From: "Adam Sjøgren" <asjo@koldfront.dk>
To: info-gnus-english@gnu.org
Subject: Re: delete downloaded marked emails after specific days & pop3 advice
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2022 08:41:23 +0100	[thread overview]

Eric writes:

>> (d) seriously, reconsidering to use getmail
>> to fetch all emails through pop3, is it good
>> idea. pop3 supports or recognises only one
>> directory —inbox & does it mean it will include
>> spam emails in inbox?
>
> If you don't care about the state of the server, and would prefer to not
> leave messages there, then yes I think using a pop3 mail-source might be
> a better option than mbsync. You can still use nnmaildir locally, with
> split rules that send incoming mail there.
>
> I don't use this and I don't know if pop will pull messages from
> multiple folders; the docs don't mention any relevant config.

I think POP is from before mail folders on the mail server was a thing?

You can also "use IMAP as POP" - instead of how IMAP was intended to be
used - eg. if your mail server doesn't have POP, which is what I do:

  ; Get local mail, and use IMAPS as well:
  (setq mail-sources '((file)
                       (imap :server "mail.koldfront.dk" :stream tls)))

This downloads the email from the server and stores it locally, marking
the email as deleted on the server. As far as I remember it just gets
the email from INBOX per default; I do splitting locally.

Yep, Gnus says:

    Reading incoming mail from imap...
    imap: Connecting to mail.koldfront.dk...
    Waiting for response from mail.koldfront.dk...done
    imap: Authenticating to ‘mail.koldfront.dk’ using ‘login’...
    imap: Plaintext authentication...
    imap: Login successful...
    imap: Authenticating to ‘mail.koldfront.dk’ using ‘login’...done
    Fetching from INBOX...
    nnml: Reading incoming mail (no new mail)...done

See details here: https://gnus.org/manual/gnus_84.html#Mail-Sources

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "I pragmatically turn my whims into principles!"           Adam Sjøgren
                                                       asjo@koldfront.dk