* Run a function when new mail arrives
@ 2007-01-18 16:02 Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2007-01-18 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I use Gnus with an IMAP account and let gnus demon check for new mail
every 5 minutes of emacs idle time.

Now I'd like to run a function whenever new mail arrives.

Is (or better how) is that possible?

Regards,
Tassilo
--
A morning without coffee is like something without something else.

* Re: Run a function when new mail arrives
@ 2007-01-18 17:25 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-01-18 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jan 18 2007, Tassilo Horn wrote:

> I use Gnus with an IMAP account and let gnus demon check for new mail
> every 5 minutes of emacs idle time.
>
> Now I'd like to run a function whenever new mail arrives.
>
> Is (or better how) is that possible?

There's `nnmail-prepare-save-mail-hook', but probably this is only run
for `mail-sources'.  I don't know if there's something similar for
IMAP.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Run a function when new mail arrives
@ 2007-01-18 18:11   ` Ted Zlatanov
       [not found]     ` <mailman.3267.1169150099.2155.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2007-01-18 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 18 Jan 2007, reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc wrote:

On Thu, Jan 18 2007, Tassilo Horn wrote:

>> I use Gnus with an IMAP account and let gnus demon check for new mail
>> every 5 minutes of emacs idle time.
>>
>> Now I'd like to run a function whenever new mail arrives.
>>
>> Is (or better how) is that possible?
>
> There's `nnmail-prepare-save-mail-hook', but probably this is only run
> for `mail-sources'.  I don't know if there's something similar for
> IMAP.

You could run something in the nn*-split-fancy list, and always return nil
(so it will not actually affect the splitting).

Ted

* Re: Run a function when new mail arrives
@ 2007-01-18 19:54     ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found]     ` <mailman.3267.1169150099.2155.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2007-01-18 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

Hi Ted,

>>> I use Gnus with an IMAP account and let gnus demon check for new
>>> mail every 5 minutes of emacs idle time.
>>>
>>> Now I'd like to run a function whenever new mail arrives.
>
> You could run something in the nn*-split-fancy list, and always return
> nil (so it will not actually affect the splitting).

I tried this:

,----[ ~/.gnus.el ]
| (defun th-new-imap-mail ()
|   (shell-command (concat "append-to-dwm-statusbar.fish "
|                          "Gnus: New mail!"))
|   nil)
|
| (setq nnimap-split-rule 'nnimap-split-fancy
|       nnimap-split-fancy '(: th-new-imap-mail))
`----

But the function `th-new-imap-mail' is never run.

Any ideas?

Bye,
Tassilo
--
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it
needs to be.

@ 2007-01-18 21:51       ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2007-01-18 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 18 Jan 2007, tassilo@member.fsf.org wrote:

> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>
> Hi Ted,

>> You could run something in the nn*-split-fancy list, and always return
>> nil (so it will not actually affect the splitting).
>
> I tried this:
>
> ,----[ ~/.gnus.el ]
> | (defun th-new-imap-mail ()
> |   (shell-command (concat "append-to-dwm-statusbar.fish "
> |                          "Gnus: New mail!"))
> |   nil)
> |
> | (setq nnimap-split-rule 'nnimap-split-fancy
> |       nnimap-split-fancy '(: th-new-imap-mail))
> `----
>
> But the function `th-new-imap-mail' is never run.
>
> Any ideas?

Get split-fancy running without the function (just send the mail to
INBOX.mail or whatever you like).  Then you can add functions--the
problem is likely to be that the split-fancy stuff is not running
correctly.

My setup is appended in case it helps...  I use nnimap-split-rule
because I have 4 servers in there.

Ted

(defun nnimap-courier-lifelogs-split-fancy ()
  (let ((nnimap-split-fancy nnimap-courier-lifelogs-split-fancy)
	(spam-split-group "INBOX.spam"))
    (nnimap-split-fancy)))

(setq
 ;;; my server name matches "lifelogs"
 nnimap-split-rule '(
		     ("lifelogs" ("INBOX" nnimap-courier-lifelogs-split-fancy)))
 nnimap-split-inbox "INBOX"
 nnimap-courier-lifelogs-split-fancy '(|
		      (: gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent)
		      (: spam-split 'spam-use-regex-headers)
;;; more rules...
		      (any "ding" "INBOX.ding")
;;; more rules...