* ? instead of R as default
@ 2006-05-05  4:50 Fredrik Bulow
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Fredrik Bulow @ 2006-05-05  4:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all!

When there are new posts under a certain thread I wan to see all old
articles in that thread by default. What is the best way to achieve
this?

One obvious solution is to change the default action when a message is
read so that all messages are marked ? instead of r. How do I do this?

/Fredrik

* Re: ? instead of R as default
@ 2006-05-05  5:12 ` Nelson Ferreira
       [not found] ` <mailman.1467.1146814513.9609.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Nelson Ferreira @ 2006-05-05  5:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Fredrik" == Fredrik Bulow <kaliumfredrik@gmail.com> writes:

    Fredrik> Hi all!
    Fredrik> When there are new posts under a certain thread I wan to see all old
    Fredrik> articles in that thread by default. What is the best way to achieve
    Fredrik> this?

I use the following. I started with some, but for deep threads it
impacted performance of group entering, so now I allow upto 40 old
articles to be fetched to complete the threads.

,----[ C-h v gnus-fetch-old-headers RET ]
| `gnus-fetch-old-headers' is a variable declared in Lisp.
|   -- loaded from "gnus-sum"
|
| Value: 40
|
| Documentation:
| *Non-nil means that Gnus will try to build threads by grabbing old headers.
| If an unread article in the group refers to an older, already
| read (or just marked as read) article, the old article will not
| normally be displayed in the Summary buffer.  If this variable is
| t, Gnus will attempt to grab the headers to the old articles, and
| thereby build complete threads.  If it has the value `some', all
| old headers will be fetched but only enough headers to connect
| otherwise loose threads will be displayed.  This variable can
| also be a number.  In that case, no more than that number of old
| headers will be fetched.  If it has the value `invisible', all
| old headers will be fetched, but none will be displayed.
|
| The server has to support NOV for any of this to work.
|
| This feature can seriously impact performance it ignores all
| locally cached header entries.
`----

[...]

--
Nelson Ferreira

* Re: ? instead of R as default
@ 2006-05-05  7:34 ` Leon
       [not found] ` <mailman.1467.1146814513.9609.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Leon @ 2006-05-05  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Fredrik Bulow <kaliumfredrik@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all!
>
> When there are new posts under a certain thread I wan to see all old
> articles in that thread by default. What is the best way to achieve
> this?
>
> One obvious solution is to change the default action when a message is
> read so that all messages are marked ? instead of r. How do I do this?
>
> /Fredrik

key 'A T' to fetch the thread.

--
Leon