thinking that if i could mark an entire group as read, then i'd
only get new posts when i go in, so that's a lot less to sift
through. (i can mark a group with #, but haven't figured out how to mark
everything within it as being read). possibly, this may not be a good
idea either or there may be more intelligent ways of doing things.

is there some sort of gnus for dummies that is available?

--
In friendship,
prad

                                      ... with you on your journey
Towards Freedom
http://www.towardsfreedom.com (website)
Information, Inspiration, Imagination - truly a site for soaring I's