* Possible Gnus/Emacs 22 Tramp bug?
@ 2006-05-14 22:31 Tim X
       [not found] ` <mailman.1814.1147677181.9609.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Tim X @ 2006-05-14 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm running on Debian with emacs 22 snapshot and gnus-version says No
Gnus v0.4 (Debian package 5.11+v0.4.dfsg).

When I try to save an article with 'O b', I get the error "Not a valid
tramp filename'. This is because the group I'm reading is a foreign
group and tries to save it in the file
~/News/my.isp.com+nntp:gnu.emacs.help/...

It seems emacs 22 is seeing the + and : in the filename as an
indicator it is a tramp filespec, which shouldn't happen since it
starts with a tilde rather than a / and the + and : are not in the
first component (I'm gussing).

This wasn't a problem until a recent gnus upgrade. I wanted to know if
other users have observed this with emacs 22 - especially if they are
not a debian user as I'm trying to work out who to log a bug with -
i.e. emacs 22 or gnus?

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: Possible Gnus/Emacs 22 Tramp bug?
@ 2006-05-15  7:12 ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found] ` <mailman.1814.1147677181.9609.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2006-05-15  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null> writes:

Hi Tim,

> I'm running on Debian with emacs 22 snapshot and gnus-version says No
> Gnus v0.4 (Debian package 5.11+v0.4.dfsg).
>
> When I try to save an article with 'O b', I get the error "Not a valid
> tramp filename'. This is because the group I'm reading is a foreign
> group and tries to save it in the file
> ~/News/my.isp.com+nntp:gnu.emacs.help/...
>
> It seems emacs 22 is seeing the + and : in the filename as an
> indicator it is a tramp filespec, which shouldn't happen since it
> starts with a tilde rather than a / and the + and : are not in the
> first component (I'm gussing).

Works for me. TRAMP gets loaded but doesn't get in my way. I remember
there were some changes made to TRAMP loading/startup last week, but
they shouldn't be related, I think.

Perhaps you tweaked the value of `tramp-file-name-regexp'? That's the
default I'm using here:

,----
| tramp-file-name-regexp is a variable defined in `tramp.el'.
| Its value is "\\`/[^/:]+:"
`----

Both Gnus and Emacs are CVS snapshots from last saturday here.

,----[ C-h v gnus-version RET ]
`----

,----[ C-h v emacs-version RET ]
| emacs-version is a variable defined in `version.el'.
| Its value is "22.0.50.1"
`----

Bye,
Tassilo
--
"Emacs is not a development tool but a way of life."
     - David Kastrup in alt.religion.emacs -

@ 2006-05-15  7:33   ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2006-05-15  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tassilo Horn <heimdall@uni-koblenz.de> writes:

> Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null> writes:
>
> Hi Tim,
>
>> I'm running on Debian with emacs 22 snapshot and gnus-version says No
>> Gnus v0.4 (Debian package 5.11+v0.4.dfsg).
>>
>> When I try to save an article with 'O b', I get the error "Not a valid
>> tramp filename'. This is because the group I'm reading is a foreign
>> group and tries to save it in the file
>> ~/News/my.isp.com+nntp:gnu.emacs.help/...
>>
>> It seems emacs 22 is seeing the + and : in the filename as an
>> indicator it is a tramp filespec, which shouldn't happen since it
>> starts with a tilde rather than a / and the + and : are not in the
>> first component (I'm gussing).
>
> Works for me. TRAMP gets loaded but doesn't get in my way. I remember
> there were some changes made to TRAMP loading/startup last week, but
> they shouldn't be related, I think.
>
> Perhaps you tweaked the value of `tramp-file-name-regexp'? That's the
> default I'm using here:
>
> ,----
> | tramp-file-name-regexp is a variable defined in `tramp.el'.
> | Its value is "\\`/[^/:]+:"
> `----
>
> Both Gnus and Emacs are CVS snapshots from last saturday here.
>
> ,----[ C-h v gnus-version RET ]
> | gnus-version is a variable defined in `gnus.el'.
> | Its value is "No Gnus v0.6"
> `----
>
> ,----[ C-h v emacs-version RET ]
> | emacs-version is a variable defined in `version.el'.
> | Its value is "22.0.50.1"
> `----

Hi Tassilo

I've not changed the tramp filename regexp from its default. However,
while I've got the same emacs version as you, my gnus version says No
Gnus v0.4". I'm guessing your running Debian unstable? I'm actually
running Debian Testing with the emacs-snapshot from unstable. That
probably explains the differences.

If its working for you, I won't bother with a bug report as it has
probably been dealt with.

Actually, now that I think about it, I did an upgrade today to the
newest emacs-snapshot. I'll have to check to see if the issue has been
resolved since.

Tim

--

@ 2006-05-15 10:15     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2006-05-15 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null> writes:

Hi Tim,

> I'm guessing your running Debian unstable?

No, Gentoo. But I don't use and prepacked (distribution) snapshots but
get the sources directly from CVS. Those version (0.4 or 22.0.50.1)
numbers don't have a very exact meaning, because they don't change very
often. So it's likely that this bug has already been fixed in CVS, but
the debian snapshots are all too old.

> Actually, now that I think about it, I did an upgrade today to the
> newest emacs-snapshot. I'll have to check to see if the issue has been
> resolved since.

If not, check out the sources directly from CVS.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
A child of five could understand this! Fetch me a child of five!