* import existing file - mark unrad
@ 2009-06-03 17:02 notbob
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: notbob @ 2009-06-03 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Moving along swimmingly, but still got lots of questions:

1. Can I import a file into a follow-up posting (being edited)?  Seems
I saw a command to do so, but now can't locate it.  I love the saved
posts in nndraft:drafts.  Very handy when I lose a server connection,
which is often, lately.  Anyway, I have to come back and try again and
would like to cat a saved draft into new/follow-up post.  How?

2.  Is there a way to mark a file as plain ol' "unread"?  Not r or R
or ! or O or any other of a seemingly jillion ways to mark a file so
it will re-appear in summary.  Just plain ol' "unread", as if I'd
never seen/accessed it before.  This so I can just go down a thread
using n to get each unread post.  Preferably, mass mark multiple
articles at once.

nb

* Re: import existing file - mark unrad
@ 2009-06-03 18:20 ` Memnon Anon
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Memnon Anon @ 2009-06-03 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi!

I am pretty new to gnus myself, so I hope I won't tell you wrong.

File = Article?

notbob@bb.nothome.com writes:

> 1. Can I import a file into a follow-up posting (being edited)?  Seems
> I saw a command to do so, but now can't locate it.  I love the saved
> posts in nndraft:drafts.  Very handy when I lose a server connection,
> which is often, lately.  Anyway, I have to come back and try again and
> would like to cat a saved draft into new/follow-up post.  How?

I would use the emacs killring. So, mark the text you want in your
follow-up, press M-w to copy to killring, go to your message and paste
it with C-y. Or did I get your question wrong?

> 2.  Is there a way to mark a file as plain ol' "unread"?  Not r or R
> or ! or O or any other of a seemingly jillion ways to mark a file so
> it will re-appear in summary.  Just plain ol' "unread", as if I'd
> never seen/accessed it before.  This so I can just go down a thread
> using n to get each unread post.  Preferably, mass mark multiple
> articles at once.

I never use this feature, but may I ask, where you've been looking so
far? I found this pretty quickly and a first test seems to do what you
want.

,----[ (info "(gnus)Setting Marks") ]
| 3.7.4 Setting Marks
| -------------------
|
| All the marking commands understand the numeric prefix.
|
| `M c'
| `M-u'
|      Clear all readedness-marks from the current article
|      (`gnus-summary-clear-mark-forward').  In other words, mark the
|      article as unread.
`----

Mass marking is done by a (positive or negative) Prefix, so
M-3 M-u 'unreads' the next three articles. (or use C-u 3 insted of M-3).

I agree, the manual is often more confusing than helpfull, but you get
used to it ;).

hth

Memnon

* Re: import existing file - mark unrad
@ 2009-06-03 20:59 ` Glyn Millington
       [not found] ` <mailman.8451.1244068578.31690.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
       [not found] ` <mailman.8432.1244053246.31690.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Glyn Millington @ 2009-06-03 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

notbob@bb.nothome.com writes:

> Moving along swimmingly, but still got lots of questions:

Hi there NB - glad to see you took the plunge!

> 1. Can I import a file into a follow-up posting (being edited)?  Seems
> I saw a command to do so, but now can't locate it.  I love the saved
> posts in nndraft:drafts.  Very handy when I lose a server connection,
> which is often, lately.  Anyway, I have to come back and try again and
> would like to cat a saved draft into new/follow-up post.  How?

To insert a file do

C-x i

and magically a propmt will appear asking you for the name of the file

> 2.  Is there a way to mark a file as plain ol' "unread"?  Not r or R
> or ! or O or any other of a seemingly jillion ways to mark a file so
> it will re-appear in summary.  Just plain ol' "unread", as if I'd
> never seen/accessed it before.  This so I can just go down a thread
> using n to get each unread post.  Preferably, mass mark multiple
> articles at once.

M-u will do the stuff.

Good luck

Glyn

@ 2009-06-03 23:55   ` notbob
From: notbob @ 2009-06-03 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Glyn Millington <wistanswick@linuxmail.org> writes:

> Hi there NB - glad to see you took the plunge!

Hey, Glyn!  Nice to hear from you.

Yep, I finally got it all together.  Now I'm navigating my file
system, editing files, yappin' on usenet and irc, shufflin' buffers,
tweaking variables, etc, all from a single emacs session, jes
like it was designed to do.  This emacs thing is kinda fun.

Thanks for all your support and encouragement over the years.  I
may be slow, but I don't give up.  ;)

BTW, I also moved.  Not in CA anymore.  Up in the CO Rocky boonies.

nb    --"vi ....the heart of evil!"

@ 2009-06-04  5:10   ` notbob
From: notbob @ 2009-06-04  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Memnon Anon <gegendosenfleisch@gmail.com> writes:

> I am pretty new to gnus myself, so I hope I won't tell you wrong.
>
> File = Article?

> I would use the emacs killring.

See Glyn's article.

> Mass marking is done by a (positive or negative) Prefix, so
> M-3 M-u 'unreads' the next three articles. (or use C-u 3 insted of M-3).

Excellent.

> I agree, the manual is often more confusing than helpfull, but you get
> used to it ;).

I hope so.  I get so impatient looking for something and the manuals
go off on tangents unrelated to the title of the section, give wrong
info, or just leave out info.  I'm still trying to figure out WTF an
.emacs-dribble file is and why I gotta respond to prompts asking if I
want to save buffers to it.  Do I?  I haven't a clue.

@ 2009-06-04  6:20     ` Glyn Millington
From: Glyn Millington @ 2009-06-04  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

notbob@bb.nothome.com writes:

> Glyn Millington <wistanswick@linuxmail.org> writes:
>

>> Hi there NB - glad to see you took the plunge!
>
> Hey, Glyn!  Nice to hear from you.
>
> Yep, I finally got it all together.  Now I'm navigating my file
> system, editing files, yappin' on usenet and irc, shufflin' buffers,
> tweaking variables, etc, all from a single emacs session, jes
> like it was designed to do.  This emacs thing is kinda fun.

It's a way of life really!

> BTW, I also moved.  Not in CA anymore.  Up in the CO Rocky boonies.

Sounds good :-)

atb

Glyn

* Re: import existing file - mark unrad
@ 2009-06-04 18:32     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2009-06-04 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Wed, 03 Jun 2009 23:10:25 -0600, notbob@bb.nothome.com wrote:

> I hope so.  I get so impatient looking for something and the manuals
> go off on tangents unrelated to the title of the section, give wrong
> info, or just leave out info.  I'm still trying to figure out WTF an
> .emacs-dribble file is and why I gotta respond to prompts asking if I
> want to save buffers to it.  Do I?  I haven't a clue.

When you are finished using Gnus, do you simply close Emacs or do you
use 'q' in the Group buffer?

You're only asked about temporary files if you don't quit Gnus properly :-)

  Best regards,

--
 "I'm a tree-surgeon if you like"                             Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: import existing file - mark unrad
@ 2009-06-04 19:23     ` Marcel Logen
From: Marcel Logen @ 2009-06-04 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

notbob@bb.nothome.com writes:

>I'm still trying to figure out WTF an
>.emacs-dribble file is [...]

<http://www.gnus.org/manual/gnus_12.html#SEC12>

Marcel
--
-+  +-+ +-+ +---+ +-+                         +-+
 +--+ +-+ +-+   +-+ +--+ +--+             +---+ +--+   +---+  +---+

* Re: import existing file - mark unrad
@ 2009-06-05  0:49       ` notbob
From: notbob @ 2009-06-05  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> When you are finished using Gnus, do you simply close Emacs or do you
> use 'q' in the Group buffer?

I always use q to quit gnus.

> You're only asked about temporary files if you don't quit Gnus properly :-)

I finally found what a .newsrc-dribble file is and that, supposedly,
it is only created if I desire it to be.  I did not.  It was created
nonetheless.  I did find the file and removed it.  That appears to
have solved the problem.

nb