* Processing HTML Emails
@ 2008-02-13 13:45 Jake Colman
       [not found] ` <mailman.7595.1203366913.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Jake Colman @ 2008-02-13 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I'm having trouble figuring out how to process emails containing links
to web pages and HTML emails.

I have two issues:

1) I have configured browse-url to launch firefox.  If I click on a
   link, firefox is launched but it displays its home page and not the
   URL I wanted.

2) If my email is an HTML email, I see the 'text/html' Mime part button.
   If I click on it, the button expands to show me raw HTML.  How do I
   get that text properly rendered?

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

...Jake

--
Jake Colman
Director of Software Development

* Re: Processing HTML Emails
@ 2008-02-18 20:08 ` Charles philip Chan
       [not found] ` <mailman.7595.1203366913.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Charles philip Chan @ 2008-02-18 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:

> 1) I have configured browse-url to launch firefox.  If I click on a
>    link, firefox is launched but it displays its home page and not the
>    URL I wanted.

Strange. How did you set up your browse-url?

> 2) If my email is an HTML email, I see the 'text/html' Mime part
>    button.  If I click on it, the button expands to show me raw HTML.
>    How do I get that text properly rendered?

Integrate it with emacs-w3m:

http://olympus.het.brown.edu/cgi-bin/info2www?(emacs-w3m)Gnus

Charles

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 193 bytes --]

* Re: Processing HTML Emails
@ 2008-02-18 22:57     ` Exal de Jesus Garcia Carrillo
From: Exal de Jesus Garcia Carrillo @ 2008-02-18 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

* Re: Processing HTML Emails
       [not found] ` <mailman.7595.1203366913.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2008-02-18 23:00   ` Jake Colman
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Jake Colman @ 2008-02-18 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

   CpC> Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:
   >> 1) I have configured browse-url to launch firefox.  If I click on a
   >> link, firefox is launched but it displays its home page and not the
   >> URL I wanted.

   CpC> Strange. How did you set up your browse-url?

(setq browse-url-browser-function (quote browse-url-firefox))

If I click on a link, firefox does launch but won't show the correct
page.  If I launch firefox from the command-line and give it a URL, it
works.  Is there something I'm missing about getting the URL passed to
firefox when executed from gnus?

   >> 2) If my email is an HTML email, I see the 'text/html' Mime part
   >> button.  If I click on it, the button expands to show me raw HTML.
   >> How do I get that text properly rendered?

   CpC> Integrate it with emacs-w3m:

   CpC> http://olympus.het.brown.edu/cgi-bin/info2www?(emacs-w3m)Gnus

You find emacs-w3m better than w3?

--
Jake Colman
Director of Software Development
Principia Partners LLC
101 West Elm Street
Suite 620
Conshohocken, PA  19428
+1 (610) 755-9786
www.principiapartners.com

* Re: Processing HTML Emails
@ 2008-02-18 23:45         ` Exal de Jesus Garcia Carrillo
                           ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Exal de Jesus Garcia Carrillo @ 2008-02-18 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Jake Colman em gnu.emacs.gnus escreveu :

>    EdJGC> Try this approach:
>
>    EdJGC> ,----
>    EdJGC> | (setq browse-url-browser-function 'browse-url-firefox
>    EdJGC> |           browse-url-new-window-flag  t
>    EdJGC> |           browse-url-firefox-new-window-is-tab t)
>    EdJGC> `----
>
> Tried that and it still only opens a new firefox window each time and
> that window simply shows the default search page.

Have you re-read your init file (by hit `r' on the group buffer) after
this?, really weird.

> Is there a way for me to see the exactly command-line that is being
> executed?

I'm not sure but may be toggle-debug-on-error.

* Re: Processing HTML Emails
@ 2008-02-18 23:47         ` Exal de Jesus Garcia Carrillo
       [not found]         ` <mailman.7686.1203502377.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Exal de Jesus Garcia Carrillo @ 2008-02-18 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Jake Colman em gnu.emacs.gnus escreveu :

>    EdJGC> Try this approach:
>
>    EdJGC> ,----
>    EdJGC> | (setq browse-url-browser-function 'browse-url-firefox
>    EdJGC> |           browse-url-new-window-flag  t
>    EdJGC> |           browse-url-firefox-new-window-is-tab t)
>    EdJGC> `----
>
> Tried that and it still only opens a new firefox window each time and
> that window simply shows the default search page.

Have you re-read your init file (by hit `r' on the group buffer) after
this?, really weird.

> Is there a way for me to see the exactly command-line that is being
> executed?

I'm not sure but may be toggle-debug-on-error.

* Re: Processing HTML Emails
@ 2008-02-18 23:47       ` Jake Colman
                           ` (3 more replies)
From: Jake Colman @ 2008-02-18 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

@ 2008-02-19 10:16     ` Slackrat
From: Slackrat @ 2008-02-19 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Jake Colman a écrit profondement:

| You find emacs-w3m better than w3?

You may find this useful

in .gnus:

;; I would like gnus to always use Netscape/mozilla
(setq browse-url-browser-function 'browse-url-mozilla)
;; (setq browse-url-browser-function 'browse-url-netscape)

;; Use w3m to render html emails // see .emacs file for load command
(setq mm-text-html-renderer 'w3m)
(setq mm-inline-text-html-with-images t)
(setq mm-inline-large-images t)

;; Show the text/plain part of a multipart
;; Now I'm doing that for GNU Emacs only.
 (setq mm-discouraged-alternatives
       '("text/html"
       "text/richtext"))

in .emacs

;; I want to use W3M
(require 'w3m-load)

And I have the following installed on my system (emacs related only):

 emacs-22.1.tar.gz
 emacs-w3m-1.4.4.tar.gz
 libgc_6.4.orig.tar.gz
 muse-latest.tar.gz
 randomsig.el
 w3m-0.5.2.tar.gz

--
SlackRat

* Re: Processing HTML Emails
@ 2008-02-19 22:27     ` Charles philip Chan
From: Charles philip Chan @ 2008-02-19 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:

> If I click on a link, firefox does launch but won't show the correct
> page.  If I launch firefox from the command-line and give it a URL, it
> works.  Is there something I'm missing about getting the URL passed to
> firefox when executed from gnus?

Strange that this:

,----
| (setq browse-url-browser-function 'browse-url-firefox
|           browse-url-new-window-flag  t
|           browse-url-firefox-new-window-is-tab t)
`----

doesn't work for you. However, I haven't using XEmacs fro a long time-
maybe somthing is different from Emacs. Can you unset the firefox lines
in you init file and try using the browse-url option from one of the
menus (I can't remember which one now, probably "Options" or something
like that) to see if it works.

> You find emacs-w3m better than w3?

Yes, emacs-w3m which is a Emacs frontend to w3m which is about 20x
faster than the slow lisp based w3. Also w3 tend to choke on more
complex pages. emacs-w3m also have this nice feature
"w3m-view-url-with-external-browser" (bound to "M") which will open the
page up in an external browser like firefox.

@ 2008-02-20 10:12         ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found]           ` <mailman.7704.1203536822.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
       [not found]         ` <mailman.7686.1203502377.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2008-02-20 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:

Hi Jake,

> Is there a way for me to see the exactly command-line that is being
> executed?

Yes, I figured it out for you.  It calls something like:

  firefox -remote openURL(www.google.de)
  firefox -remote openURL(www.google.de,new-tab)
  firefox -remote openURL(www.google.de,new-window)

I guess you use an old firefox version that doesn't understand those
options.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Richard Stallman can tell you if your program will halt.  That's because
your program will halt when Richard Stallman tells it to halt.

* Re: Processing HTML Emails
       [not found]         ` <mailman.7686.1203502377.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2008-02-20 13:42           ` Jake Colman
From: Jake Colman @ 2008-02-20 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

   TH> Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:
   TH> Hi Jake,

   >> Is there a way for me to see the exactly command-line that is being
   >> executed?

   TH> Yes, I figured it out for you.  It calls something like:

   TH>   firefox -remote openURL(www.google.de)
   TH>   firefox -remote openURL(www.google.de,new-tab)
   TH>   firefox -remote openURL(www.google.de,new-window)

   TH> I guess you use an old firefox version that doesn't understand those
   TH> options.

Bingo!  My firefox doesn't understand that command-line.  Thanks.  Now
let me see if I can get my IS group to update firefox on my sun box.

Thanks!

--

@ 2008-02-20 14:38             ` Jake Colman
From: Jake Colman @ 2008-02-20 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

   TH> Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:
   TH> Hi Jake,

   >>> Is there a way for me to see the exactly command-line that is being
   >>> executed?

   TH> Yes, I figured it out for you.  It calls something like:

   TH> firefox -remote openURL(www.google.de)
   TH> firefox -remote openURL(www.google.de,new-tab)
   TH> firefox -remote openURL(www.google.de,new-window)

   TH> I guess you use an old firefox version that doesn't understand those
   TH> options.

   JC> Bingo!  My firefox doesn't understand that command-line.  Thanks.  Now
   JC> let me see if I can get my IS group to update firefox on my sun box.

   JC> Thanks!

It appears that firefox 2.0 no longer understands that command-line.
That syntax is for firfox 1.0 and is no longer supported.  A simple

     firefox www.google.de

will open the URL in a new tab of an existing browser or will launch a
new browser.

--

@ 2008-02-20 18:17           ` Charles philip Chan
       [not found]           ` <mailman.7704.1203536822.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Charles philip Chan @ 2008-02-20 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

> Yes, I figured it out for you.  It calls something like:
>
>   firefox -remote openURL(www.google.de)
>   firefox -remote openURL(www.google.de,new-tab)
>   firefox -remote openURL(www.google.de,new-window)
>
> I guess you use an old firefox version that doesn't understand those
> options.

No, it is ancient firefox versions that uses this commandline format. If
the OP needs this, then it is time to upgrade firefox.

@ 2008-02-21  2:00             ` Jake Colman
From: Jake Colman @ 2008-02-21  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

   CpC> Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> writes:
   >> Yes, I figured it out for you.  It calls something like:
   >>
   >> firefox -remote openURL(www.google.de)
   >> firefox -remote openURL(www.google.de,new-tab)
   >> firefox -remote openURL(www.google.de,new-window)
   >>
   >> I guess you use an old firefox version that doesn't understand
   >> those options.

   CpC> No, it is ancient firefox versions that uses this commandline
   CpC> format. If the OP needs this, then it is time to upgrade
   CpC> firefox.

My firefox is current.  It's browse-url that needs upgrading!