* New to gnus
@ 2002-09-12 13:19 Glenn Ivar Klausen
       [not found] ` <878z276zk3.fsf@millingtons.org>
From: Glenn Ivar Klausen @ 2002-09-12 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm new to gnus, and are using the Gnus manual to configure it, but that
is quite a hassle since the manual is to general to be of any help with
the specific settings.

Eg. How do I subscribe to groups? I've set the

(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.online.no"))

and I manage to log into the server, but I do not know how to subscribe.
When I press the subscribe button, the minibuffer prints out:

-> no more newsgroups.

And when it in the manual is stated this:

"You'll also be subscribed to the Gnus documentation group, which should
help you with most common problems. "

Would that be this group ??? Since I've not been able to subscribe to
any group I just do not have a clue (these kind of statements in the
manual are very frustrating when you are a newbie and tring to make an
effort to learn).

And the variable

gnus-default-subscribed-newsgroups

if I would like to subscribe to

gnu.emacs.gnus, comp.emacs.xemacs and no.it.diverse. How would I do
that?

I'va manage to subscribe to two groups by the command U in the
minibuffer, but it responds

-> Couldn't open server.

When I tried to read the group. How do I reopen the server?

When I start gnus from xemacs, using M-x gnus, I get the error:

-> (6) (sream/warning) failure to open network stream to host
"news.online.no" for service "nntp"

I assume this is because I was not prompted for username and password.
Why not? And it there a possibility to set this permanent so that I dont
have to enter this every time?

Plese help me with these matters so I can get my gnus running.

Glenn