* Always show 20 posts
@ 2006-07-31 11:31 Hadron Quark
       [not found] ` <mailman.4683.1154348731.9609.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-07-31 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

How to show only the last "N" read posts if "read emails or posts" are not displayed normally?

* Re: Always show 20 posts
@ 2006-07-31 12:25 ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found] ` <mailman.4683.1154348731.9609.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2006-07-31 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hadron,

,----[ C-h v gnus-fetch-old-headers RET ]
| gnus-fetch-old-headers is a variable defined in `gnus-sum.el'.
| Its value is some
|
| Documentation:
| *Non-nil means that Gnus will try to build threads by grabbing old
| headers.  If an unread article in the group refers to an older,
| already read (or just marked as read) article, the old article will
| not normally be displayed in the Summary buffer.  If this variable is
| t, Gnus will attempt to grab the headers to the old articles, and
| thereby build complete threads.  If it has the value `some', all old
| headers will be fetched but only enough headers to connect otherwise
| loose threads will be displayed.  This variable can also be a number.
| In that case, no more than that number of old headers will be fetched.
| If it has the value `invisible', all old headers will be fetched, but
| none will be displayed.
|
| The server has to support NOV for any of this to work.
|
| This feature can seriously impact performance it ignores all
| locally cached header entries.
`----

==>

  (setq gnus-fetch-old-headers 20)

HTH,
Tassilo
--
A child of five could understand this! Fetch me a child of five!

* Re: Always show 20 posts
       [not found] ` <mailman.4683.1154348731.9609.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2006-07-31 12:45   ` Hadron Quark
From: Hadron Quark @ 2006-07-31 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tassilo Horn <heimdall@uni-koblenz.de> writes:

> Hadron Quark <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:
>
> Hi Hadron,
>
>> How to show only the last "N" read posts if "read emails or posts" are not
>> displayed normally?
>
> ,----[ C-h v gnus-fetch-old-headers RET ]
> | gnus-fetch-old-headers is a variable defined in `gnus-sum.el'.
> | Its value is some
> |
> | Documentation:
> | *Non-nil means that Gnus will try to build threads by grabbing old
> | headers.  If an unread article in the group refers to an older,
> | already read (or just marked as read) article, the old article will
> | not normally be displayed in the Summary buffer.  If this variable is
> | t, Gnus will attempt to grab the headers to the old articles, and
> | thereby build complete threads.  If it has the value `some', all old
> | headers will be fetched but only enough headers to connect otherwise
> | loose threads will be displayed.  This variable can also be a number.
> | In that case, no more than that number of old headers will be fetched.
> | If it has the value `invisible', all old headers will be fetched, but
> | none will be displayed.
> |
> | The server has to support NOV for any of this to work.
> |
> | This feature can seriously impact performance it ignores all
> | locally cached header entries.
> `----
>
> ==>
>
>   (setq gnus-fetch-old-headers 20)

Hi Tassilo, it doesnt seem to work with Leafnode which I guess is
"locally cached header entires"? Although maybe not, because Leafnode
provides the local NNTP access.