* Re: add function to get time from message id's
@ 2003-08-09  7:50 Dan Jacobson
       [not found] ` <87smoaib9n.fsf@cleopatra.clsnet.nl>
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2003-08-09  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Wishlist: add a function to extract as much information as possible
> from gnus Message-ID's.
>
> E.g. I am the FBI, I want to know when <87adalyvmw.fsf@jidanni.org>
> was created. I hear that 87adalyvmw contains time information.

< Messages already have a "Date" header.  How is this useful?

Here at FBI Labs, all we have is the suspect's Message-ID.

@ 2003-08-10  1:33   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-08-10  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10 Aug 2003, cor@clsnet.nl wrote:
> Dan Jacobson <jidanni@jidanni.org> writes:
>
>> > Wishlist: add a function to extract as much information as
>> > possible from gnus Message-ID's.
>> >
>> > E.g. I am the FBI, I want to know when
>> > <87adalyvmw.fsf@jidanni.org> was created. I hear that 87adalyvmw
>> > contains time information.
>>
>> < Messages already have a "Date" header.  How is this useful?
>>
>> Here at FBI Labs, all we have is the suspect's Message-ID.
>

> hint,hint,nudge,nuge
> google ?
> It would safe the taxpayer some billions.....;-)

Google doesn't archive personal mail...  I thought of suggesting
Google or something like it but Dan really just needs to archive
messages of interest, not only the Message-IDs.  Using the Message-ID
for any parsing is unreliable at best.

Ted

* Re: add function to get time from message id's
@ 2003-08-10  2:38     ` Cor Gest
From: Cor Gest @ 2003-08-10  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> >> < Messages already have a "Date" header.  How is this useful?
> >>
> >> Here at FBI Labs, all we have is the suspect's Message-ID.
> >

> > hint,hint,nudge,nuge
> > google ?
> > It would safe the taxpayer some billions.....;-)
>
> Google doesn't archive personal mail...  I thought of suggesting
> Google or something like it but Dan really just needs to archive
> messages of interest, not only the Message-IDs.  Using the Message-ID
> for any parsing is unreliable at best.

Indeed, if I would be someone with really non-nice mails to sent I
would make sure all-ID's were the same on every mail, and all dates
rewritten to the same date, and ofcourse use 4096-strong-encryption
and anonymousely remailed through at least 5 anonymizing-remailers.
Even spammers use some of those tricks...

And then again, using packet-radio on an HF-frequency would do
the trick nicely too and also much simpler and really untraceable.
A nice side-effect is that the receiving-end nor the sender
have to be "at-any-home" at all ...;-)

cor

--
(setq  reply-to (concatenate 'string "Cor Gest "" <cor"'(#\@)"clsnet.nl>"))
  500 Years ago the Inca used strings to communicate, computers still do.

* Re: add function to get time from message id's
       [not found] <878yq5yvgj.fsf@jidanni.org>
@ 2003-08-08 17:12 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-08-08 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)