* Emacs splash screen when starting gnus
@ 2007-11-05 21:45 andrew
From: andrew @ 2007-11-05 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi,

 I start gnus with the following alias in ~./bashrc:

alias gnus='emacs -f gnus'

but when I type 'gnus'in a Terminal window  I initially get the gnus
startup screen but then followed by the generic emacs startup screen.
Selecting this window manually with mouse rids me of this screen and
returne me to the gnus window.

Is there a way around this?

           Andrew
--
Among the tales of sorrow and of ruin that come down to us
from the darkness of those days there are yet some in which

* Re: Emacs splash screen when starting gnus
@ 2007-11-05 21:59 ` andrew
From: andrew @ 2007-11-05 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

andrew <andrew@ilium.invalid> writes:

> Hi,
>
>  I start gnus with the following alias in ~./bashrc:
>
> alias gnus='emacs -f gnus'
>
> but when I type 'gnus'in a Terminal window  I initially get the gnus
> startup screen but then followed by the generic emacs startup screen.
> Selecting this window manually with mouse rids me of this screen and
> returne me to the gnus window.
>
> Is there a way around this?

Hmmm... well I seem to have solved the problem with:

alias gnus='emacs --no-splash -f  gnus'

Is this the best way to do this?

         Andrew

--

@ 2007-11-06 13:18   ` Sebastian Panknin
From: Sebastian Panknin @ 2007-11-06 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hello,

this behavior seems to be a new feature. To prevent it you can
set inhibit-splash-screen to t in your .emacs file

(setq inhibit-splash-screen t)

But note that the splash screen is the even gone if you open emacs
without a command of file aguemnt.

However the commandline switch has the same effect.

Cheers!
Sebastian
--
Sebastian Panknin                                     < >    NVLLA ROSA
Humboldt University, Berlin                         < >o< >  SINE SPINIS

* Re: Emacs splash screen when starting gnus
@ 2007-11-06 22:25     ` andrew
From: andrew @ 2007-11-06 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Sebastian Panknin <panknin@physik.hu-berlin.de> writes:

> this behavior seems to be a new feature. To prevent it you can
> set inhibit-splash-screen to t in your .emacs file
>
> (setq inhibit-splash-screen t)

Thanks for this, I have added this line. I have a morbid loathing of
splash screens anyway :-)

> But note that the splash screen is the even gone if you open emacs
> without a command of file aguemnt.
>
> However the commandline switch has the same effect.

Thanks very much for your assistance,

         Andrew