* removing dead servers
@ 2020-01-22  4:50 Leo Butler
From: Leo Butler @ 2020-01-22  4:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

What is the right way to do this?

I had set up gnus using gnus-select-method and
gnus-secondary-select-methods to read mail and email. Eventually,
several email servers were dead and I removed them from
gnus-secondary-select-methods but they hung around (in .newsrc.eld?).

Anyhow, after trying and failing to remove them in the *Server* buffer
(they were un-editable), I realized that gnus uses the list
gnus-server-alist for the editable servers. I massaged
gnus-server-alist, edited the dead servers, and problem was solved.

That seems like a lousy way to solve what must be a common problem, but
I couldn't find a better way in the manual. Hence the question that
started the post.

Leo

* Re: removing dead servers
@ 2020-01-22 14:52 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2020-01-22 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Butler; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Leo Butler <leo.butler@umanitoba.ca> writes:

> Anyhow, after trying and failing to remove them in the *Server* buffer
> (they were un-editable), I realized that gnus uses the list
> gnus-server-alist for the editable servers. I massaged
> gnus-server-alist, edited the dead servers, and problem was solved.

You should be able to remove them from gnus-server-alist with the `k'
command.  Only servers that Gnus knows about "from other sources"
(usually mentioned in .gnus.el or .newsrc.eld) can't be killed in that
way.

* Re: removing dead servers
@ 2020-01-22 16:14   ` Leo Butler
From: Leo Butler @ 2020-01-22 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: info-gnus-english

> Leo Butler <leo.butler@umanitoba.ca> writes:
>
>> Anyhow, after trying and failing to remove them in the *Server* buffer
>> (they were un-editable), I realized that gnus uses the list
>> gnus-server-alist for the editable servers. I massaged
>> gnus-server-alist, edited the dead servers, and problem was solved.
>
> You should be able to remove them from gnus-server-alist with the `k'
> command.  Only servers that Gnus knows about "from other sources"
> (usually mentioned in .gnus.el or .newsrc.eld) can't be killed in that
> way.

Yes, that is what I learned eventually. My question was, is there a way
to remove servers "from other sources" other than the one I described
(remove them from .gnus.el, add them to gnus-server-alist and k them)?

Leo

* Re: removing dead servers
@ 2020-01-22 16:20     ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2020-01-22 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Butler; +Cc: info-gnus-english

Leo Butler <leo.butler@umanitoba.ca> writes:

> Yes, that is what I learned eventually. My question was, is there a way
> to remove servers "from other sources" other than the one I described
> (remove them from .gnus.el, add them to gnus-server-alist and k them)?

You don't have to add them from gnus-server-alist.  Just removing them
from .gnus.el (and .newsrc.eld, if any) will make them disappear from
the server buffer after a Gnus (or Emacs?) restart.

* Re: removing dead servers
@ 2020-01-22 17:33       ` Leo Butler
From: Leo Butler @ 2020-01-22 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: info-gnus-english

> Leo Butler <leo.butler@umanitoba.ca> writes:
>
>> Yes, that is what I learned eventually. My question was, is there a way
>> to remove servers "from other sources" other than the one I described
>> (remove them from .gnus.el, add them to gnus-server-alist and k them)?
>
> You don't have to add them from gnus-server-alist.  Just removing them
> from .gnus.el (and .newsrc.eld, if any) will make them disappear from
> the server buffer after a Gnus (or Emacs?) restart.

Ok, I guess I must have missed them in .newsrc.eld for some reason.

Thank you,
Leo